A conspiracy theory

Talk about anything here.
AblitERateOR

A conspiracy theory

Post by AblitERateOR »

Ok so heres my theory..
the culprit behind the current string of attacks on playmyth.net is gametap, yup they're trying to kill our server to stop their paying customers coming over to the superior realm! Once playmyth is dead, the will focus on mariusnet. ahahah...... :( :(
Last edited by AblitERateOR on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
voiceofra

Re: yA conspiracy theory

Post by voiceofra »

AblitERateOR wrote:Ok so heres my theory..
the culprit behind the current string of attacks on playmyth.net is gametap, yup they're trying to kill our server to stop their paying customers coming over to the superior realm! Once playmyth is dead, the will focus on mariusnet. ahahah...... :( :(
Hmm. Isn't that how some little pissant company, back in the Mid-70s to 80s, started their software company?
Didn't they buy out some guy's operating system software-- DOS or something like that?
:P
Archer

Post by Archer »

No, actually. That particular company got started writing applications for the Apple II.

Ironic, I know.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I happen to know the guy, Jack, who wrote the orignal Windows DOS program and sold it to Bill Gates. Or at least.. my parents know him, I've met him a couple of times though. He got about 22 million for it, about 18 or 19 years ago (just before I was born.. so... around there).

Gates has since increased that initial investment probably 10000 fold.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Graydon wrote:I happen to know the guy, Jack, who wrote the orignal Windows DOS program and sold it to Bill Gates. Or at least.. my parents know him, I've met him a couple of times though. He got about 22 million for it, about 18 or 19 years ago (just before I was born.. so... around there).

I assume you mean he made that much in licensing royalties over the years? Because I can't imagine there was any way Gates had 22 million back in 1980/81 to pay to anyone.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
voiceofra

Post by voiceofra »

Graydon wrote:I happen to know the guy, Jack, who wrote the orignal Windows DOS program and sold it to Bill Gates. Or at least.. my parents know him, I've met him a couple of times though. He got about 22 million for it, about 18 or 19 years ago (just before I was born.. so... around there).

I hardly think it was that much:
Microsoft purchased a nonexclusive license for 86-DOS from Seattle Computer Products in December 1980 for $25,000. In May 1981, it hired Tim Paterson to port QDOS to the IBM-PC, which used the slower and less expensive Intel 8088 processor and had its own specific family of peripherals. IBM watched the developments daily, submitted over 300 change requests before accepting the product and wrote the user manual for it.
In July 1981, a month before the PC's release, Microsoft purchased all rights to 86-DOS from SCP for $50,000.
Horus

Re: A conspiracy theory

Post by Horus »

I honestly wouldn't put it past them. Pay to play companies deserve to be taken out hanged, shot, re-hanged, quartered, beheaded, then tie to four genetically altered super horses that will run North, South, East, West respectively.

If I buy a game, I don't want to have to spend more money to play it.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Horus wrote:Pay to play companies deserve to be taken out hanged, shot, re-hanged, quartered, beheaded, then tie to four genetically altered super horses that will run North, South, East, West respectively.
You forgot boiled in oil and disembowled, and the resulting cavity filled with hot coals.
The cake is a lie.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Horus wrote:
I honestly wouldn't put it past them. Pay to play companies deserve to be taken out hanged, shot, re-hanged, quartered, beheaded, then tie to four genetically altered super horses that will run North, South, East, West respectively.

If I buy a game, I don't want to have to spend more money to play it.
How I laugh at people who buy WoW money on eBay.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

The Elfoid wrote:How I laugh at people who buy WoW money on eBay.
How about people who pay actual real money for Diablo II items? How obsessed can you GET?
The cake is a lie.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

What exactly have the attacks involved thus-far? I suspect they probably aren't targetted but instead are just an automated script that is attacking phpBB/phpNuke vulnerabilities by using search-engine queries to find targets.

phpBB and phpNuke while great for being open-source are so incredibly badly designed and sloppily coded that all the exploits I've seen are something stupid like variables that aren't being properly handled and allow people to alter database queries and other nasty things.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

I payed real money for online money once... I payed 3 dollars for $1,000,000 in game which would have taken me like 30 hours to get in game... well worth it for those of us with jobs!
t o x y n

Post by t o x y n »

haravikk wrote:What exactly have the attacks involved thus-far? I suspect they probably aren't targetted but instead are just an automated script that is attacking phpBB/phpNuke vulnerabilities by using search-engine queries to find targets.

phpBB and phpNuke while great for being open-source are so incredibly badly designed and sloppily coded that all the exploits I've seen are something stupid like variables that aren't being properly handled and allow people to alter database queries and other nasty things.
PlayMyth was using a customized version of Post-Nuke and a custom phpbb2 module for PN, not php-nuke. But yea, both are great targets for hacking/spam/etc. A little while back, one of the PMAs posted that they fixed a lot of the issues within Post-Nuke themselves, and obviously modded it to work in conjunction with the game server. In the same forum thread, they also mentioned something about switching to the Expression Engine app when they redo the website.
mcchazo

Post by mcchazo »

Khadrelt wrote:
The Elfoid wrote:How I laugh at people who buy WoW money on eBay.
How about people who pay actual real money for Diablo II items? How obsessed can you GET?
Hey nothing's wrong with that, I made a nice chunk of $$ selling Diablo2 items!
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I didn't say it was wrong, I said it was obsessive. :)

As the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute.
The cake is a lie.