I'm sick of it

Talk about anything here.
Gjallarhorn

I'm sick of it

Post by Gjallarhorn »

Okay, I just can't stand killcount is being capped at 250/255, can anyone do something about this? :D :) :( :o :lol: 8) :? :shock: :x :P :oops: :cry: :wink: :roll: :twisted: :evil:
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I don't understand why the kill count is capped at all. Why can't the number just keep going up? What stops it, and why?
The cake is a lie.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

consider yourselves lucky it isn't capped at 5 like it used to be.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

in the seventh dwarf you'll cap 250 after about 15 mins of play. Consider the map to be about 60 minutes long.
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

Doobie wrote:consider yourselves lucky it isn't capped at 5 like it used to be.
I think 100% of all posters here think that Myth should be taken far beyond the borders that were set by Bungie back in '97. It is already so much more and people are still discussing about high res units, high res landscapes and 3D models. I think this is a minor issue that should be taken seriously since it would improve gameplay enourmously, especially on games like SRotD and Mazz.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Gjallarhorn wrote:I think 100% of all posters here think that Myth should be taken far beyond the borders that were set by Bungie back in '97. It is already so much more and people are still discussing about high res units, high res landscapes and 3D models. I think this is a minor issue that should be taken seriously since it would improve gameplay enourmously, especially on games like SRotD and Mazz.
Of course, until you hear from someone who knows, you don't know if the cap is arbitrary, or if it's there because it would be a lot of work to re-code. Other limits might be in place to keep system requirements down (of course, that's a choice that could be changed...and probably should be if the community wants that).

Then again, remember too this is all volunteer, and free. Does Project Magma accept donations (I've been meaning to find out)? Have you (& everyone) donated? If you want people to do things...are you doing anything to help (like donating)?
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

The Seeker wrote:
Gjallarhorn wrote:I think 100% of all posters here think that Myth should be taken far beyond the borders that were set by Bungie back in '97. It is already so much more and people are still discussing about high res units, high res landscapes and 3D models. I think this is a minor issue that should be taken seriously since it would improve gameplay enourmously, especially on games like SRotD and Mazz.
Of course, until you hear from someone who knows, you don't know if the cap is arbitrary, or if it's there because it would be a lot of work to re-code. Other limits might be in place to keep system requirements down (of course, that's a choice that could be changed...and probably should be if the community wants that).

Then again, remember too this is all volunteer, and free. Does Project Magma accept donations (I've been meaning to find out)? Have you (& everyone) donated? If you want people to do things...are you doing anything to help (like donating)?
I'm not intentionally nagging for someone to fix this, it's meant as a simple question, and maybe someone will say "Hey, that sounds like a good plan, maybe something for the next patch." And for donating; would you donate?? Doesn't sound good to me, pay money for game fixes.

- edit: I changed my mind, if you can fix this, I will transfer 10 dollar to your account!
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

I do not know for sure...but things that come out as numbers like 255 are usually hard limits...just kind of a rule of thumb...I imagine that making it higher could potentially require a lot of work, but again I do not KNOW this.

More to the point, 1.6 is released. It is out. At the very least, Myrd and CIK are busy with other things at the moment. Basically, what you are asking for is something that could, and has been, achieved with a small bit of script.

-DA
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I think that while the number shouldn't go up for vetting, number of kills should go on forever - even if your char stays the same I like to keep track.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

The Elfoid wrote:I think that while the number shouldn't go up for vetting, number of kills should go on forever - even if your char stays the same I like to keep track.
Look at the post.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Gjallarhorn wrote:I'm not intentionally nagging for someone to fix this, it's meant as a simple question, and maybe someone will say "Hey, that sounds like a good plan, maybe something for the next patch."
Ok, yeah, I get that...I do that too.

>And for donating; would you donate?? Doesn't sound good to me, pay money for game fixes.

Are you kidding me?!? Of course I would (will)!!! To be able to play your favorite game, with additional bug-fixes, on your current system, 10 years later!?! Isn't that worth something to you? Even just donating $5, one time (though I think it's worth more).

