Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

you can also find it at the myth vault here:

http://gallery.totalcodex.org/gallery/m ... itemId=277
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Point

any new thoughts on a pr campaign?

Post by Point »

ss
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Point

time to pimp myth...

Post by Point »

It's friday night there are 40 players on myth and 5 games being hosted....

um now that 1.6 is out and the tain is up and yada yada yada.... it is seriously time to get out the vote so to speak...

Myth Pimp contest....

--------Web page advertisement :awarded to the best myth fan page.

--------Web graphic : awarded to the best addvertising graphic to promote myth 1.6

-------Game related movie... posted to Utube myspace etc... : top 5 movies.

-------most sites spammed award... :awarded to the myther that pimp spams the most online forums with myth related adds

------ BEst new myth creations Map Coop Unit etc....

lets get cooking peeps time to get some people into the mix...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

What we need...

A good web page...a movie...then only after that get the demo posted to file share locations/promoted as much as possible and get the movie on YouTube & Google Video. The movie needs to include a reference to the web page. Pimping on forums is a good idea too. I made a tiny JPEG (here) that I use for pimping on forums.

>Did you have something like this in mind maybe?
http://myth-promo.kylemaclean.net/

The link is dead :(

The Project Magma Myth "/what" page is potentially just fine as a promo page. We could talk about tweaks to it. Obviously adding a movie would be cool. I think you have to update the RAM requirements...at least on a Mac under OS 9, given what v1.6 now asks for, 128MB isn't enough, never mind 64MB.

Also, the "Buy it now" info needs to be updated/changed. Right now the link's broken anyway. When it comes to buying, I think it should say something like: Myth is no longer being sold "new" by the publisher. The most popular version of Myth is "Myth II: Soulblighter". You can easily find new & used copies for $5-10 on eBay, Amazon, half.com, etc. Myth was released as a single Mac/Windows-compatible CD. If your purchase lacks a paper manual, one can be found on the CD. Besides looking for Soulblighter, if you find "Myth Total Codex" that includes Myth I, II, some free player maps, and a CD strategy guide. If you buy "Myth II: Worlds" you will get Myth II plus other free player maps.

>any thoughts on this.... formats size etc....

The best movie I've seen so far was <this one>. Mostly because it seems to be about the only movie with in-game sound, and the graphic quality is better than most. Though as viewed on YouTube, it's still a little small, fuzzy, & dark.

As for formats, size, etc:
Compatability: Something that can be played easily on Mac/Windows/Linux no matter what player you already have...QuickTime, Windows Media, etc. MPEG?

Size: As small as possible, so it's easy to post, host, transfer, email, stream, and download if you have limited bandwidth/time/patience/interest. But it still has to be big enough to give you a taste. So I propose:
10-20 sec. in length
640x480, thousands of colors
framerate: Not sure yet...JUST enough to look smooth

audio: We don't want to expand the file too much if including better sound is going to swell it too much. Baseline of 8-bit, mono, 11KHz. If that sounds too bad a representation of the in-game audio, or if bumping it up doesn't consume too much extra space, then bump it up.

Bigger/longer/higher quality ones are good too, but we need some small ones for promotion I think.

If someone has Snapz Pro (Mac OS X version or Classic version), Fraps (Windows), etc and makes a movie (any length) that's 640x480 (or I could probably down-convert to 640x480), millions of colors, high frame rate, in any codec (preferably modern one like MPEG4 or Sorenson encoding, etc) with full audio (16-bit, stereo, 44KHz), I'd be happy to fool with it, experiment with making an edited, reduced, lower quality version.

For max eye-candy, I'd suggest you zoom all the way out, then zoom in just enough so that the aliasing/pixellization of the sprites isn't noticeable but so a little more detail is visible. Turn off the overhead map.

I'd do a video of a "standard" Myth battle...2 reasonably-sized forces meeting for battle. Variety of troops. Troop & camera movement (a small amount of orbiting or panning?). As a simple example, on the solo level "Into the Breach", at the first stone gate, if you attack the thrall & archers, that's a nice little battle. Send your archers & warriors after the dark archers, send your dwarves at the thrall, orbit the camera little bit, voila, nice simple little battle illustrated. Or come up with whatever seems good to you, I haven't given this piece of it a lot of thought yet.
Last edited by The Seeker on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

The Seeker wrote:
>Did you have something like this in mind maybe?
http://myth-promo.kylemaclean.net/

The link is dead :(

The Project Magma Myth "/what" page is potentially just fine as a promo page. We could talk about tweaks to it. Obviously adding a movie would be cool. I think you have to update the RAM requirements...at least on a Mac under OS 9, given what v1.6 now asks for, 128MB isn't enough, never mind 64MB.
The reception to that demo page was fairly positive so I went ahead and put together a (admittedly rudimentary) full fledged website at http://gallery.totalcodex.org

If people wanted, it would be a piece of cake to setup an album for a contest and let people submit their videos there and have users rate them.

