Maps in-game

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Jestrel

Maps in-game

Post by Jestrel »

once I finish a map in loathing then what?
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

What do you want to do with it?
Jestrel

Post by Jestrel »

I wanna play it in game
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Jestrel wrote:I wanna play it in game
The tutorial linked to here should have the info you are looking for.

Is this topic a sticky candidate maybe?
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

why sticky this6??
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Hmm, because these are the basics of mapmaking?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Zeph wrote:why sticky this6??
Sticky this because it is a question that gets asked so often it would save people having to write the same answer over and over again.

Stickies on the forums here are pretty much like FAQs anywhere else.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

That's fucking stoopid. Sry, but the 'Build Plugin File' is pretty much a DEAD GIVE AWAY IN FEAR

thx. :)

However if you just want to play the map ALONE, and not distribute it to play with friends, you could just put your 'local' folder with all your map's tags in it, into the same directory as your Myth 2 files.

If you try to play maps online on PM.net with a local folder in though, it often will result in red gams giving the 'Game Data does not match.' error on PM.net. You need to open up Fear and Build Plugin File. Name it, then load it and play it and distribute it at your own will :)
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Actually, the local folder is disabled when playing on a metasever (but not on plain TCP/IP nor while watching films).
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Also, it's hard to play a map if you haven't created a string list for the description and assigned it, and checked the 'is complete' box in Fear. Since the questioner only mentioned Loathing I thought it entirely possible s/he wasn't aware of some of the basics.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Myrd wrote:Actually, the local folder is disabled when playing on a metasever (but not on plain TCP/IP nor while watching films).
Not true Myrd. I can host TFV maps from my local on PM.net.... naturally nobody can join, but the maps load up and I can play...
Baak

Post by Baak »

I too vote for some kind of sticky on this.

I disagree with you Graydon: I don't think there are any stupid questions when it comes to map/plugin-making in Myth. It's an art and there's a definite learning curve. Things may seem obvious to you now, but most people see Fear/Loathing as extremely cryptic, which they are.

I for one would like to see nothing but positive encouragement for anyone interested in creating maps/plugins/mods.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Rather than stickying this thread, which is full of irrelevant discussion, maybe there should be a new sticky with links to all of the major starter mapmaking tutorials.
Baak

Post by Baak »

A-Red wrote:Rather than stickying this thread, which is full of irrelevant discussion, maybe there should be a new sticky with links to all of the major starter mapmaking tutorials.
Precisely.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Graydon wrote:
Myrd wrote:Actually, the local folder is disabled when playing on a metasever (but not on plain TCP/IP nor while watching films).
Not true Myrd. I can host TFV maps from my local on PM.net.... naturally nobody can join, but the maps load up and I can play...
Isn't this because you have the plugin in as well? I could never play from local on playmyth.net, but they do get listed in the available maps listing..