I'm a new Myth-returnee, and currently Myth is unstable for me, due to low RAM on the system I'm using it on (an older desktop). I have the RAM on order, once I have time to install it, once I see Myth is working just fine for me, I absolutely plan to contact Magma to see if they take donations. And if I play online regularly, I figure I should donate PMNet at least the cost of a movie ticket or a few coffees/beers once/month. There are ongoing expenses to maintain PMNet, and if you're getting enjoyment out of it.... (not to mention they & Magma are GIVING LOTS of their time...and you benefit).
Death's Avatar wrote:I do not know for sure...but things that come out as numbers like 255 are usually hard limits...just kind of a rule of thumb...I imagine that making it higher could potentially require a lot of work
Very possible. 255 is the max value you can store in 1 byte (in binary). Which means there could be loads of data structures sprinkled throughout the Myth code which is based on a 1 byte value for this information, and to change it could require altering a lot of data structures, then checking a lot of code to verify it won't break if the data structure size has been expanded.
Last edited by The Seeker on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

The Seeker wrote:
Gjallarhorn wrote:I'm not intentionally nagging for someone to fix this, it's meant as a simple question, and maybe someone will say "Hey, that sounds like a good plan, maybe something for the next patch."
Ok, yeah, I get that...I do that too.

>And for donating; would you donate?? Doesn't sound good to me, pay money for game fixes.

Are you kidding me?!? Of course I would (will)!!! To be able to play your favorite game, with additional bug-fixes, on your current system, 10 years later!?! Isn't that worth something to you? Even just donating $5, one time (though I think it's worth more).

Currently Myth is unstable for me, due to low RAM on the system I'm using it on (an older desktop). I have the RAM on order, once I have time to install it, once I see Myth is working just fine for me, I absolutely plan to contact Magma to see if they take donations. And if I play online regularly, I figure I should donate PMNet at least the cost of a movie ticket or a few coffees/beers once/month. There are ongoing expenses to maintain PMNet, and if you're getting enjoyment out of it.... (not to mention they & Magma are GIVING LOTS of their time...and you benefit).
Death's Avatar wrote:I do not know for sure...but things that come out as numbers like 255 are usually hard limits...just kind of a rule of thumb...I imagine that making it higher could potentially require a lot of work
Very possible. 255 is the max value you can store in 1 byte (in binary). Which means there could be loads of data structures sprinkled throughout the Myth code which is based on a 1 byte value for this information, and to change it could require altering a lot of data structures, then checking a lot of code to verify it won't break if the data structure size has been expanded.
I understand you would pay, but you're from America, Europeans are more...how do you call it...stubborn with such things...
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Regarding donations, magma does indeed accept donations to cover things like domain name registration, and hosting costs.

It's highly unlikely you will get any kind of feature promise in exchange for money. A) there is no current development cycle and no immediate plans for one, B) it's ethically questionable in my opinion to accept money for working on a game that we don't own. The time spent working on myth is a labour of love, not a way in which to improve our financial standing.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Doobie wrote:Regarding donations, magma does indeed accept donations to cover things like domain name registration, and hosting costs.
Good. Can we Paypal it to an email address or how do you accept them? You need a "donate" link on your site.

>It's highly unlikely you will get any kind of feature promise in exchange for money.

Sounds like no one is actually looking for such. And, speaking for myself, it wouldn't bother me at all if donations DID make you money (course, that could be illegal, but that'd be on you :P)
Baak

Post by Baak »

The Seeker wrote:Very possible. 255 is the max value you can store in 1 byte (in binary). Which means there could be loads of data structures sprinkled throughout the Myth code which is based on a 1 byte value for this information, and to change it could require altering a lot of data structures, then checking a lot of code to verify it won't break if the data structure size has been expanded.
AFAIK there is a *lot* of this in the Myth code. From my experience dissecting tags and glancing at things I believe this is the most likely reason for a limit of some kind (and well described by The Seeker). 255 is a "magic" number - the maximum integer value stored in one byte. If it were simpler, it most likely would have been done already (i.e. raised to 32767, etc.).

With older code there is a vast potential to whack things in other areas when you start changing structure sizes, not to mention dealing with big/little -endian values and all that fun stuff. Then you have to test it, etc., etc.

You have to decide: is this work - and more importantly the potential of messing up other stuff (i.e. side-effects) - plus testing - worth it for the feature requested?

Just my two cents as a programmer.