What's left for Myth?

Talk about anything here.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Gjallarhorn wrote:As I said before, I don't like it that killcount is capped at 250+ (ingame) or 255 (post game menu) and this should be fixed immediately.
In fact, I dont think there is a thread for this anywhere :P

Just do what CP did in Mazz 6 :)

-DA
t o x y n

Re: What's left for Myth?

Post by t o x y n »

Cobalt 7 wrote:What's left for Myth once 1.6 hits official release? It seems that all stability issues have been taken care of, and OOS practically eliminated. The engine has been ramped up and can do things I bet Bungie barely could imagine it capable of back in TFL and Myth 2. We now have extra helpful features like the caplock health. We can Autohost online, we have 2 servers to play on, and have a plethora of handy online features and upgrades. Fear and Loathing are now running better than ever.

What more can be done? Outside of upgrading for Vista, and making sure things run smoothly on Lepard, I don't really know. Any of you have some ideas?

How about this kind of project for Myth2: http://www.quake2evolved.com.

Although the above project for Quake2 was abandoned by the group who started working on it and is now a community led project, this would be probably the next step for die-hard Myth folks IMO.

I'm not talking just making Myth2 look like a brand new game, but doing what some of the experts around here do best and give the units new features.

For instance a cool feature that would adjust gameplay a little... on Lichen unto Death, dwarfs can stab enemies w/ a knife at close range like archers can. Little things like that is what I mean. Make an ability so that units can walk or run (or an option like in FPS games where a player can set it to having units always run). In the Myth2 previews, brigs were running around (and looked pretty cool when they did). What happened to that? People agree that Myth is great when the carnage commences, why not build on that and make more melee units that are fast and look cool. It'd be sweet if warriors/brigs had varying weapons, or if you could choose certain units' weapons during planning time (like in counterstrike where you can buy/choose weapons before game starts).

How about a ranking system where your points determine what kind of weapons you can buy for melee units and things of that such? What about making rankings for all kinds of stuff? I mean stuff like 1v1 rankings, and different versions of team/order ranks.

How about an in-game feature (that can be turned on or off by the host in options) that will kill a decent % of a player's units if he's camping for extended periods of time? Like something along the lines of the Myth engine sensing that a player isn't within a certain amount of distance from other players (or doesnt move) for a certain amount of time, a message will come up saying he has 10-20 seconds to move or be penalized. The penalty could be like a lightning bolt from the sky on some of his units.

Instead of being able to receive messages from players in the lobby while your in a game- how about a messaging/inbox system for players? Like instead of that 'prefs' tab that never works, it would show messages people sent you while you were in game, or not even signed on for that matter. The system could be tailored so that messages in an inbox are automatically pruned down to a reasonable number every 15 days or so.

Another idea would be fixing the sound so that sometimes you don't hear unit noise/explosions/fetch lightning/etc loud as fuck even though you have the game volume turned down. Recording new sounds would be cool too.

Ah, anyway, I got into the thought too much. But there are plenty of things to work on if there ever is some major re-working of Myth2.
Last edited by t o x y n on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

Now this is the kind of stuff I wanted to bring up in this thread. It isn't about saying Myth needs fixing, it's about wondering what can be improved. Just thinking aloud could potentially lead in a startling new direction or idea.
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

what about things that could be done outside of updating the actual myth source code? surely there are lots of interesting possibilities there...
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

I'm no longer involved in development, but I can say that Myth 2 will not have any radical enhancements or any changes in its core gameplay.

Adding inventories to units etc could all make for a really good game, but it would no longer be Myth 2 - it'd be something new. Also, for every person who thinks idea X would be great, there'll be half a dozen who'll hate it. You'd end up fragmenting and destroying what is already a tiny & shrinking community.

I'd love to see a new game happen (especially if it was freeware & therefore open to a ton of new players), but after various efforts to get such an effort off the ground, well, I'm not holding my breath.
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

In my head i think myth 2 is a game that that needs no improvment as far as gameplay issues go.

If something big was going to happen to myth i would rather it was a revamp of the engine bringing it into 3-d, but keeping the physics and gameplay just the same. If the physics could be made to interact with 3d models as well as it does with the terrain etc atm it would be wonderful, and graphical enhancements would be good - but the gameplay is fine

--this is just wishful thinking from me, i know it wont happen =)
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

the only improvement that can be done to myth is probably fixing myth III so that it eventually replaces myth II completely.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

I think Myth2 needs no improvement. The only thing that we should work on is to eliminate bugs and making new great maps/plugins :D
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Zeph wrote:the only improvement that can be done to myth is probably fixing myth III so that it eventually replaces myth II completely.
It would probably require as much work as making completly new game... if you want rly worthy replacement.

