What's left for Myth?

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

William Wallet wrote:I don't think any more updates are necessary. I'm fully able to express my irritation on there already.

Like when some idiot gives me a warlock; I team kill. It's very simple. I don't like warlocks, or Myrkridia Giants, or any of the other hopelessly h00rish units.

Someone wants to make a good Myth II update? Make it so you can't turn vTFL off.
Maybe to protect the rest of us from you doing team kills we should have player-unit-preferences so that a captain can see what units a player prefers. And then a player could have a unit-preference lock so that a captain could ONLY give him units on his list. Of course a captain could just not give a picky player units, but would be nifty and would speed up distribution on large team games where a captain isn't familiar with the players or units/map. If players could adjust their unit preferences in pregame or INgame that would be really cool.

note: I am not suggesting anyone even look into these mods, just thinking out loud.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

What about making the graphic engine better (although I have not a clue as how to do so or if possible)
It happens that people now a days have really fast processors and even 512mb graphic cards, and you can play really tough 3d games on them
but somehow a 500x500sprite makes the game go slow...
How could ther rendering be done so this wouldn't happen?
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

it would require a total reworking of the graphics engine to improve it vastly.. and if you're gonna do that then you might as well make it 3d, and that means a whole lot of other stuff will have to be written.. and then you're basically remaking the game ya
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
ozone

Post by ozone »

AblitERateOR wrote:it would require a total reworking of the graphics engine to improve it vastly.. and if you're gonna do that then you might as well make it 3d, and that means a whole lot of other stuff will have to be written.. and then you're basically remaking the game ya
You guys and all your mumbo jumbo.... :P
Last edited by ozone on Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
do it.
Point

actually all it would take....

Post by Point »

actually all it would take to improve myth II graphics is re implement bitmaps in myth III and use that engine... myth III in the early betas used bitmaps in conjunction with the 3d and it looked good.. with the high res color maps and no 256 color and pixel restrictions renders could look great in myth III... much better I think than the clunky 3d.

just my early morning 2 cents.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I agree. I never liked the 3D units in M3 with their funky flat faces.
The cake is a lie.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Depth of Field!!!

:P
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Baak

Re: actually all it would take....

Post by Baak »

Point wrote:actually all it would take to improve myth II graphics is re implement bitmaps in myth III and use that engine... myth III in the early betas used bitmaps in conjunction with the 3d and it looked good.. with the high res color maps and no 256 color and pixel restrictions renders could look great in myth III... much better I think than the clunky 3d.
Agreed 100%! :D
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

I think it's cool the way it is, but expanding and adding stuff is cool most of the time, so long as they're not just added with any extra thought.

It should be stuff that actually serves some purpose. New mapmaking stuff/ possibilities is always fun.. though I struggle to use the ones we have now :D
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Ideas are good but when it comes down to it, that's all they are ever going to be. The sad thing here is that there is still so much potential for the game, but the game upkeepers won't upgrade M2's limits. The claim is that it would make the minimum system requirements too high and would 'exclude some people'.

Right....so what are these minimum requirements?:
- Windows 95 or Mac OS 8.6 with CarbonLib
- 233MHz CPU
- 64 MB RAM
- 100 MB disk space

If you have a computer that wouldn't be able to handle a memory, processor, or hard drive increase, maybe it's time to update your TEN YEAR OLD COMPUTER! I mean come on. You can get a complete new computer system with monitor for $300 bucks after rebates or even cheeper like new used ones on eBay. Don't give me that crap.

I've been staying silent on this issue for too long. If you are a member of the updaters and don't want to do anymore, fine; let someone else. Chris P's Mazzarin series is a perfect example of how much balls this game still has. He's pushed every engine limitation to the max. The ironic thing is those limitations could easily be raised with only a minor increase in system specs. Do THESE look like they are too much?:

- Windows 98 (or 2000) / Mac OS 9.2 (or OS 10)
- 466 MHz CPU
- 128 MB RAM
- 200 MB disk space

I'm even being incredibly conservative there. With even that simple increase, I'm sure a whole new potential could be realized. The same goes for updating the Myth resolution interface. 640x480? There are people willing to volunteer their time to do this.

Granted my time has switch considerably to World Of Warcraft now from Myth, but a big reason is what I posted above. I'm not the only one who shares this thinking either; I won't mention names to protect them, but they feel exactly the same way.

So go ahead, let's see the replies. I want to hear what comes of this. Don't worry, I have this saved just in case someone decides to delete this since it might ruffle some feathers.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I'm even being incredibly conservative there. With even that simple increase, I'm sure a whole new potential could be realized. The same goes for updating the Myth resolution interface. 640x480? There are people willing to volunteer their time to do this.
I think the res thing came up before and nothing happened, no one did volunteer. I agree though in general - look at WWII infact. That recommends higher specs than standard Myth's ones and it was hugely popular back in 99 or whenever it came out.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

If you think any mod on this forum is going to delete your post out of fear or anger, you've never met them and/or have delusions of grandeur.

They've more than quadrupled every limit in the game, and there still hasn't been anything made by mapmakers (other than, arguably, Mazz 6) that has been able to fully push even those limits. In what way is it not enough? Most of the best levels that I've played work on Myth 1.3, or use new features in a modest sort of way. If it's only about cramming as much as you can onto one mesh, then the end result is just "engine fireworks" (to steal a term from a buddy). and if you want that, you can always play a newer game...it's what most of them are about these days.

That said, no one is physically stopping you or anyone else from putting together a team to make a new patch for the game, one that allows meshes of one zillion world units that can handle 9,999 projectile types.

Or maybe I misunderstand which limits you mean?
Last edited by A-Red on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

GodzFire wrote:Don't worry, I have this saved just in case someone decides to delete this since it might ruffle some feathers.
Oh My God! He is soooooo controversial!

While I agree that the game has tons of potential, you must also remember that uhm...not very many people play it these days. Basically everything everyone has said fits into three categories:

1) You can already do it with scripting (So learn how!)

2) Frivolous. Though a 1024 interface would be cool, is it really worth it? It adds almost nothing to the whole experience. The interface is pretty spartan as is, I enjoy that. It all fits cute and snug.

3) Neat ideas but too lofty/too big a change. Yeah it would be sweet if it had models and all this, but then it wouldn't be the myth we love.

I kinda like points idea of making m3 cute.

-DA
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I've only had trouble with a few of the limits, really:

The number of projetiles that can be on a map at one time. Some of my maps are 'meat ginders' like The Stair of Grief only much more crowded, and once you've blown up 2,000+ units things can start getting weird.

The limit of an explosion radius.

The limit of how many units can be visible at one time. But that could just be me; I made a multiplayer map once with two very large teams, and when I played it units on each team would mysteriously just not be there any more. I assumed it was because there were more units visible at once than the engine could handle.

But, in spite of these limits, Myth is still a strong game. You don't have to have a million units or nuclear-class explosions to make a great map, though it can be fun sometimes.
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Khadrelt wrote:I've only had trouble with a few of the limits, really:

The number of projetiles that can be on a map at one time. Some of my maps are 'meat ginders' like The Stair of Grief only much more crowded, and once you've blown up 2,000+ units things can start getting weird.
Isn't there a biodegrader type option you can check for projectiles so they dissapear after a certain period of time?
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.