Balor's Armor

Talk about anything here.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

Try the Demo out. Give it a whirl, and see how you like it.

It's times like this when I wish Myth 2 was freeware....

Myth is a great game, that only fairly recently has been overshadowed by conventional RTS'. Until recently, nothing near a semblance of Myth was in games. ALl you had were gameplay mechanics made popular by Starcraft. (and to a degree WC2). Yes that's right. Horrible Unit control, battles determined by numbers instead of tactics, terrain that has little effect on gameplay, little to no physics with combat determined by statistics, and relatively shallow combat.

Is it any wonder that games recently have abandoned those mechanics? Now we have unit/ squad mechanic gameplay, unit actions like Taking cover/ terrain effect, real physics engines, full 3D rotatable combat, gameplay that puts more focus on combat than farming gold (BTW How I mine 4 fish?)
-----------------------------------------
My rant on RTS'
Just to rag on the Genre as a whole... While I had fun with RTS games of the 90's, (especially Starcraft back in the day) I always had more fun setting up Siege Tanks on hills, and making Bunkers, Troop Drops, etc, than I did with the resource/ troop construction mechanics.

I hated how in Online games everything was determined by How well you trained yourself to hit hotkeys, twitch your mouse, and get 1000+ credits, a barracks, and a supply depot, in under 2 minutes. Instead of long winded battles of Aircraft, ground troops, artillery, and base defenses, you had a horde of +50 marines rushing your meager 2 bunkers and siege tank in the first 5 minutes. It was as if everything taught to you in Single player was all a lie. Who needs Bunkers when your setting up for a rush?

I had much more fun playing C&C back in the day, because it not only had a more compelling universe ( I have yet to play C&C 3, but so far, outside of style differences, and the changing of Tiberium, EA didn't F*** with the story too much), but the gameplay was much more sensible.

Whether it was setting up walls and building a balanced force in Tiberium Dawn, Or building a force of Jump Troopers and Titans, while making a firestorm defense, or even entrenching your infantry in RA2, it all had a great flow to it. My only gripe has always been, that they always moved just a little bit too fast. I just shook my head when EA decided to make C&C3 so fast that you could be killed by Mammoth tanks and an Ion cannon in less than 5 minutes in a Multiplayer match.

Myth really filled that gap in a Genre I've avoided for so long. On it's own it was great. When I found some of the plugins, like Special Forces 2, It was like a dream.
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
Archer

Post by Archer »

To be fair, Myth has a little of the "twitch your mouse" effect—see the duels between any explosive units, most noticeably Warlocks.

With a little work, someone could come out with an awesome game in the same vein (for example, put more physics into damage—shrapnel thrown by explosions should be devastating, not a source of minor amounts of extra damage. Also, if Myth currently scales projectile impact damage by projectile speed, it isn't pronounced enough for me to have noticed). It's sad that this gets ignored—it's almost as bad as space sims, which have been pretty much dead since Freespace 2 (which was so close to being ultimate, but they just had to go with atmospheric control. I wonder why there's so much air in space?).

I'm mostly asleep, so hopefully that was coherent.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

man i miss x-wing.... :D
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

This has gone beyond off-topic.
geyser

Post by geyser »

OK, OK, don't frog blast the vent core...
Archer

Post by Archer »

No. You must frogblast the ventcore. It is obligatory.

~Thank god it's you!
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Archer wrote:... space sims, which have been pretty much dead since Freespace 2 (which was so close to being ultimate, but they just had to go with atmospheric control. I wonder why there's so much air in space?) ...
Have you checked this out?

Back on topic (kinda sorta - its back on myth anyway) ... I remember reading somewhere that Blam was Bungie's codeword for Halo. In the scripting for With Friends Like These, the 3 trow enemies are codenamed Blam, Oni and Myth.
Last edited by iron on Tue May 01, 2007 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

and then ACTUALLY back on topic, balor's armor!!!!
Muhammad is the most common given name in the world. Chang is the most common family name. There are, however, very few people named 'Muhammad Chang.'
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

Yeah. I think it's really nice and shiny :)
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

But his feet are so Pointy!

I think a small flaw in the design is just how it stacks up to the other Fallen that we see.

Part of me thinks it's that he's just too shiny... and lacking detail.

I mean, Look at SoulBlighter. Shiver. The Deceiver.

And even look at the fan made Watcher (Not saying he isn't cool. But One of these days somebody's going to have to attempt porting in a 1 handed model based off his statue version.)

Balor is completely different from the rest of them. His Armor is shiny, his feet look like a Dr. Susse book character. He looks incredibly out of place in v.TFL in Rhi'Annon.

Hark, I commandeth that some one create a "High-Def" version of Balor, with less goofy looking armor! (As in just remaking it so it's not so god damned shiny)
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

So he should have spiky black armor, a cape, and a horned helm like every other villain ever?

Speaking in terms of visual effect, I like Balor better than all of them except for Soulblighter. I think the shinyness was the point. He used to be Connacht, you know (I'm going to pretend I haven't seen Connacht wearing a dorky wolfskin and speaking with a fake Scottish accent).
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Cobalt 7 wrote:But his feet are so Pointy!...Part of me thinks it's that he's just too shiny... and lacking detail....
Balor is completely different from the rest of them. His Armor is shiny, his feet look like a Dr. Susse book character. He looks incredibly out of place in v.TFL in Rhi'Annon.

Hark, I commandeth that some one create a "High-Def" version of Balor, with less goofy looking armor! (As in just remaking it so it's not so god damned shiny)
But the pointy feet and shiny armor are how we know it's balor. I mean Shiver is the wrinkly chick, Soulblighter is the guy with the joker smile, The Deceiver is the homeless looking guy, The Watcher is the guy with one arm, but how would you describe Balor - "The guy with the pointy feet and the shiny armor" - am I right?

Besides, perhaps Balor was well known for having really pointy feet. You know what they say about people with pointy feet...
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Also, pointy feet were not uncommon on suits of armor.
geyser

Post by geyser »

... the whole point of those pointy toes being that the foot should find the stirrup and stay there (same as for cowboy boots)
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

I don't know... Just something about that shinyness, along with his design, just feels out of place. I mean, he's leagues taller than most Men, wears a very round, kinda dorky bit of armor.

not saying the design choice wasn't great, but at times it just feels out of place.