Replays for a noob?

Talk about anything here.
Newbage

Replays for a noob?

Post by Newbage »

Hello everyone, I just got into myth II several days ago after scouring the net for old-school games with co-op for me and my Teamspeak community to play. I must say that I was thoroughly surprised at how ahead of it's time this game was. Needless to say though, I'm a complete noob and am extremely curious as to how real pros play the game. Would anyone happen to have epic replays of skillful players/teams using advanced formations and tactics that they could post and/or discuss? I've done some googling and came up with nothing... probably because of the game's age. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Newbage on Sun May 20, 2007 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

well, I have two sources for you. Doubtless there are many more that people could point you to.

The Valor Tournament of several months ago still has film links in it here: Brackets Results Page. Unfortunately, I don't see that past Myth World Cup tournament sites are still up, for they'd give you the best large team-based games. Valor had smaller teams.

I have this special little thing I get a kick out of doing successfully, especially now that so many ppl expect it, that you can check out in this film pack: Wightblast Film Pack.

Hopefully others will chime in w/ more links.
ducky

Post by ducky »

oh, hell yea.

first of all, depending on what you're looking for, this game has single player/co-op and multiplayer, with multiplayer being either free for all (ie. 5 players, 5 armies) or team games, (ie. 14 players, 2 armies). On top of that, you have tournaments, where the players on a team have usually played with each other a little longer, and the strategies are a little more "polished," then you have everyday random team games, where maybe 14 players join a team game and are randomly assigned teams, and strategies/teamwork usually just depends on how good the players are at adapting.

Fortunately though, these days most players have so much experience, that even a few random ranked games I've played in the past few months can be hot contests. I'll make you a couple of film packs of the really good ones.

In the meantime, here are some examples of relatively recent great play in:

Co-op
In the Myth equivalent of a WoW run, here's a replay of a team beating possibly the hardest Myth co-op map ever created on the hardest setting. (took about 2+ hours to beat)

Tourney Team Play
The most recent major Myth team tournament was MWC06, and results can be found here. Download Np vs. BIA, that's probably the best match. Other good ones are tcox vs. BME(bottom bracket semis), and Np vs. tcox (the finals).

Speaking of which, you should check out http://www.mwc07.com (and the promo video), and sign up a team! There's no better opportunity to compete against the "pro" teams than this.

as for FFA and random Team play, I'll put together some replays and post the links.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

There are tons of films at the the myth vault, though i can't vouch for the quality of the gameplay.

Suprisingly, a number of the Myth World Cup tournament sites are still in existence - several still have films available for download - usually in the 'results' section

Links to MWC sites and a few other tourneys can be found at:

http://mything.org/index.php?a=search-l ... ament&v1=y
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

One should also note that since he is new, when posting flims from plugins it would be wise to link to the plugins as well..
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
Newbage

Post by Newbage »

Thanks alot for responses guys you've all be extremely helpful. Especially ducky, you went all out in ur post. Thanks alot guys.
king paris

Post by king paris »

p.s. tcox played both of those mwc matches on teamspeak as a matter of fact!!!
hey :D
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

And if you are interested in solo films, here is the myth done quick website, where the people try to finish the maps as fast as they can.

http://myth2.info/mdq2.shtml

But don't watch those films if you didn't already finish the solo campaign, it may spoil your fun.
Newbage

Post by Newbage »

Hey guys, I downloaded mazzarin's demise VI but I'm not sure how to use it. Do i just copy and paste both "Magma-Mazz VI (V.2)" and "Mazzarin's Demise Interface" into the myth's plugin folder? How do I access the plugin after that and what does it consist of? Is it just like one map or a series of maps? I looked at the manual but it doesn't really have installation instructions (unless your count how to install the interface). I also saw something about Mazzarin's demise - secret level, is that THE mazzarin's demise's main course, or is it secret in that you earn it after playing Mazz's main course? And do you need a particular plugin to view a replay for it?
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

To Install and use plugins:
1) Put the plugin in your "plugins" folder

2a) To start a single player game with a plugin, click "Plugins" on the new game dialog, select the plugin you want, add it to the list on the right (via arrows or double clicking, it will make sense when you see it).
3a) Sometimes, the level you want won't appear on the left, so you click cancel, then click new game while holding shift (that gives you access to all availible levels. Again this may make more sense when you actually try)

Keep in mind though to play it as a single player, it will need to contain actual single player missions (Probably most are just multi maps, but many are single or coop (like Mazz for example).

