Can some one school me on morale and vet level promotion 1.6

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Point

Can some one school me on morale and vet level promotion 1.6

Post by Point »

anyone have any hints tips or thoughts on some of the 1.6 features.

Veterans leveling =

morale boost =

CWR- officers boost morale
soldiers level up with kills
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Wait...am I understanding correctly? Is "leveling up" a simple monster-tag feature in 1.6 (like morale), rather than being scripted with multiple monsters and MOMAs as it would have been in previous versions?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

No.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Ok. That's what I thought.

I that case, levelling up is achieved with multiple versions of the same monster--different monster/unit tags, so that the higher-level versions will have better attacks or faster recovery or whatever. On the map, you use a TUNI to check for a certain number of kills, and then you use a MOMA to replace the level 1 version with the level 2 version, and so on.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Err, he meant to include the sets of CTRLs that turn the level 1 unit invisible, and level 2 unit visible in coordination with the MOMA.

As for morale, I'm not too sure.
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

Er, I thought levelling was done by giving a unit an artifact that replaced its monster tag. That's how I did it on Emonds Field.

As for Morale. You set which units you want to be effected by setting the "can be effected by morale" button (i'm sure that's not exactly what its called =). Then you go to the CWR Officer and set how much it effects morale. Pretty strait forward actually. The only tricky thing to remember is that morale doesn't stack, so if you have 2 cwr officers next to each other they wont vet the units twice as much. Also you need to remember that you cant have say Unit A vet unit B but not Unit D, and have Unit C vet unit D but not unit B. If a unit effects morale, it effects the morale of any unit that has the "can be effected by morale" checkbox checked.
Point

hmm

Post by Point »

ok so it sounds like if i reduce the area i currently have as affecting morale the more effective it will be that way the officers and flag bearers one cancel each other out.. and simply affect the units nearest to them... which would make good formations that much more valuable....

i imagine even if say a general trumps a major in morale boosts its more random which one would boost morale of the troops around them.

really should make for some interesting battle dynamics
no more sending the fodder out with out a leader.

as for leveling up I think i'll leave that for a map maker/scriptor to do later...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

TarousZars wrote:Er, I thought levelling was done by giving a unit an artifact that replaced its monster tag. That's how I did it on Emonds Field.
You can, but not if you want them to have other artifacts. If you gave a unit a "leveling" artifact and then gave him a Mazz-style crystal spell artifact, he'd have to choose between the two. The level up would be impermanent.
Point

morale ranges

Post by Point »

morale range defualt is 255 is morale range = to say attack range or on a different scale..??
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

Point, that sounds (morale) pretty interesting for formations and leaders
how would you create a nice morale set up? (values of ranges, etc) so it really affects a tight formation in a battle?
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Point

morale ranges

Post by Point »

the belief is that range of morale is same for attacks....

i will have to shrink mine down a bit then more than likely
as for civil war
sgts 1 unit
Lts. 3units
captains 5
majors 7
generals 10
commander 15

flag bearers 15

is my thought at present...
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

hahahaha!
I was using ranges of 60 or 80!!!
of course that's why it didn't work....

thanks!!!!!
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Point

morale ... does it work on ranged units...

Post by Point »

what does morale do... what values does it enhance.... does it affect ranged units or just melee...etc... same exact as in myth III?

is there a document somewhere... for the latest fear loathing ?
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

As far as I've noted it affects all units that have the 'Morale can be affected' box checked. Attack speed is the most readily apparent improvement, but as it adds 'virtual' kills to the units it will vet them just as if they had earned the kills themselves..
So, probably movement speed is affected as well as accuracy maybe for ranged units. I'm not really sure though.. :oops:
cyan21

Post by cyan21 »

Well I've done a lot of unit testing, and this is what I've gathered. Let's say you put 5 in the "Allied Kill Bonus" slot. That means that any nearby allies will gain a maximum of 5 "virtual kills". So for instance in one of my single/coop maps, I increased the maximum range of experience from the default 5 to 15, to give them slower scaling, and with only 5 in the "AKB" slot, no matter how many kills the morale officer has, the other nearby units will only gain a bonus of 5. If I changed it to 15, a unit with zero kills would perform exactly the same as he would at maximum experience while around the morale officer.

Now I have yet to test Enemy Kill Bonus fully, but, I do believe it works on the opposite spectrum of Allied Kill Bonus. So if you're surrounded by say 5 mobs with 20 kills between them, then it would take a unit not affected by a nearby morale officer, 35 kills to generate the same performance of a unit with 15 kills, that's surrounded by fresh mobs with no kills. So essentially, as you lose units you really start to take a hit if you have values in both.