M2 is good as it is now. IMO all it need are rather small but cool improvements - like capslock health-highlight, inventory for units ( mages with many spells easy in use woooohoooooooo :) ) more good plug and more units ( epecially M3 units like Zeph's Iron Trow )

BTW is Spearman unit completed and ready to use now Zeph ? And hat about enigmatic 3rd project ?

EDIT: heh gugusm - posted same things in same moment :D
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

iron wrote:Adding inventories to units etc could all make for a really good game, but it would no longer be Myth 2 - it'd be something new. Also, for every person who thinks idea X would be great, there'll be half a dozen who'll hate it. You'd end up fragmenting and destroying what is already a tiny & shrinking community.
Tir wrote:M2 is good as it is now
I agree with these two.

The one thing that binds the Myth community together - WWIIers, rankers, reggers, playmyth.net users, mariusnetters, the map-makers who don't really play much, co-opers...whoever is....Myth. It is the only thing that maintains the community as a collective. Even if it could work well, its far too much of a risk.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

I’d love to do something like Mazz with one unit per player but with 50 times the spells, artifacts, monster types, etc, a series of giant maps -- and the ability to save your unit between rounds of playing. But Iron is right, that’s no longer Myth as we know it. I guess what I really wish for is a combination of Myth and say, Diablo II or WoW. But that’d be an entirely new game.

Thanks to people like Myrd, CIK and Iron, the Myth II engine has pretty much become all it can be, while still staying essentially Myth. Any more small tweaks and minor enhancements are barely worth it considering there’re so few people to take advantage of them and no real practical way to make the community grow.

Who knows, maybe one day we’ll all be involved in taking the best things about Myth and evolving them into some sort of uber-game, but like Iron, I am not holding my breath.

It's still fun to discuss wish lists though, and hey, semi-miracles have happened here before.
vinylrake

Re: What's left for Myth?

Post by vinylrake »

t o x y n wrote:How about an in-game feature (that can be turned on or off by the host in options) that will kill a decent % of a player's units if he's camping for extended periods of time? Like something along the lines of the Myth engine sensing that a player isn't within a certain amount of distance from other players (or doesnt move) for a certain amount of time, a message will come up saying he has 10-20 seconds to move or be penalized. The penalty could be like a lightning bolt from the sky on some of his units.
You should try playing the StoneHeart Returns: Redux map - one of the many customizations Baak made on the mesh where every player starts inside the maze *really* close to each other is to institute an enforced "One Minute Truce". [Made to reduce the instantaneous "Team Eliminated" by one team using a Rocket Dorf to fire a rocket into the other team's starting location as soon as the game starts. Considered extremely 'lame'] If you attack another team before the klaxon goes off announcing the end of the truce you will "face the wrath of Baak". Try it, you'd like it.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Do you know any details to how it works? Does the "Hand of Ba'ak" kill you if you harmlessly shoot a wall nowhere near anyone? Or is it only if you inflict damage?

I'm not sure how you could implement tox's idea though. If you set a damage/time limit then you could be busy archer dancing when 'poof' half your archers die or something. Trying to make it punish you for not going within a certain distance of the middle flag is also awkward since teams would just send a lone ghol or something to avoid the wrath of the game.

Honestly the only solution is 2 min LMOTH KOTH games, they rule!
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Baak

Post by Baak »

Baron LeDant wrote:Do you know any details to how it works? Does the "Hand of Ba'ak" kill you if you harmlessly shoot a wall nowhere near anyone? Or is it only if you inflict damage?
I had to make it so "if you attack" the Wrath of Baak strikes. Had to go the "Zero Tolerance" route. :)

Thus you could toss a grenade at your own guys and even if it's a dud... No excuses this way.

It's only implemented on the "Cage 6" map - the one Vinylrake describes - due to the fact that you start on top of each other. There are also "gates" between you that randomly go up/down throughout the game. It's insane with RDF, Bushido, Flare Dorfs, WWII - whatever! :D
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

Well since 1.6 added the ability for units to start the game with artifacts, you could just make a tagset that gave all units an invincibility artifact that lasts for 30 seconds. Effectively making them invincible for the first 30 seconds of the game.