2b) The load a multiplayer plugin, host a multiplayer game, and click the options button that takes you to the game setup. On there is a plugins button, that works the same way as the plugins button on the single player

Soooo its early and this may not be a complete set of instructions, but I hope it helps.

When you watch a film that uses a plugin, if the plugin is in your plugins folder, it will load it automatically, if not, it will let you know that you don't.

-DA
Newbage

Post by Newbage »

Thanks for the info avatar, I managed to get it working. Man... that secret level is ridiculously intense... I read somewhere that you need a key to beat it. What does the key entail? Is it some file/mod that does something to the units or unit counts on either side or is it just a peice of strategic info like "do this and go there at this time with this unit while doing another thing with these other units to avoid this, this, and that, which would've resulted in you getting totally creamed"? Also, is there a mazzarin's version of the tutorial map out there somewhere that just lets a single player leisurely mess around with the Mazzarin's demise units (in a town of hapless villagers or something) to get familiar with them without all the pressure laid down by the real map?
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

The 'key' is a series of actions (taunting certain units in a certain order and such) that has to be carried out within a certain amount of time when the game begins. If you don't do it right, all of your units get obliterated.
The cake is a lie.
Newbage

Post by Newbage »

Oh i see. Does anyone know what the key is or is that piece of info still classified? And does anyone happen to know how to draw on the minimap? Is it something that only the team captain can do?

Oh and Paris, you mentioned other people using teamspeak with this game. Do you happen to know how to fix this problem I'm having where running this game (whether in single player or online) makes my teamspeak constantly disconnect (and reconnect since I have that on auto) causing me to miss most of a given convo? In instances where it doesn't do the rapid disconects, I still have massive packet loss (i think) which basically makes it sound as if no one else in the channel is finishing their sentences. It drove me nuts before I realized it was the game causing it. I initially thought people were just not holding down their talk buttons or something. It was like a cellphone call with crappy reception.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

I'm no Mazz man (haven't played since version 2 or so), but I thought a well-practiced and cohesive group of players could beat it without this "key." Has that changed?
Newbage wrote: is there a mazzarin's version of the tutorial map out there somewhere that just lets a single player leisurely mess around with the Mazzarin's demise units (in a town of hapless villagers or something) to get familiar with them without all the pressure laid down by the real map?
As for the pressure of the real map vs just practicing, just practice with the pressures of the real map! How much pressure can there be, it's just a game! You can practice until dead, then restart and practice some more. That's practice.

Alternate Unit Types (Total Conversions)
Want to try using other unit types on the standard solo levels (or on TheFallen Levels, from http://projectmagma.net/downloads/ )? Baak of OoH (orderofhpak.com) has made a tagset pack lets you use any of four totally different unit conversions on any given solo map: Solo Anywhere vs Myth at Order of H'pak Downloads.

Solo Anywhere vs Myth
You choose any of the following total conversions for your units when you play solo with the Solo Anywhere vs Myth
~SoloAW ADT 0.1 (Alien Dark Tide unit tagset -- from the Alien movies)
~SoloAW MythWarrior 0.1 (A science fiction unit set)
~SoloAW Wild West 0.1 (Fancy yourself a gunslinger, boy?)
~SoloAW Worlds Collide 0.1 (Another sci fi unit set)

Note that the above are different from the MythWarrior Anywhere,
Worlds Collide Anywhere,
Wild West Anywhere,
ADT Anywhere
, and
WW II Anywhere plugins.
These latter are for team and FFA games, and a hell of a lot of fun. Get them all here as well: Order of H'Pak Downloads.

Oh, man, one other thing: You really might as well get everything at the orderofhpak.com site from both the Downloads link and the BattlePlan links, but if you only get one other thing you should make it the Trebuchets plugin. It lets you switch out selected unit types for the amazing and awesome Trebuchet unit.

Wow, Newbage, you are about to be totally stoked up!
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

to draw on the map, click on tiny pen icon, near the map.
To erase stuff, click on the rubber.
You might want to press F6 to make them appear/disappear.