SPAM Control

Talk about anything here.
CIK

SPAM Control

Post by CIK »

I an interim effort to crack down on spam all new registrations must be approved and the top forum is a dummy one to catch the SPAM bot posts.
Last edited by CIK on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHelmet

Haha

Post by TheHelmet »

Looks like you caught a few ones already..
I say we tar and feather 'em!
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I think we just need to modify the registration system so that bots cant get through. For example, add a line saying "please enter the text you see here backwards". Since these bots are made for stock phpBBs, they'll fail on the custom setup. No need for SPAM forum or anything.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Myrd wrote:I think we just need to modify the registration system so that bots cant get through. For example, add a line saying "please enter the text you see here backwards". Since these bots are made for stock phpBBs, they'll fail on the custom setup. No need for SPAM forum or anything.
Thats a neat idea...

The spam forum does look a little tacky...
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

Death's Avatar wrote:The spam forum does look a little tacky...
Aye. Looking at it another way, Magma is legitimizing the spamming of this site, providing an accessible way for people to get phished, spammed, pr0nzored and warezulated.

Myrd's idea works well, so long as the text isn't one letter long or the string of chars isn't palindromic >:-] MB a list of Myth-related trivia questions, like, complete this word:

-oul--igh-er
-layMy--
Bu-gie
-MFG M1 P-Z!!!

-Oro
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Over complicated man. Foreign players sometimes struggle.
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

yeah i think myrds idea is a good one, any setup customisation will work fine as long as its different from the standard phpBB tricks used on other sites
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

The SPAM forum doesn't help. Spammers still post in General.
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Myrd wrote:I think we just need to modify the registration system so that bots cant get through. For example, add a line saying "please enter the text you see here backwards". Since these bots are made for stock phpBBs, they'll fail on the custom setup. No need for SPAM forum or anything.
I sent Doobie instructions on what files to modify and how, etc. - maybe you could ask him for them if he doesn't have time to mess with it?

Just an idea - otherwise I can dig 'em out again and repost or PM you or whatever.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I don't have access to the machine since we've moved hosts, so I can't do anything.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

Yeah, I don't really think the spam forum is working. :?
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."