account already in use

Talk about anything here.
Anthson

Post by Anthson »

Horus wrote:If it's still alive, and can be played on, then there is potiential that it will be fixed - even when others do not believe that is so.
You're describing your dedication to the server as though it's some kind of religion. Could it possibly be, in some way, that the server is harming the community in its current state? Maybe? Possibly? Will you just think about it for a moment?

You've said all along the solution is to fix it. At what point do we drop hope of that happening? Six months down the road and nothing's changed? 12? You're sounding like we should never give up hope on the server no matter how long it's been since it broke. It's just a game server, dude. It's not Jesus Christ and you're not sitting around looking to the sky waiting for His return at any moment.
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

Pyro wrote:
Anthson wrote:Maybe I'm too simple, but I can't figure out who you're arguing with or what exactly you're advocating.
He is countering AblitERateOR's comments.

I think its retarded people that there are people not willing to switch to Mnet. I understand there are people that don't know about Mnet, don't know its working again, or don't know how to switch. But the people that do know of Mnet that might be willing to stop playing Myth if PMnet goes down and not go to Mnet are just retarded. If they were so "dedicated" they would switch. The game isn't affected by what server you are using.

Those retards probably forgot or don't know that Mnet came before PMnet. The only reason PMnet became more popular was that at first I believe PMnet was supporting all 3 Myth games, something that Mnet at the moment didn't if memory serves right. Then Mnet crashed and people just stuck with PMnet. Now Mnet is back and PMnet is sinking... who will do down with that ship? I of course would prefer that both are up and running but if PMnet will stay in it's "sinking" mode than a switch to Mnet isn't so crazy.

It might be retarded that people are not willing to switch or whatever - if everyone would simultaneously switch servers there would be no problem.
However, if theres one thing I have learnt in life, it's that people are stupid and retarded. You cant count on the general populus to be smart and make the right choice - for better or for worse the fact stands that people stick to playmyth religously, and rather than trying to fight it and ruin the community, I think that in this case it's better to just ride it and work with it to hold the community together.
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

AblitERateOR wrote:...and rather than trying to fight it and ruin the community, I think that in this case it's better to just ride it and work with it to hold the community together.
Look as things stand right now, there are basically 3 possible options, each with some negatives and some positives. Things MIGHT change in the future as PlayMyth gets back to full functionality but one would be stupid to bet the future on a 'might'. If/When PlayMyth starts allowing new player registration and retrieval of old account passwords for returning players the pros/cons will be slightly different, but I still think option 3 is the sanest most reasonable one whether PM comes back or not.

The options are:

1) Play exclusively on a server that doesn't allow new players or guests.

Pro: It's comfy for people who don't like change. Potential ex-patriate mythers who pop back in looking for a game will find everything where they left it.

Con: If this option is made by enough people this is a slow death sentence for the online myth gaming community, as new players can't play online, and any old Mythers who forgot their playmyth password can't get online either.

2) Play exclusively on a new server that allows new players and guests

Pro: This allows new players and guests to find people to play Myth with, and provides a potentially growing or more slowly shrinking pool of people to play Myth with.

Con: This has the _potential_ of making it difficult for some unknown number of hypothetical ex-myth players to find people to play with when they log onto PlayMyth at some unspecified point in the future and find either no games, or the server dead. It also will allegedly result in a whole bunch of hardcore "dedicated" mythers leaving Myth entirely because they won't switch servers. Reality check? I don't think so. If people love the game so much they will switch servers, if they are too stupid/lazy/motivated/server-religious-zealotlike to switch to a new server to find people to play the game they love so much, I don't think that's really any great loss.

3) Play on BOTH game servers.

Con: It is slightly more difficult to find players (specific and generic) to play Myth with because you have to go back to the main myth screen and switch servers to check both servers, or have a browser window up to keep tabs on mariusnet.

Pro: New players can register and find games and players to play Myth with which will increase the number of people playing Myth online, and increase the likelihood for everyone of finding a game to play. Old players can stay in their comfy safe place on PM. And if lightning strikes in the future and PlayMyth goes down, old players who aren't too stuck in their la-z-boys to press the server button and log onto mariusnet will still have a place to play Myth. Win. Win.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Anthson wrote:It's just a game server, dude.
Then why is it so important to you, to have me sharing your opinion?

My main issue is if Pmnet is shutdown, those people that I know and play with on a regular basis could just disappear. For me it's not just about the game, it's also about the people I know, and that know me.

I was hear when the Mill died, and we lost a hell of allot of people when that happened, even though we could still play Myth. Big changes cause people to leave, as it has always been with the Myth community.