As for the myth requirements, I'm not on a mac, but I'm pretty sure the requirements haven't changed beyond the need for 64mb of ram. Can anyone verify this?

Finally, I quite like the projectmagma.net what is myth page, aka getmyth.com

If that buy myth link is dead it certainly needs fixing, and that page definitely needs a good video showcasing the versatility of myth.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Doobie wrote:As for the myth requirements, I'm not on a mac, but I'm pretty sure the requirements haven't changed beyond the need for 64mb of ram. Can anyone verify this?
I can tell you that on OS 9 the app is tagged as requiring 100MB to run and preferring 192MB. If you attempt to force it to use less than 100MB, it warns you that Myth may crash. Since a fairly small boot of OS 9 still takes up about 34MB that tells you that even 128MB isn't enough for Myth. I HAVE successfully run solo play on a 128MB system, but there were some oddities that I'm guessing were due to lack of RAM. It crashed sometimes, it lost sound fairly often between gameplays (so had to quit & restart Myth), it kept forgetting certain preferences (like resolution) fairly often, etc.

>If that buy myth link is dead it certainly needs fixing

It links to half.com but the search fails. I'm also not sure that searching for "myth 2" is better than searching for "myth ii". Also, when recently looking to replace my misplaced copy of M2, half.com was the worst place to find it...mostly used/scratched copies, missing manuals, with very little info posted about the product itself. Finding it on eBay was a lot better. I got it new, with manuals, with better descriptions of what you were buying.
Point

set some standards....

Post by Point »

a standard size and format would be great to give as a guide to people making videos....

a link tag in the video would be good as well... to post on myspace, google utube etc...

lower right corner maybe since websites put theres in left?

Recomended... what do you think...

movie size 640x480 320x240?
file format? .mov .avi .wmv ?
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
MythII soulblighter @ projectmagma.net playmyth.net UTUBEetc...

and if anyone has some good links to programs to both capture the video from myth and edit it be sure to share....
The Seeker

Re: set some standards....

Post by The Seeker »

Point wrote:Recomended... what do you think...
movie size 640x480 320x240?
file format? .mov .avi .wmv ?
If you look 4 posts back in this thread (just go higher up on this page) at my lengthy post, I recommend size, formats, codecs, etc.

>a link tag in the video would be good as well... to post on myspace, google utube etc...
lower right corner maybe since websites put theres in left?

Sounds good. If people will find it too hard to put it in the corner as an overlay, would be fine to just make brief title screen, as well as ending "credits", and just have the link show up as a full-frame text telling you where to go.

>MythII soulblighter @ projectmagma.net playmyth.net UTUBEetc...

We could just direct people to
http://www.getmyth.com/
That gives you the demo, buying advice, tells about PMNet & MNet. Though that page needs updating, as I posted.

>and if anyone has some good links to programs to both capture the video from myth and edit it be sure to share....

Again, look at my long post earlier in this thread, I put links in there.
Point

the get myth page

Post by Point »

The get myth page could be updated with a link to the movie page and the tain... as well as a more prominent playmyth and marius link then I think that would be the way to go...

So I think that works... MYTH II @getmyth on either overlay frame if people can do or title and end credits...

as far as programs the more the better...

I have premier and windows movie maker though my demo of frapps ran out long ago... on the mac i use snap proz though my mac monitor is dead. so im stuck on the pc for capturing...

LET THE FUN BEGIN.....
CWR movie in the works... Casting call I need actors er I mean players
The Seeker

Re: the get myth page

Post by The Seeker »

Point wrote:CWR movie in the works... Casting call I need actors er I mean players
What's CWR? So you want to make your movie based off multi-player?
Point

jump over to the map making forum... for what is cwr

Post by Point »

jump over to the map making forum... for what is cwr

Civil War Reloaded..... mod.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

zagon666 on PMNet forums had a good idea in my thread "A map/units that could attract new Myth players?"

Another way to promote Myth...try to get Bungie to post something on their homepage about the 10 year anniversary.

My comments on zagon's idea...maybe Bungie could also mention the potential for MWC07, the fact that the games are patched to work in XP/Vista/OS X, that the map makers, free servers, and community still exist, and that the game is still easily found on eBay, Amazon, etc.
Point

re pmnet post

Post by Point »

myth lotr does exist.. check out the brazillian mythers page for its download and another version was in the works... both are built on TSG...

also AoM in my udogs folder has many lotr elements including many units and icons from the genre...

as for new mythers as in my previous posts this can be done... for mythII still kicks many games behinds... when CWR finals I imagine it will bring in a few civil war gaming fans especially since the civil war games out there are lame in many ways. So as soon as we get all the ads and such in place I say spam away on the various gamer forums and let the demo downloads begin... hopefully my mods will work with the demos we will see.. if i can reach that goal.
Point

my first movie effort... for cwr

Post by Point »

i did some animations for CWE though this is my first lame attempt at testing how to make the movies... lol enjoy...

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... ook-01.wmv

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... ook-01.wmv