Talk about anything here.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Grayswandir wrote:Sphere of Annihilation bouncing around for 2+ hours
It times out after a bit
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

Something's going down. And I think it's these lines in the script:

(plte) Player "ChrisP uDog" in the game? True.
Activate on success "(dite) Is it on Heroic or Leg?"
(dite) Is it on Heroic or Leg? True.
Activate on success "(lfeu) Screw up the map, quick, before they win!"

I HAVE UNCOVERED THE TRU7H.
-TGP-
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Thanks to Myrd, the source of the problem has been identified. As it turns out, it's caused by red dragon breath attacks. Each time a red dragon breaths fire, several of the 24 allowable explosions are permanently used up. Enough red dragons breath and it will tie up most of the explosion slots for the rest of the game. There are a few more red dragons on Heroic than lesser difficulties, which explains one thing, but as to why it happens to you guys and not to us, well, my guess is it was happening to us, but never to the extent where it became so obvious. Maybe we managed to kill more red dragons before they breathed on us, I dunno.

In one of the last betas, Jagman modified red dragon breath from Mazz 5 because we noticed it was missing a lot and sometimes doing no damage other than the fire on the ground. I checked Mazz 5 and for sure the problem doesn't happen there. I have yet to look at the tags and try to fix it, but Jagman would be the more qualified person to handle it anyway. I haven't seen him online in the last few days though. Worst case, the breath weapon needs to revert to the way it was in Mazz 5.

I have a few other things to verify, like making sure green dragons don't cause this problem too, as well as completing a few other minor bug fixes, but it should only be a few days before a patch is made available.

Thanks for everyone's patience, and to Myrd, for solving yet another bug.
rabican

Post by rabican »

Different playing styles, when moving away from dl we tend to not kill thralls and stuff and generally we do a lot of moving aronud, results in longer games and more dragons have come in early states of blacktrhall attack when there is a lot of action going on . <----- my excuse :(
buckweaver

Post by buckweaver »

Hooray
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Fixed. The amount of bugged projectiles in a single red dragon breath was very random, thus explaining why sometimes it created a big problem and other times less of a problem, or even none at all. And yeah, rab, I think you're right, the longer the game, the more red dragons, especially at the end, so that's probably why it happened to you guys more often.

The mapmaking lesson here is never forget to assign an expansion rate to a projectile with an area of effect damage. Leave the setting at 0.00 and the explosion hangs around forever waiting to expand to full size. This may have been my fault, not Jag's, not that it matters. We both made literally thousands of tag settings and all it takes is one little human error that's hard to detect in-game, and it all gets fubared. Thank goodness for Myrd providing a build with an explosion counter so the precise moment in the film where the problem occured could be nailed down. Otherwise we'd be chasing this for weeks before it was figured out.

Now to fix a few much more minor, though much more difficult, bugs, and then get it ready to ship.
Wismuth

Post by Wismuth »

Your fix proves that it wasn't fubared, just fued. ;)
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Well, it would have been fubared if it wasn't for Myrd's help. :P
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Ok, I think all the known issues are fixed. The omnipatch file is only half a meg in size, and a link will be provided to the Omnipatch apply application, as well as easy instructions for making the patch. Hopefully, all that's left is to give the new version a full test game tonight and then coordinate with Magma's website people to make it available tomorrow.
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

Incredibly diligent and professional work, CP, Myrd.

A pity Magma doesn't have a way to contribute beer money to y'all.

-Oro
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

I knew it was your fault Oro. Nothing worse than bad dragon's breath that hangs around forever...
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

hooray for ChrisP!

The response time wasn't too bad 8)
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

iron wrote:I knew it was your fault Oro. Nothing worse than bad dragon's breath that hangs around forever...
::Gasps:: How species-ist! Dragon's breath is actually very appealing. But that stink that comes out of humans' mouths first thing in the morning... What do you guys do, gargle used-sock water before sleeping?

-Oro
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

The humans here can speak for themselves. Us steam-driven metallic constructs don't actually breathe per se.
woof •FoG•

Post by woof •FoG• »

ChrisP wrote:Ok, I think all the known issues are fixed. The omnipatch file is only half a meg in size, and a link will be provided to the Omnipatch apply application, as well as easy instructions for making the patch. Hopefully, all that's left is to give the new version a full test game tonight and then coordinate with Magma's website people to make it available tomorrow.
Top notch effort, CP. Thanks Myrd!

So instead of bonus points for kills, teams should get bonus points for faster wins. ;>