Visiting the Old Times

Talk about anything here.
Hough

Visiting the Old Times

Post by Hough »

Whats up guys? I haven't played Myth in ages but, out of the blue I wanted to see if any of the people who use to play the Myth Demo back in 96-98 are still around. (doubt it, but worth a shot). And I like to say I'm happy you guys are keeping the game alive, hopefully Myth won't die anytime soon, but its hard to say when all these new games come out every year.
Raflegan

Post by Raflegan »

The Bagrada demo is the first I ever played of myth. Though I didn't have internet access back then, I got it off of a PC gamer disc. I bought Myth TFL the first chance I got. I've been playing it off & on ever since. One of the best games of all time.
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

I was a demo rat back in the day.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

I was around for the demo too--although I somehow got a special demo that included Shadow of the Mountain in addition to the normal two (and it's been my favorite level ever since). I didn't get the full games until the Total Codex came out, though.
Baak

Re: Visiting the Old Times

Post by Baak »

Hough wrote:Whats up guys? I haven't played Myth in ages but, out of the blue I wanted to see if any of the people who use to play the Myth Demo back in 96-98 are still around. (doubt it, but worth a shot). And I like to say I'm happy you guys are keeping the game alive, hopefully Myth won't die anytime soon, but its hard to say when all these new games come out every year.
Two other games that reflect a stunning combination of very simple rules with endless variety and strategic/tactical/challenging gameplay come to mind:

Go has been around for at least 2500 years and has millions of players worldwide.

Chess has been around for over 500 years and despite extraordinarily complex computer programs beating the best human players still attracts an estimated 600 million players worldwide. People are still creating variants of the game as well.

No one seems to be getting tired of either of these.

Perhaps there's a lesson in there somewhere about excellent gameplay being the foundation of any game standing the test of time.

Give me excellent gameplay over graphics any day. The thrill of the rest wears off as fast as the smell of a new car. ;)
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

Guess it was '97. I bought a Dutch game magazine, read the review and played the demo. Totally hooked since the first time I played. Sometimes when I play, I get flashbacks of the feeling it gave me 10 years ago.

Myth cannot die, everyone who started to play back in the days will have to admit nothing beats it. I've tried every squad-based, real time turn based strategy/rpg/sim over the last 10 years and nothing came close to beating Myth. And with all those plugins, who needs other games? Myth will die when all players are dead.
Hough

Post by Hough »

96' was the first time I started playing Myth, I was 11 or 12? I'm currently 19 and in college, surprised the years fly by that quick. But Myth was my first "online" game ever. I got the demo from the macaddict disc number 3 and I learned a lot of stuff and also learned a lot about cussing too, unforunately from the game, haha.

Either way my original name back then was Alexander, doubt anyone remembers me but I was around on that game for a while.

And I bought the full version game like 2 years later after the demo and didn't play it as much as the demo lol.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

The name Alexander + Myth, is familiar!
A-Red wrote:I was around for the demo too--although I somehow got a special demo that included Shadow of the Mountain in addition to the normal two (and it's been my favorite level ever since). I didn't get the full games until the Total Codex came out, though.
Wow you got the special demo with the 3rd level? I read about that one a while ago but never came across anybody who had it. I think it was a special release for a CD or something like that. Are you in Germany?
Hough

Post by Hough »

plus I remember clans King, I think Mafia was one and I help make the Clan 22.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I first played Myth from the Fallen Lords demo I got on a MacAddict CD. Played it during school, actually, during yearbook class...after my work was done, of course :) .

I have only played 4 games in my whole life that hooked me right from the first few moments of playing - Marathon, Myth, Oni, and Halo. Anyone else see the pattern there?
The cake is a lie.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Hough wrote:plus I remember clans King, I think Mafia was one and I help make the Clan 22.
I think Stratman, Anubis and California were in King too.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Khadrelt wrote:I have only played 4 games in my whole life that hooked me right from the first few moments of playing - Marathon, Myth, Oni, and Halo. Anyone else see the pattern there?
You get addicted to games with vowels in their names?
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I wanna play a nice game of OAEIU
Raflegan

Post by Raflegan »

The Elfoid wrote:I wanna play a nice game of OAEIU
I hear sometimes Y is better.