scripting problem

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Snakz

scripting problem

Post by Snakz »

Well im still learning how to script, i started small and decided to try out different things

one thing im trying to do is get a summoner unit to pick up a skull, use his special and make a myrks appear

i got him to pick up the skull, but he wont use his special ability, and there for, the myrk wont appear. I used the "Use special ability flag", is there something else i need to do in order for the summoner to use his special ability?
Snakz

Post by Snakz »

oh, i also have another question, i doesnt have anything to do with scripting

can anyone tell me how to get v1.6 again? i didnt realize that i was using a beta and its already expired, is there anyway to reinstall 1.6 or do i have to reinstall myth all together?
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

I'm not sure how it is made in "The Summoner" level, but I think you have to put some invisible Myrks on your map. Then in your Summoner's Attack action add Activate on Success and link there CTRL action which makes your Myrks visible.

http://thetain.net/TheTain.net.html ----> here is v1.6
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

To make The Summoner summon myrks you do require scripting all you have to do is go to that map and look in the scripting... delete everything that you know doesn't help resurrect myrks. Then look at what you have left over and maybe you can figure out what you are missing.
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

I too have had that problem with not using spec ability... Try making it expiration mode: on succesful execution and put in a trigger time of 1.0 to 1.0. This may give him a chance to use it before action is expired. (Im not sure if this is how it works, but seemed to work for me when I was making soldiers throw grenades.) If not, I'll try and help more.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

try always seting 'attack' action expiration mode to never
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

The cool thing about the respawn feature that was added is you only have to have a few invisible units that you can just reuse over and over. Unlike the summoner level where they would have had to have a ton of myrks on the side of the level.

I have an example map I did to test this feature out. You can find it here. That is basically the gonens scripting, with a little bit added to let me summon skeletons. I hope you find it helpful.
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

If set to never, you would probably have to deactivate it with another action...
Snakz

Post by Snakz »

Well i havent tried all suggestions yet, ill get on it ASAP and say what worked

Just to make the problem a little more clear, i already have some invisible myrks on the map, the only problem is that the summoning is basically completely reliant on wheither or not the special ability is performed or not.

In basic terms, its linked to the summoner unit, it has the "Use Special Ability Flag" and says that if its successful, it will perform the next action, which is make the myrk visible.

I feel kinda dumb asking this question, but can anyone tell me how to copy and paste scripting code? the only method ive been using is copying, word by word, the script onto notepad and then use that on my own maps

One last thing (i dont think anyone answered this question, and if anyone did, i apologize), is it possible to use v1.6 again after the beta has expired? or do i have to reinstall myth all together?

ok, thats all :)
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Snakz wrote:I feel kinda dumb asking this question, but can anyone tell me how to copy and paste scripting code? the only method ive been using is copying, word by word, the script onto notepad and then use that on my own maps
Yeah, I've been there.

An easier way is to go to the "mesh" menu in Loathing and select "export map actions," which will allow you to save the script as a file (I think by default it saves it in the Myth II directory, but check to make sure). Then, if you open your map, you can use "import map actions" to get the script from that file. If you want to import the Summoner script, make sure you delete all the non-Summoner script from the level before exporting, so that you only transfer that section of script.
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

Yea I was looking for a text editor that would help me do that, if you scroll down in topics a little you'll see my post about a "text editor".

In the replies baak pointed me to vim, which helped a little. If you export your wanted map actions, then paste it all together in vim maybe it will work. (i've never tried.)

I still use notepad and do it manually... just so I know whats happening more, and could redo it later.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

I think that learn scripting would be very useful for you. I know it's boring to read all those tutorials, but first three parts of this are great:

http://www.mything.org/index.php?a=arti ... le&v1=ares
Snakz

Post by Snakz »

Ok, i tried setting the expiration mode to on successful execution and gave it a trigger time of 1 to 1, that didn't work

Then i changed the expiration mode to never and had an action to deactivate it, that didn't work either

he does the same thing hes bee doing, he walks over, picks up the skull and just stands there, any other thoughts?
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

it needs:

1) Link to Monster identifier subj (summoner)

2) Attack Ground Location to a spot within range (1-8 units from summoner)

3) Use Special Ability Flag (true)

Make sure it gets activated and no other actions are controlling summoner at the time.

May help:

4) debug flag (just put in as is in the parameter of the attack command, play a game and test summoner script. If it doesnt work, quit myth and check the myth log. May help, may not.