Snow that stays on map

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

I recently made a simple blizzard-type spell for a unit, but was wondering how I might go about making the snow from the projectile group stick on the ground. I do not want to load up the ground with idle projectiles. I was thinking of making something similar to the guts blood projectile except tinted so that it stains the mesh like blood but it is white. Problem is, I dont know what coll. ref. contains the blood sprite. Is there a way to do this while preserving the original guts blood? I dont want my units bleeding white.
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

I believe the colour the blood is on the map is defined in the mesh info in Fear. So, you can't really have multi-coloured blood on the same mesh.

Nice idea though.
-TGP-
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

:) Da Cid (: McCl wrote:I believe the colour the blood is on the map is defined in the mesh info in Fear. So, you can't really have multi-coloured blood on the same mesh.

Nice idea though.
-TGP-

Hmmm... what about Shiver's blood then? There's a level where you get 2 kinds of blood on one map.
I think blood colour can be defined by whatever sequence you choose to be "Debris", can't it?

Worth investigating I suppose.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Shiver's blood is a stain, which is also defined but unlike blood can't be adjusted unfortunately.
One possibility is to try using invisible projectiles that stick around (or last a reasonable time), and have a shadow, make this shadow light, and in the mesh tag in fear play around with the light settings to try and make 'light' shadows pure white and as opaque as possible.

Supplement it with some snow particles lying around and it might give a decent effect, you won't get anything perfect though.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

Shiver's blood is part of the spider collection, the color cannot be changed in the debis field. How can I go about changing the color of the blood? I tried tinting the spider coll. ref. white but to no avail. I believe the blood is taken directly from the collection and doesn't use a coll. ref. I couldnt find one anyways...

Speaking of such things, it would also be delightfully convienient if I could make a frozen effect on units. I could change the paralysis color from purple to white or blue and remove the little gas clouds. The question is... how?
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

Wow looks like I um... replied at the same time.
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

Would it be possible to export the spider collection using Tahoe, tint everything white and import it? That way I could have a completely separate blood collection for my snow.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Hmm... well if black blood is in the spider collection, surely one could just make a new blood collection to suit their purposes?

PS. Different colour for paralysis, wasn't this done in Homeland for some unit?
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

If you want the collection ref for the spider collection, just check the mons file for the spider as it should have a Collection Ref. scrollbar in it's upperleft corner.. right?

Then it's just a matter of tinting, or export the collection tags with tahoe and have a go at it..
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

The projectile string doesn't use a collection reference, it takes the blood frames directly from the collection.

As for tahoe, Im probably just ignorant as I never really use the program but could someone tell me what Im doing wrong.

1. I duplicated the spider collection, renamed it, and opened it in tahoe.

2. I exported the bitmaps for the 31 blood frames.

3. I opened the bitmaps in photoshop and increased both the brightness and contrast by 100%.

(PROBLEM) 4. When I tried to replace the collection bitmaps with the edited ones, nothing changed. There were no errors or anything, it replaced the bitmap with an unedited copy. I opened the edited bitmaps in photoshop and found that they were just grayscale images of the originals. What is happening!?

P.S. About that wight? Ive never played Homeland, could someone give me a link.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Unfortunately you can't change the paralysis colour, as its hard-coded in Myth. It looked different in Homeland by comparison with the colormap and units, but it wasn't really different.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Although it always looked like Bungie was going to let you, there's an internal paralysis colour collection reference or something like that, attached to internal monster effects.

As for changing spider blood, it will NOT work. Spider blood stains are determined by the debris graphic, which is mostly a shadow stain, which is determined by the lighting settings of the map, which I've already told you :p
The only thing in the collection you can change is the colour of the blood itself (ie as it falls to the ground), not the stain on the ground.

USE SHADOWS is the only way unless your attack is useable only in certain areas. To use the shadows, give your snow particles stain effect, (just like a dwarf), but make it white, with a shadow tagged as "Is light" in the collection (you'll need someone with Amber to do this for you), alternatively use a sequence you know is light already, e.g a warlock fireball explosion piece casts a 'light' shadow.
Then alter the light settings of your mesh to make it look as much like snow as possible.

But as I say, it's unlikely to be perfect.
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

Thanks for the help haravikk. Now I just have to find someone with Amber to help me. Any word on the PC Amber? Anyone? Sigh...
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Well, to start off, try creating a test projectile using the warlock collection, and for debris, choose the warlock fireball piece, since you know it's shadow is tagged as 'light'. Then (running on a test mesh to avoid wrecking your main one) you can try playing with different light settings and this projectile (fired by a test unit) to see if you can get the snow effect.
I'm interested by this too now actually, so I might give it a try if I find time, it's possible it may require some alterations to the colour map, for example lightening in, then darkening the shadow map, otherwise the snow effect could damage your overall lighting.
Hmmm....