photoshop

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
sgt zim

photoshop

Post by sgt zim »

hello, new to the community, but been playing myth since i was young, and finally decided to brave the editor :D

ok so im taking baby steps atm,so i jus need someone to give me advice on how to make a colour map on photoshop, i have absolutly no idea how to do it, already read the info about loathing and that, but im still clueless :roll:

oh btw can i use myth ground texturs or do i have to import my own ?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Try doing a search I bet there has been many topics like yours before where you can get some info.
sgt zim

Post by sgt zim »

cant find nothing m8 :(

do you know anyway i can download a pre rendered mesh ?

most world editors nowdays seem a lot more simpler
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I did a quick search and I did find some topics where people ask about this before. Did you really try? :P Maybe a different word or words to search for?
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

If you want to look at a pre-rendered colourmap, open Loathing and open a map. Then go to Maps, Color Map, then Export.

You don't need to create a new colormap to create a new map - you can use an existing map.
sgt zim

Post by sgt zim »

can i duplicate an existing map, because i dont wanna ruin the main game map for when i want to play through it again
sgt zim

Post by sgt zim »

btw how do i play one of the pre made maps in the game? (the non story ones)
point and laugh

Post by point and laugh »

You can duplicate an existing map several different ways.
You can go into Fear and duplicate the map in the mesh section, which will copy everything (maps, unit placements, map actions, etc...), or you can export whichever map (color, displacement, etc...) you want from the level you want, start a new file, re-import them (You must have a color map), and edit it from there.

And you can play a multiplayer map by hosting a game in either playmyth.net, mariusnet.com, or TCP/IP and selecting the level you want.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Thankfully you cannot ruin anything in the game by making a new map because the information is placed in the Local folder, not the Tags or Plugins folders as the game data is. Having things in the Local folder can interfer with playing Myth 2, but you only need to rename the Local folder while you're playing, and rename it back when you're map-making.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

the loathing documentations has some important information as to how to create a map. I suggest you start by reading this only to understand how maps are made. There's no such thing as a pre-rendered map in myth.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

sgt zim wrote:cant find nothing m8 :(

do you know anyway i can download a pre rendered mesh ?

most world editors nowdays seem a lot more simpler
Try the myth graveyard or if that's too much, try browsing just the Myth II Mapmaking articles. For beginning mapmaking I would recommend the documents titled "Mapmaking for Newbies" &/or "Magellan's Quick and Dirty Guide to Myth 2 Mapmaking". Once you have absorbed that knowledge there are more advanced guides related to different aspects of mapmaking.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.