What's left for Myth?

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Enculator wrote:
Also, the minimum specs have been raised somewhat due to Project Magma's upgrades.
wrong ! it still run perfectly on my celeron 500 !
But the latest version of windows Myth II requires at least 64 MB of RAM, the original spec only called for 32MB of RAM.

And your 500Mhz machine is at least DOUBLE the original system spec of a Pentium II 233MHz
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

well i just threw the graphic thing cause I did some high res units that lag the game but look really beautiful....
i guess it could well stay like it is and I'll need to resize them and loose quality

anyways that rendering tool they were doing that sharpened the colour map texture was awesome.
if they finished that and a collection editor for PC that would be more than i could crave for
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

carlinho wrote:well i just threw the graphic thing cause I did some high res units that lag the game but look really beautiful....
i guess it could well stay like it is and I'll need to resize them and loose quality

anyways that rendering tool they were doing that sharpened the colour map texture was awesome.
if they finished that and a collection editor for PC that would be more than i could crave for
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see higher res graphics in M2 - I was responding more to what I perceived as the 'make all the limits as high as the moon' school of thought, not to specific practical suggestions that would have a large impact on visuals or play.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

Why not set some lofty goals?

Sharpened color maps, high-res units? I dare say that sounds quite appealing.
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

It won't feel like Myth if we do that.
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

I honestly can't tell if your joking or being serious. :?
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

It didn't sound that LOFTY to me anyway...
Grayswandir
Location: Running rampant in the bowels of human stupidity...

Post by Grayswandir »

vinylrake wrote:
Enculator wrote:
Also, the minimum specs have been raised somewhat due to Project Magma's upgrades.
wrong ! it still run perfectly on my celeron 500 !
But the latest version of windows Myth II requires at least 64 MB of RAM, the original spec only called for 32MB of RAM.

And your 500Mhz machine is at least DOUBLE the original system spec of a Pentium II 233MHz
I dunno...From what I've experience from v1.3 and above, 64MB was the minimum. Yes, even though the Total Codex box said 32MB was the minimum required to play Myth II, my really, really, old iMac 266Mhz G3 with 64MB of RAM (Which is now collecting dust somewhere in my basement...) couldn't run Myth II (1.3) because it didn't have enough available...so I actually had to upgrade my RAM to play it.

EDIT:
Relating to adding features:
AlephOne, which uses the Marius.net server has a feature where you can switch between talking to people in the hosted pre-match gameroom and people sitting in the lobby.
Perhaps something like that could be implemented?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
--Mitchell Radcliffe
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

I'd hate to see gameplay changed much. Nothing else is like Myth, even today.

Deformable terrain would be very cool, but probably too much work to add that.

I guess I'd be most interested in graphical enhancements, though what could be done without breaking compatability with older maps I'm not sure. Blood & fire damage showing on buildings? "Smokier" smoke? "Lightninger" lightning? Higher-res meshes, textures, sprites, etc? Though the emphasis should be on improving what it looks like when fully zoomed-out. M3's 3D-ness is cool, but do 3D units even matter when you're zoomed-out?

>Maybe to protect the rest of us from you doing team kills we should have player-unit-preferences so that a captain can see what units a player prefers. And then a player could have a unit-preference lock so that a captain could ONLY give him units on his list.

I like this, an automatic way to declare "these are the units I think I'm good with/like". Though I think a lock would be a waste to develop...the captain is the captain after all, it should be their decision. If I were a captain and you had a lock, I would never give you anything. On a side note, a person who would TK because they disliked their units is a person I would never be on a team with again. Don't mess with everyone's fun because you don't want to use a certain unit.

>kill a decent % of a player's units if he's camping for extended periods of time

Why spend the effort to develop something to disallow a useful, as well as counter-able, strategy? Anti-campers should just set short time limits, or stick to BC & Assassin.

>It'd be sweet if warriors/brigs had varying weapons

Gahhh, I know I read in some forum recently someone's solution for this...make new warrior sprites (like holding an axe), at start of game the map randomly awards a special "artifact" to the warriors, the warriors that get that artifact are set to the new sprite. Or something like that.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"On a side note, a person who would TK because they disliked their units is a person I would never be on a team with again. Don't mess with everyone's fun because you don't want to use a certain unit."

.. but it's funny.

Nah, ordinarily I don't really do it. It's only when I'm on Playmyth surrounded by mouth-breathers who can't type properly who spurt such insanities as "M2 is better" and things like that.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

>... but it's funny.

True, it can be, in the right dosages. I guess Myth wouldn't be Myth without all the variety that can go on in it.

>such insanities as "M2 is better"

It isn't? <ducks>
rocketdive

Post by rocketdive »

I have a suggestion:
When you go into a room, and you see a game you want to play that is either still going or is untimed, it would be nice if there was a function that would join the game for you, once it opens, without you having to watch it like a hawk. Some sort of button that you could click that would join a game as soon as it opens. If you have auto-ready, then you can get into a game without having to click at all. Would be very nice, especially since there aren't many games going anymore and it sucks to sit and wait, watching diligently, not being able to multitask effectively.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

rocketdive wrote:I have a suggestion:
When you go into a room, and you see a game you want to play that is either still going or is untimed, it would be nice if there was a function that would join the game for you, once it opens, without you having to watch it like a hawk. Some sort of button that you could click that would join a game as soon as it opens. If you have auto-ready, then you can get into a game without having to click at all. Would be very nice, especially since there aren't many games going anymore and it sucks to sit and wait, watching diligently, not being able to multitask effectively.
I'd vote for the auto-join - even a list of games to join in order of a players preference so a player could automatically join whichever game opened first.

I'd vote against the auto-ready, because if someone ISN'T watching the lobby enough to notice a game has opened they could be doing something else and not notice a game has started. There's very few things more annoying in net mything than an AFK captain, or a player who doesn't respond to questions - both of which could become pretty frequent if you combined auto-join with auto-ready.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Excellent suggestion rocketdive.

Post by Avatara »

I would like to know how hard it would be to implement 2 features I always wanted in myth games. Of course these "features" would be optional when making a game:

1- Make it so you can't see the projectiles anywhere on the map. This always bugged the hell out of me... being able to see the number of pus the enemy's team has taken and ensuing battles anywhere in the map surely looks unrealistic and makes the gameplay worse (for me). Why it works fine for enemy units but not for projectiles?

2- Hide enemy team's army size when pressing F7. Could lead to more interesting matches and ensures people are alert anytime during a game.