Myth 3 to Myth 2 backwards port

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

You know what would be nice? I am unable to play myth 3 on any computer that I own, not my Mac, not my PC. There is always some odd error, or graphic problem, or other issue. I have tried patches and plugins. NOTHING WORKS. Needless to say since I am posting this, I would very much like to play myth 3. I think it would be a good idea to play myth 3 using the myth 2 engine. Although you would not have the same graphic quality, I still think it could be a popular and enjoyable plugin. Is anyone working on this? Could anyone work on this? I think there are more than a few people who would like to play myth 3 but do not own it or have trippy errors like me...
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

I'm sorry to hear you can't get M3 to run (maybe post in the Technical Support section and see if they can help you), but I don't think anyone is going to undertake the huge amount of work required to port the game. Zeph has ported the Trow Iron Warrior though, and may port other units in the future, so you can at least enjoy some of the units.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I think for every problem posed by such a project there'd be an innovative solution. For instance, the sheet ice that caves in on the later levels on M3 could perhaps be mimicked by a mesh-collapsing projectile like in Bushido.

And with 1.5, lots of M3 unit features and attacks could be recreated.
But... I've never seriously contemplated such a project because so much of M3 was balls, I'd be too tempted to remake most of it myself, and at the end of the day it'd probably just be a vaguely similar campaign.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

Zeph ported an Iron Trow to Myth 2. Iron Trow
If you want to do it yourself, or assist in making such an ambitious project: you could recreate a M3 mesh and put Iron Trow in it.
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

William Wallet wrote:I think for every problem posed by such a project there'd be an innovative solution. For instance, the sheet ice that caves in on the later levels on M3 could perhaps be mimicked by a mesh-collapsing projectile like in Bushido.
I didn't mean to imply it couldn't be done. I just meant that it would take forever and nobody wants to make it that badly.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

I also did a Hearthguard which you can see in my next map and TFV! :0
ShadeOfWar

Post by ShadeOfWar »

I'm kind of sorry I happened to read this, because it once again reminds me of everything which for me is connects with when large companies make sequels for projects they did not begin. Three examples fly in my face...

Looking Glass Studios... = Thief 1, the one and only first-person sneaker up to date, and follows it up with Thief 2. LGS closes its doors in 2000. Four years later, Eidos Interactive releases Thief 3 four years later. Practically nobody but the original fan community will play it.

Bungie... = Myth, one of the two real-time strategy games up to date (don't get me started on Age of Empires and the ilk), follows the same pattern with slightly different dates and Take Two instead of Eidos. (Take Two does a worse job than Eidos.)

The third case is a bit different. Blizzard releases Warcraft II, which isn't all that brilliant as actual strategy or micro-management goes but has a feel to it you never felt before. In 1998 comes Starcraft, the second of the world's two real-time strategy games, which is only just inferior to Myth. Its physics engine and editor are far more limited, and ultimately the Myth gameplay is more innovative. SC's current fanbase is slightly less than a hundred times larger than Myth's.

Blizzard takes some unsuccesful Diablo detours (if you really believe in the customers being right, you won't be reading this anymore) and then makes Warcraft III with a better editor and a better engine - though these still fail to live up to Myth's. The 3D look is cool and utterly unrealistic. The game itself got boring after the 25th online match.

World of Warcraft? Phaugh.

And they all lived happily ever after. They were rich, you see.

Perhaps we live in an age where the style is more important than the idea. Even that would produce sufferable results, though, if it was clear that there WAS an idea behind it all.
And who by fire
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

So uh. I guess that means your not gonna port m3 levels for us?
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

It's interesting Thief should be brought up, because that was a case of the 3rd game actually being *good*. Ha-ha. Too bad it didn't work out the same way for Myth.
But seriously, Thief is my favourite series of games outside of Myth, all 3 games kicked bottom.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em