Anthson wrote:It's not Jesus Christ and you're not sitting around looking to the sky waiting for His return at any moment.
This line offends me. Especially as I'm Abskaarian and not Christian.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Horus wrote:This line offends me. Especially as I'm Abskaarian and not Christian.
:D Guess what. I did a search for "Abskaarian" in MSN and only one entry was there... some site/forum that apparently you, Horus, are a member in. It will be one of the top 3 if you google it. So that's where you get some of your concept pictures for stuff.
Anthson

Post by Anthson »

Horus wrote:Then why is it so important to you, to have me sharing your opinion?
It's the community that's important. The game server frankly is a piece of shit. At least for now.
Horus wrote:My main issue is if Pmnet is shutdown, those people that I know and play with on a regular basis could just disappear.
You're afraid of losing your buddies. I'm afraid of the entire Myth movement dying out entirely because it closed its doors to new and returning players. Try to put it in perspective and realize which one is more likely and which one is more important.
Horus wrote:I was hear when the Mill died, and we lost a hell of allot of people when that happened, even though we could still play Myth. Big changes cause people to leave, as it has always been with the Myth community.
Valid point. I lost interest probably right when The Mill went down. However, was The Mill replaced by a viable alternative? As far as I can remember, no, it wasn't. So that at least has to be considered, but I do see your point.
Horus wrote:This line offends me. Especially as I'm Abskaarian and not Christian.
It was an analogy intended to demonstrate what I see as your unwavering, almost religious faith in a simple game server. I have no idea what religion you are, most people probably don't care, and it's irrelevant to the point illustrated, anyway.
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

Anthson wrote:
Horus wrote:My main issue is if Pmnet is shutdown, those people that I know and play with on a regular basis could just disappear.
You're afraid of losing your buddies. I'm afraid of the entire Myth movement dying out entirely because it closed its doors to new and returning players. Try to put it in perspective and realize which one is more likely and which one is more important.
If lots of people lose there buddies then everyone will leave myth and the community WILL be dead.
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
Horus

Post by Horus »

Anthson wrote:It's the community that's important.
Didn't say it wasn't important.

Anthson wrote:You're afraid of losing your buddies. I'm afraid of the entire Myth movement dying out entirely because it closed its doors to new and returning players. Try to put it in perspective and realize which one is more likely and which one is more important.
They are both as important. And currently Mariusnet's doors are still open, and Pmnet is getting fixed so it'll be open too. Quit trying to tell me that I'm saying fuck it to the new players, I'm not.

Anthson wrote:Valid point. I lost interest probably right when The Mill went down. However, was The Mill replaced by a viable alternative? As far as I can remember, no, it wasn't. So that at least has to be considered, but I do see your point.
Options were developed eventually, but it didn't matter to those who left.

Anthson wrote:It was an analogy intended to demonstrate what I see as your unwavering, almost religious faith in a simple game server.
Shrug, so what? I could easily use analogies to demonstrate your attitude as well. First thing that comes to mind "If you don't pray to our Lord and Saviour, you will go to Hell - please let me save you".

Pyro wrote: :D Guess what. I did a search for "Abskaarian" in MSN and only one entry was there... some site/forum that apparently you, Horus, are a member in. It will be one of the top 3 if you google it. So that's where you get some of your concept pictures for stuff.
Search Abskaar and you'll find even more links in reference to, or posted by me. Doesn't make Abskaar any less real than Christianity, Islam, or even Hinduism.
Last edited by Horus on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Anthson wrote: Valid point. I lost interest probably right when The Mill went down. However, was The Mill replaced by a viable alternative? As far as I can remember, no, it wasn't. So that at least has to be considered, but I do see your point.
Which time? ;)

The most recent time it went down there wasn't anything remotely close to a viable replacement for a looooong time. I think at this point the tain and the myth vault and these forums come closest to being similar or better quality replacement(s) for parts of the Mill.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Anthson

Post by Anthson »

AblitERateOR wrote:If lots of people lose there buddies then everyone will leave myth and the community WILL be dead.
Do you really think the ramifications of a smooth transition will be that dire? Again: Three clicks and you're on Marius. It's not hard.
Horus wrote:They are both as important. And currently Mariusnet's doors are still open, and Pmnet is getting fixed so it'll be open too. Quit trying to tell me that I'm saying fuck it to the new players, I'm not.
No, they're not both as important. Your group of friends will eventually fade away. Some will remain longer than others. Most will get replaced by new people and eventually you, too, may find something else to do with your time aside from Myth. The important thing is that it all carries on -- further than you, me, or our buddies. Your friends? Important to you. Beyond that, not so much.

As for PMnet getting fixed, you have no guarantee of that happening any time soon. Look at the delays we've already encountered and give me any good reason why it's not entirely possible things will be delayed even further. You have no idea when or if it will happen. That said, I do think PMnet will get fixed soon. However, how long until it breaks? We all know Blades will not be around after this last fix because he said so, himself. So what happens, then? We're back in the same boat.
Horus wrote:Shrug, so what? I could easily use analogies to demonstrate your attitude as well. First thing that comes to mind "If you don't pray to our Lord and Saviour, you will go to Hell - please let me save you".
The above made zero sense, by the way.

I think you'd be singing an entirely different tune if you lost your PMnet account. Your motivations for wanting to keep PMnet around seem entirely selfish. AblitERateOR, though, seems at least to have a strong concern for the continuity of the community at large, even if I feel his conclusions were arrived at irresponsibly via emotional bias.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Anthson wrote:I lost interest probably right when The Mill went down.
I'm using this quote as my reply to your latest post.

Some of us have never left.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Horus wrote:Shrug, so what? I could easily use analogies to demonstrate your attitude as well. First thing that comes to mind "If you don't pray to our Lord and Saviour, you will go to Hell - please let me save you".
Uhm. Im pretty sure he said nothing like that, or suggested anything like that. Suggesting as much is what I would call "out of line" and something of a personal attack. But I guess that's neither here nor there.

More waiting game for the servers I guess.

-DA