Trouble running Myth 2 1.6

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Liesmith

Trouble running Myth 2 1.6

Post by Liesmith »

So I'm probably going to get no help here, if that is the case I totally understand.
I play the Myth series through about once a year, at the start of the summer, as sort of a fun ritual. I've been doing it since a year after TFL came out. My problem is that my Myth II CD scratched a while back. Not the end of the world, I just got a no-CD hack and went along my merry way. Unfortunately, with the advent of 1.6, I'm sort of at a loss. when I try to run the game, absolutely nothing happens. it doesn't tell me to insert a CD or anything, it just never leaves the desktop. However, when I open the task manager Myth is running as a process in the background. I was wondering, is there a fix for this? If not, that's fine, I can stick with 1.5.

I hope I'm not breaking the rules here by mentioning the no-CD thing. I've purchased the game new in every one of its incarnations (vanilla, Total Codex and Worlds) and would do so again, but I can't find Myth locally and it's not like Bungie will make anything more from it anyway. Still, if that sort of thing isn't OK around here I totally understand.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

If you don't get any information on how to get Myth II 1.6 running with the install on your HD, you can always find copies of Myth II for sale on eBay or Amazon - often under $10 including shipping. (one currently for sale has a 'buy it now' price of $4.99)

To increase your selection do seperate searches for "Myth II", "Myth 2" and "SoulBlighter".
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

So it appears you're using Windows. The 1.6 installer offers two options, Myth II 1.6 Modern and Myth II 1.6 Classic. Which did you pick? Did you try using the other one? If that doesn't help, post the contents of your myth_log.txt.
voiceofra

Post by voiceofra »

Which version of Windows?
I had a problem today similar to yours...
I installed Myth II under the admin account. when trying to run it under my nephews' "limited user" account, I had the same symptoms you did.
Had to change his account to an admin account and Myth II ran fine (we have the windows shared computer toolkit, we set the restrictions so he could run the program, but not do any admin stuff.
Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

Wow, thanks Myrd! I didn't even consider installing the "classic" build, since I'm on XP. Once I switched, it immediately ran with no problem. Disaster has been averted, and my Suumer Myth tradition can continue!

I'm extremely grateful for your help with this. Absolutely made my day.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

voiceofra wrote:Which version of Windows?
I installed Myth II under the admin account. when trying to run it under my nephews' "limited user" account, I had the same symptoms you did.
Had to change his account to an admin account and Myth II ran fine (we have the windows shared computer toolkit, we set the restrictions so he could run the program, but not do any admin stuff.
Thanks for going to the trouble of linking that shared computer toolkit, I'd never heard of it. I'm an IT guy by day and this will help resolve a conflict between the desire to not hand out admin accounts, and a particular program we use that demands them.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
voiceofra

Post by voiceofra »

Doobie wrote:
voiceofra wrote:Which version of Windows?
Thanks for going to the trouble of linking that shared computer toolkit, I'd never heard of it. I'm an IT guy by day and this will help resolve a conflict between the desire to not hand out admin accounts, and a particular program we use that demands them.
Glad I could help - even if it was sorta out of context ;)

I'd never heard of the toolkit either, until I went googling for a solution to restrict an account (kids "break" stuff, get in to places they shouldn't on the 'puter...) - and I'm an IT guy myself!!
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

You don't need no-CD cracks anymore.