Extracting plugins

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Krille

Extracting plugins

Post by Krille »

Hey, I'm trying to extract a plugin,
back in the days I used Tag Extractor for this kinda stuff, but the thing is that I don't have classic no more. Is there any other tag extracting app out there for osX or windows? What I wanna do is exctract the whole plug and not just parts.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

I use Topaz (PC) for extracting stuff, though extracting every tag in a plug like Mazz V or TSG means you'll get crazy aches in your fingers from ctrl+e action.. I'm sure there are easier ways, I just haven't thought of any.. :D

So using Topaz to just have a look at scripts might or might not be overkill :D
Krille

Post by Krille »

Thanks, the plug doesn't have that many tags so I should be fine.
altho one for osX would be nicer :)
Eddaweaver

Re: ...

Post by Eddaweaver »

TheHelmet wrote:I use Topaz (PC) for extracting stuff, though extracting every tag in a plug like Mazz V or TSG means you'll get crazy aches in your fingers from ctrl+e action.. I'm sure there are easier ways, I just haven't thought of any.. :D

So using Topaz to just have a look at scripts might or might not be overkill :D
Try using the "Disassemble" command in Topaz rather than the "extract" command to decompile an entire plugin.
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

Baak

Post by Baak »

I've always used Topaz on Windows but wanted to at least check out Kill's UnTag for Windows, but the PlayMyth Download link appears broken (when you try to download)?

Anyone have a copy lying around? Does it have a bug or two (since the ratings on the Windows version are mixed)?

Thanks!
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Yeah Topaz has the "Disassemble" command. But thats if you are using the PC. UnTag is recent and works for TFL gor files, Myth 2 plugins, and Myth 3 plugins.
Krille

Post by Krille »

Nice sweet, now I don't have to bug my windows friends as soon as I wanna extract a plug :)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Baak wrote:I've always used Topaz on Windows but wanted to at least check out Kill's UnTag for Windows, but the PlayMyth Download link appears broken (when you try to download)?

Anyone have a copy lying around? Does it have a bug or two (since the ratings on the Windows version are mixed)?

Thanks!
[blatant self-promotion mode on]

According to the Tools page at Mything.org Untag can be found in KillSwitch's upload folder at udogs.

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/ User Uploads/Killswitch's Uploads

[blatant promotion mode off]
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
TheHelmet

!

Post by TheHelmet »

Ah, heh, disassemble..!
Never dared try that one, thanks a bunch guys, no more finger cramps! :D
Baak

Re: !

Post by Baak »

TheHelmet wrote:Ah, heh, disassemble..!
Never dared try that one, thanks a bunch guys, no more finger cramps! :D
:shock:

There are some shortcuts that probably most people have discovered in Fear when you start repeating simple actions like crazy. Start typing and see if it doesn't take you to that item in a list (or at least close), like "wa" gets you at or close to "warlock" in a list. Also figure out where you can use tab and return to scroll through GUI buttons and hit ok without using the mouse.

I finally realized you could do this kind of thing after hundreds of hours over the years mouse-clicking thousands of times... DOH! :)
TheHelmet

..!

Post by TheHelmet »

What the..! I hadn't really looked lately but it appears my version of Topaz doesn't have a disassemble command (any more)?!

Heh, I just recently started using that whole typing in the first letters of a tag to get their fast with just about anything I do, I bet it will shave off hours from the workload when added over a year :oops: 8)
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Maybe you've got an old version of Topaz, because my copy does have disassemble.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

I think I got mine from somewhere on HL, or I might have had it on an old cd, where did you get yours from?
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

I got it so long ago I can't remember, but these are the vital statistics for you:

File: Topaz.exe
Version: 1.0.0.1
Size: 143,360 bytes
Last Modified: Friday, 4 June 1999, 3:55:16 a.m.

It's the same as the one on hl.udogs.net
http://hl.udogs.net/files/Gaming/%20Myt ... /Topaz.zip