Couple more questions about Fear...

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Grayswandir
Location: Running rampant in the bowels of human stupidity...

Couple more questions about Fear...

Post by Grayswandir »

I've been wondering...and been trying to figure out a couple things...
First...is it possible to make a unit that can attack while it's moving? So you could say...make an airplane unit and have it perform strafing runs on a target. Or...a unit (like one for my Marathon conversion...) would be able to run around and fire at the same time.
Second...is it possible to make a unit that constantly moves in a circular pattern until given a command? So said plane doesn't hover in the air...
Third...Is it possible to make a unit that can fire at mulitple targets at the same time? For example, a bomber's defensive weapons.
Fourth...is it possible to make unit switch elevations by using a command key (like the Taunt key or something...)? So lets say you have 3 fighters...and you want to change their elevation so that when they attack, they fly in from a higher elevation than their target.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
--Mitchell Radcliffe
rabican

Post by rabican »

[quote]First...is it possible to make a unit that can attack while it's moving? So you could say...make an airplane unit and have it perform strafing runs on a target. Or...a unit (like one for my Marathon conversion...) would be able to run around and fire at the same time.[/quote]

the airplane thingie wouldnt be hard. just have attack that initiates the bombing run be invisible projectile that is follows the plane and drops bomb projectiles as contrail. the other example is too hard for me :/

second : might be possible to have its idle sequence to be moving in circular pattern . or some crazy default map action thingie, no clue if it would work :E

third : you could do attack that spread into multiple projectiles. these projectiles wouldn't actually be aimed at anything , maybe with some playing around with chooses nearby target or guided you could archive desired effect

i've never actually made a map so this might be totally off! ! and i'm sure theres better ways :E
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

Second...is it possible to make a unit that constantly moves in a circular pattern until given a command? So said plane doesn't hover in the air...
you can assign the unit in the monster tag a map action like birds have in myth, I can't recall the name right now but they nevr stop moving all over the map.
check the monster tag of any bird in myth and you'll see the action right before the attacks on the left of the monster tag.

then you can select its movement (in the flags section) to behave like TFL
this will cause the unit to turn in a deep circle instead on in its axis, thus looking like a real plane when it turns

regarding stopping for firing: I never was able to avoid it to do so...if anybody knows I would love to know how....

regarding firing at different units at the same time...same thing...
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

carlinho wrote:you can assign the unit in the monster tag a map action like birds have in myth, I can't recall the name right now but they nevr stop moving all over the map.
check the monster tag of any bird in myth and you'll see the action right before the attacks on the left of the monster tag.

this will cause the unit to turn in a deep circle instead on in its axis, thus looking like a real plane when it turns
If you assign a unit to have a default map action, it will never stop. You'll never be able to command it to do anything, because it'll immediately go back to circling.
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

The map action is called "Chicken". It's great for ambient life or helpless villagers, but not for units you want to control. Also, units with "Chicken" run away if attacked.
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
Grayswandir

Post by Grayswandir »

A-Red wrote:
carlinho wrote:you can assign the unit in the monster tag a map action like birds have in myth, I can't recall the name right now but they nevr stop moving all over the map.

If you assign a unit to have a default map action, it will never stop. You'll never be able to command it to do anything, because it'll immediately go back to circling.
Will it perform your command first or will it ignore you :?:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
--Mitchell Radcliffe
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

well, it'll perform your command for about a tenth of a second, then go back to default.
Grayswandir

Post by Grayswandir »

A-Red wrote:well, it'll perform your command for about a tenth of a second, then go back to default.
What if you made the attack uninterruptable?
I should probably just get an archer...or something...make it chicken...and then test this stuff out huh? :oops:
--Mitchell Radcliffe
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

First...is it possible to make a unit that can attack while it's moving? So you could say...make an airplane unit and have it perform strafing runs on a target. Or...a unit (like one for my Marathon conversion...) would be able to run around and fire at the same time.
I heard this was impossible last time it came up. I'm not a map-maker so I'd not know, but this has been debated a lot in the matter of cavalry units.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

There's no way to make a unit attack while it is still moving. Erm... well, there is sort of a way, using a technique similar to certain effects used in Mazz 6 (Arch-Lich Star, Paladin Regeneration, etc...) but it'd probably be too clumsy and indescriminate for something like a horseman shooting arrows.

True attacks while moving is something that was considered for a far-off Myth update (cavalry swinging swords or maces as they charged past enemy units without pausing, wouldn't that be cool?) but alas, too complicated to do for 1.6.
Grayswandir

Post by Grayswandir »

So if I really wanted strafing runs...I'd have the make the fighters a projectile and have a Carrier unit shoot them off as an attack then huh?
--Mitchell Radcliffe
Point

airplane attacks...

Post by Point »

the only way this has been done and worked b4 is the plane is the attack...

an early build of warfare ava from army had a plane that strafed and bombed.. also in cpr if you zoomed out and payed attention in a few of the builds a jet flashes across high on the screen b4 the air strike projectiles drop...

I think paladin or hawk are who set it up, but the jist is a radio artifact was picked up or a units attack... the plane was part of the projectile group allong with the bombs and basically traveled as a bullet across the screen when attack was called in.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Grayswandir

Post by Grayswandir »

Well...I could switch over to a naval style plugin...but I really wanted airplanes... :(
--Mitchell Radcliffe
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

well, basically the action "chicken" you can control it for a few seconds and then it goes back to chicken...alas it's a pain in the arse but it is the most realistic for airplanes, as at least it never stops moving at all at any time except when it fires...

don't switch to naval style plugin...
myth was never intended for water...
sprites are 2d and water has a perspective: you'll never make a water craft be realistic unless it's really small and it doesn't have a perspective when it's going towards or away from camera...they look fine when going sideways though...
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Grayswandir

Post by Grayswandir »

Like I said above...is it possible to give the attacker a positive repel instead of the unit being hit by the attack?

Oooh...idea...make an attack that constantly repeats (which you have no control over...), creates no explosion, does no damage to the unit, and constantly hits the unit you're controlling...giving it a positive repel all the time...Kinda like how the aura's in Mazz 6 work...but this would be unlimited and would only affect the one unit...also, I wonder if it would be possible to set it so that when two units collide...they crash and burn...hehehehehe...
--Mitchell Radcliffe