Newb Overhead map questions

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
t o x y n

Newb Overhead map questions

Post by t o x y n »

What dimensions (or what size limit) can I use for overhead maps?

Also, I tried using a basic 128x128, pict image for an overhead. When I load up my map in Myth, my overhead is all black. Why does that happen?
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Hmm, I use 128x128 and everything is OK, but if you are on Windows, you should use BMP instead of PICT.
Organ Donor

Re: Newb Overhead map questions

Post by Organ Donor »

t o x y n wrote:What dimensions (or what size limit) can I use for overhead maps?

Also, I tried using a basic 128x128, pict image for an overhead. When I load up my map in Myth, my overhead is all black. Why does that happen?
I've used 150x150 and it worked, save as an indexed pict or bmp
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

There was a program at least for PC called "jade" that I think lets you use any size BMP overhead. I couldn't find it anywere though... maybe you dont need it anymore
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Download links:

http://www.onyxwarlords.com/thefallensv ... de.exe.zip (Windows)

http://www.onyxwarlords.com/thefallensv ... s/Jade.sit (Mac)

fwiw, I've had trouble recently with overheads appearing black as well. I've made several maps and imported plenty of different versions of overhead maps into loathing with no problems in the past, but I just noticed the problem recently that when I test the map the overhead is black (or dark grey at least). I tried resaving making sure the # of indexed colors are less than 240 and that I was using a standard size but am still having the issue.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
t o x y n

Post by t o x y n »

Thanks for the tip about bigger overhead sizes.

I'm on a Mac (OSX), and I indexed then saved as a pict at 128x128. I just keep having the same issue when I try to play my map. :(

I'll triple-check the settings I used in PS again to see if I missed anything.
ozone

Post by ozone »

OH maps do not have to be 240 colors. They can be 256 like other collections. 240 is for colormaps only. Also when indexing....set the first 3 colors to colors not found in the bitmap. Like pure blue/red/green or something.
do it.
t o x y n

Post by t o x y n »

ozone wrote:OH maps do not have to be 240 colors. They can be 256 like other collections. 240 is for colormaps only. Also when indexing....set the first 3 colors to colors not found in the bitmap. Like pure blue/red/green or something.
aye

I'm still having the same issue though. Regardless of what dimension size I try (tried both 150x150 and 128x128), or max color amount (tried both 240 and 256)... I have the same problem when I try to play the map. *shrug*
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Have you tried putting the colormap in with Amber? I always do it that way, because I've never had very good luck with doing it in Fear.
The cake is a lie.
t o x y n

Post by t o x y n »

Nah, haven't tried Amber or Jade yet. Looks like I'm gonna hafta give those apps a shot though. I just tried it again and got the same result. Just to note, I tried importing a pregame screen just see if that would work, and I got the same result: all black. Hmph...?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I've ALWAYS had problems with the overhead files loathing imports. I've used jade for years now, and never had a single problem. I just recently created an overhead map that is 480x480 pixles too, and it works finely.

As Ozone pointed out, overheads don't get stained or spattered with blood, so they can be the full 256 indexed limit, however set the first 3 tones to colours unused by your map. I generally go with values in photoshop of 240/100/100, 300/100/100, 130/100/100.... they're pretty obnoxious. Index it and save as a .bmp (for mac and pc), open up jade and import your bitmap. It'll give you an error message about the file not being 190x377 pixles or something cause it's not a pregame image..... hit OK, make sure Overhead Map is selected, and away you go.

As a side note, if you want those nice transparent corners like you see on alot of bungie maps, paint triangles in the corners of your overhead .bmp in the same first obnoxious blue tone you chose for the index table. That's a transparent colour, makes those pixles invisible in myth.

Good luck.
t o x y n

Post by t o x y n »

Imported thru Jade (made the picture file a .bmp of course), and built the plugin file. Worked great! Jade ftw.

thanks fellas
Organ Donor

Re: Newb Overhead map questions

Post by Organ Donor »

I would hate to state the obvious, but did you tell Fear what over head map to use for your mesh?
Imported thru Jade (made the picture file a .bmp of course), and built the plugin file. Worked great! Jade ftw.
oops never mind :|
t o x y n

Post by t o x y n »

er, what