Myth installer suggestion for the Magma programmers

Talk about anything here.

Would you use this "online install" feature if Project Magma created it?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 6

The Seeker

Myth installer suggestion for the Magma programmers

Post by The Seeker »

I'd love it if you guys wrote up a manual procedure (using Fear), or made an updater/installer, that would allow me to setup my system so that the multiplayer maps were on the hard drive (to speed up loading) but the solo levels were not (to save space). A Large install gives me the speed, but wastes lots of space on solo levels I don't play often.

Even better if this could be setup so that when I wanted to play a solo level it automatically figured-out to hit the CD for that. But if that's too hard I guess I could always re-install to straighten things out for solo play when I wanted to do that.
Last edited by The Seeker on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

If you want to reduce the hdd space Myth 2 is taking, delete the contents of the "cutscenes" folder inside your Myth II folder. They are only relevant to the solo game and they play from the CD anyway if you delete them.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Eddaweaver wrote:If you want to reduce the hdd space Myth 2 is taking, delete the contents of the "cutscenes" folder inside your Myth II folder.
I see no cutscenes folder. I'm on a Mac. I did the Large install (which the manual says installs everything but the movies). The bulk of the space seems to be in the tags folder, and the bulk of that is in a single file called "large install".
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Yeah, thats where the bulk of the game is...

See I think even if you managed to delete the single player levels it wouldn't help much. Myth is big because there are so many bits to it. Every multiplayer level uses those "bits" (The warrior collections, archer collections, etc. etc. etc.). With out that big tag, you would have none of that data...

I guess what you want it to do is read off the CD? That seems slow and a pain...just get a bigger hard drive :/

I mean, I can think of tons of ways to keep your plugins folder trim with archiving old plugs and such, but as for making the game itself smaller...meh...

-DA
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Death's Avatar wrote:Myth is big because there are so many bits to it. Every multiplayer level uses those "bits" (The warrior collections, archer collections, etc. etc. etc.). With out that big tag, you would have none of that data...
Yeah...someone posted elsewhere that to do this the only way they knew of was to edit the tags. Which would be fine, I'd do that, with instructions, but if you say deleting the solo info out of the tags wouldn't save that much space, then I guess not worth it. I just figured if I could delete-out 100+MB that would be helpful, but maybe the solo stuff isn't that big? I don't know.

If it could save 100+MB, I'd love to be able to do that. Ideally though it would be cool if the game would then, if you tried to play a solo level, look in your tags, if it saw info was missing, then it would ignore what's on your hard disk and go hit the CD for it (just like it does if you do a Small install).

Maybe an edited Large install, and a menu option to tell it "go into Small install style" mode for when I wanted to play solo levels?
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Death's Avatar wrote:See I think even if you managed to delete the single player levels it wouldn't help much. Myth is big because there are so many bits to it. Every multiplayer level uses those "bits" (The warrior collections, archer collections, etc. etc. etc.). With out that big tag, you would have none of that data...
Yeah, collections are the heaviest tags and I think you can delete solo levels colormaps. 25 colormaps, each of them is about 5-10 MB, so it's over 100 MB. I don't how to do this, though. Open "large install" with Topaz, disassemble it, delete some collections and then...? Any idea? Is it possible?
ozone

Post by ozone »

gugusm wrote:
Death's Avatar wrote:See I think even if you managed to delete the single player levels it wouldn't help much. Myth is big because there are so many bits to it. Every multiplayer level uses those "bits" (The warrior collections, archer collections, etc. etc. etc.). With out that big tag, you would have none of that data...
Yeah, collections are the heaviest tags and I think you can delete solo levels colormaps. 25 colormaps, each of them is about 5-10 MB, so it's over 100 MB. I don't how to do this, though. Open "large install" with Topaz, disassemble it, delete some collections and then...? Any idea? Is it possible?
Its possible but you have to create a plug-in with the right tags. Hex it so its now a Monolythic Tag. Youde have to know the checksum as well...

Anyway..cant you just do a small install and it will get tags off of CD when you need them?
do it.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

ozone wrote:cant you just do a small install and it will get tags off of CD when you need them?
Because I'm annoying & demanding ;) Like I said, I want the benefits of a Large install when doing netplay (fast load), without the handicap of wasting the disk space on rarely-played solo levels.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

The Seeker wrote:
ozone wrote: rarely-played solo levels.
Play them more ;)
Industry

Post by Industry »

Thanks to Communist China 100MB of Hard Drive space costs roughly $0.07 US. It cost me more to figure out and type this reply.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Industry wrote:Thanks to Communist China 100MB of Hard Drive space costs roughly $0.07 US.
Ahhh, if only that were true. Though I did buy more RAM for my old desktop so I could play Myth on it.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Aye I don't see why you don't purchase a new HD, if you're that strapped for space to a degree of hundreds of megabytes, i'd DEFINITELY be looking into a new HD... or deleting other games I DONT play. 80 gb HD is a good way to go. I think you NEED the large install tag to run the game.

Both solo and multiplayer levels, cause as others have explained, the large install has tags in there required for both solo and multi (like the unit collections).