how to make maps/units for myth 2??

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
alzapa

how to make maps/units for myth 2??

Post by alzapa »

ok I would like to make some myth 2 units/maps but dont know how to use the loathing and fear tools. Where is a good site to lear how to do this stuff?
Point

start with the fear and loathing documents

Post by Point »

start with the fear and loathing documents
then check out hl.udogs.net for tools templates and tricks..
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

there's an "online" fear, with most parts of it explained...
it's probably outdated now though, but it works to get the basics right...

but I have no idea where it's hosted exactly, i'll check my home laptop for url tonight, maybe i have it in bookmarks.
alzapa

Post by alzapa »

thanks for the help so far, and yes please tell me if you find the sote brainbug.

also sorry for the new person question, but were is the fear and loathing documents? I have looked for them and cant find them.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

Here is where you can get the docs.
http://hl.udogs.net/files/Myth%20II%201 ... 20Docs.zip

also, a quick tip would be not to try to go too fast. I suggest you lay the new units aside for a moment unless you have some very strong 3d modelling/animating skills.

The best way to start is modifying existing units using fear and using original bungie maps to make your own.

To make a map from scratch, you will need to learn a good 2d graphic program such as photoshop. You can get some guides about this here
http://hl.udogs.net/files/Useful_Tools/
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

http://mything.org/index.php?a=article- ... v3=article

here are some articles about m2 mapmaking
alzapa

Post by alzapa »

thanks every one for all the help, it looks like you guys gave me unuff info.

now I will be off to read the all the links you guys gave me. and thanks for the tip about not trying to go to fast.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Open myth_log.txt which is in your Myth2 folder after a crash while map-making to see what has caused the crash.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Agree with Zeph (among others) that starting small is a very good idea. :)

Create a small map with existing units (don't even modify them via Fear at this point).

You can even use existing "unit sets" as a model (also a great idea). For example: Create a new map by following one or more of the tutorials/guides listed above, and then populate it with units from an existing Bungie map such as Venice.

Create a four- or six- team map and then a two-team map (with more units) in the same plugin.

Once you've done this, you'll have a LOT of good basic experience under your belt, will have the confidence (and knowledge) to proceed to bigger projects, and will avoid the pitfall of getting overwhelmed from the get-go. :)
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

Zeph wrote:Here is where you can get the docs.
http://hl.udogs.net/files/Myth%20II%201 ... 20Docs.zip
I wonder why no one told me about them about these...
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
alzapa

Post by alzapa »

were can I get some color maps that are pre-maid? I am not a artest I just want to mess around with some pre-maid color maps.

thanks for the help
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Eddaweaver wrote:Open myth_log.txt which is in your Myth2 folder after a crash while map-making to see what has caused the crash.
What a pesimistic attitude :wink:

But yes, you have to be prepared for these annoying crashes.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

alzapa wrote:were can I get some color maps that are pre-maid? I am not a artest I just want to mess around with some pre-maid color maps.

thanks for the help
You can open a map in Loathing and export the colormap to save as a .bmp or .pict file.
alzapa

Post by alzapa »

Eddaweaver wrote:
alzapa wrote:were can I get some color maps that are pre-maid? I am not a artest I just want to mess around with some pre-maid color maps.

thanks for the help
You can open a map in Loathing and export the colormap to save as a .bmp or .pict file.
will that mess with the map I took the colormap from, or just make a copy of it?
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

he meant you can export the colour map to bmp or jpg file and then open photoshop, change it, then import it again, altering the original map
that way you get to taste what it's like to colour map

(you can always revert to the original by deleting in collection folder inside LOCAL folder, the collection you just created by changing the map-it will appear with the name of it)

once you are ready you can grab a tutorial of colour mapping and set to do your own maps
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.