pmnet down and fucked, but mnet is still up!

Talk about anything here.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

If Rank didn't exist, do you think people would leave Myth, or just start having fun in the unranked rooms?
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Personally I never play in ranked rooms. Of course, I don't play online much to begin with, so there's not much point in trying to build rank for me.
The cake is a lie.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Cobalt 7 wrote:If Rank didn't exist, do you think people would leave Myth, or just start having fun in the unranked rooms?
Blades closed ranked once. For about 20 minutes. Everyone was shouting 'FUCK YOU BLADES' and he was sending out PAs to people in response. He put it back, but a lot of players just never showed up ever again. This was sometime during his mid-2005 'great purge' in response to some actions of god cops.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"Everyone was shouting 'FUCK YOU BLADES' and he was sending out PAs to people in response"

I still shout that. In the lobby, anyway.

1000!
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Cobalt 7 wrote:If Rank didn't exist, do you think people would leave Myth, or just start having fun in the unranked rooms?
Some. Other would simply leave.
I play in unranked almost all the time but sometimes I visit ranked 2. Closing ranked would be a step back.
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

I think it's great that MNet & PMNet both exist...Myth is such a unique game, I'm glad it hasn't died. I just hope if either PrplPplEater or the PMAs ever decide to close their server, they give over their software to anyone that might want to continue running a server.

Post by Avatara »

The Seeker wrote:I think it's great that MNet & PMNet both exist...Myth is such a unique game, I'm glad it hasn't died. I just hope if either PrplPplEater or the PMAs ever decide to close their server, they give over their software to anyone that might want to continue running a server.
You can get the Marius.net software application at the Marius.net site for free.
It's super easy to get it working, and I already tested it at home.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

So what exactly are the pros and cons of MariusNet and PlayMyth? I've never actually used MNet.
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Khadrelt wrote:So what exactly are the pros and cons of MariusNet and PlayMyth? I've never actually used MNet.
Today the pros of PlayMyth and the cons of Mariusnet is summed up in your statement "I've never actually used MNet" - The creators of MNet have pretty much retired from the game server 'business' and leave it on just because. Mariusnet no longer requires user accounts so anyone can play. Today Playmyth is where the vast majority of the currently active Myth players meet to play online.

In the myth gameserver world immediately post-Bungie.net mariusnet was the ONLY server that existed for a few months in the case of SB, and for a year or more in the case of TFL. MNet was written from scratch so was coded and released well before Bungie released their server code. When Bungie did release their server code Playmyth created a Myth SB gameserver based on that code.

When both servers were fairly active, mariusnet was known as a haven for unranked gamers and games while playmyth became the home to more ranked games. Probably in large part a result of the ranked vs. unranked style of gameplay/player, mariusnet tended to have more civil discourse than playmyth in those early frontier days. These days either server is going to provide a fairly civil place to play.

At one point at least I believe mariusnet was the only server that offered Myth: TFL play.

Originally mariusnet had some features that playmyth did not, things like TFL hosting, wanklisting, order support, coop ranked and sending private messages to other players or members of orders. I think playmyth now has incorporated most of these features and added some of it's own.

apologies if I've attributed something incorrectly.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

One feature that MNet still has that PMnet lacks is putting the game start time in the name of the game for co-ops. I find that useful.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Myrd wrote:One feature that MNet still has that PMnet lacks is putting the game start time in the name of the game for co-ops. I find that useful.
What you really mean is PlayMyth doesn't have Eliza.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Do you have beer?
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Avatara wrote:You can get the Marius.net software application at the Marius.net site for free. It's super easy to get it working, and I already tested it at home.
Is it source code or just the app? I'm on Mac so downloading the .exe (a zip, or the actual app?) seems pointless.

Post by Avatara »

Just the app, and It works only on Windows.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Avatara wrote:Just the app, and It works only on Windows.
I figured, and there's the catch. If they shutdown the server, just giving the app away isn't "enough". When I say I hope they give over their software, I mean their source too. Otherwise how could any future interested party maintain a server? They'd have no way of fixing/tweaking or improving things when necessary.