Community shrinkage

Talk about anything here.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Another way to know if there are any people on Mnet without loading Myth or Myth Chat is checking the Mnet site's player list:

http://www.mariusnet.com/players.php4

People make PMnet sound bad, but the thing is the people who normally post here are the ones willing to do the switch. The people that don't normally visit or post here are the stubborn ones. I'm sure they would switch if their PMnet account(s) weren't working. If enough people go to Mnet they might follow... those sheep! There is a lot of ignorance in the community which doesn't help. We should do some sort of game night on Mnet. At least players that can't get on PMnet will have a chance to have some fun. It worked out great last time it was done. Like 47 or so people showed up on Mnet that night.
Dio

Post by Dio »

What I found as a major problem recently;
I have always been known to spread the "Myth Seed" per say. I have passed this game onto 2 family members (nephew and father-in-law) and most recently (past few weeks) to a few of my son's friends (13-14 years old).
My nephew was told he wasn't allowed to play anymore due to my sister seeing ppl talking about raping each other...Cursing and the constant talking shit. I convinced them that is just a select few. When he tried it again for a while...nobody was willing to help him or give him a break..units were take'n from him during play cause he was kinda lost at what to do. I don't give care who you are..anytime you start something new..you have to get used to the controls, your not as fast at working the bridge. I taught him the basics and played some games with him so he could get used to it...but in the end when he logged in without me...he was screwed and got nothing but attitude for not having a perfect trade or knowing a brilliant strategy. He is lost now and plays other games that are more friendly to noobs and that are willing to lend a helping hand.

My son has also met the same problems..so I refuse to get him a playmyth account..he has a marius account and that is (IMO only) where I tend to find more forgiving and patient players. I could careless who talks trash to me or who boots me..I am too old to deal with that drama. I just play and once in a while have a great set of games with old friends or with some new ppl who just found the game or are coming back after years. It is these now rare sets of great games is the reason I still play in the community.

As for my son's friends...well..I am still working with them when I have time. So they don't get ruined I told them to only get marius accounts for now, then they could move to playmyth when I teach them the basics like melting wights.

This game even as old as it is...is very detailed and it scares some ppl on how much you need to learn to be an average player..hell I will always be below average. I just learned 1.5 years ago how to GC! Why is this crap such a damn secret? If I was the best...I would want eveyone to know how I do it..so I have some serious competition...but that is me.
To sum up my post that is too long...it is the rude players that are not willing to help the noobs that are killing the community IMO.
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress".
- Joseph Joubert

Post by Avatara »

People won't move to Marius.net because they are dumb/lazy/stubborn and a bunch of sheep. At the moment it's clearly a better alternative. It has all features(except favorite maps, but nobody uses it anyway) from pm.net and more. The ranking system is better (harder to h00r points), theres coop ranking, time when a coop map started, more space for order members, guest logins, eliza, etc. And of course, it has better rooms :) .

Also, most of the ranked community has a really bad attitude, as Dio already said. They are unwilling to help new players and just want to keep playing the same maps/gametypes/people forever.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Well one of the reasons against switching over to Marius is that people returning to myth who played on playmyth before will see an empty playmyth and say to themselves 'oh myth's dead'. This of course would not the case for everyone who came back. But considering the average mythers laziness in bothering to get a Marius account or find maps themselves, it would hurt.

What I'd like to see (but it will never happen), is Blades to say 'Sorry but I don't have the time for this anymore' etc etc. And for him to send a mass email to everyone who ever made a playmyth account reminding them about Marius being there. This would certainly grab a lot of old school players attention and it would be a good way for Blades to sign off. However he's refused to mass email in the past and I doubt he'll change his mind.

p.s. Hey Dio, didn't I teach you how to archer one day? I'm usually fine with teaching people stuff as long as they don't curse at me every 5 seconds. Unfortunately the most recent batch of new players seem ruder than those before them.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Anthson

Post by Anthson »

Dio wrote:hell I will always be below average. I just learned 1.5 years ago how to GC! Why is this crap such a damn secret?
Just learned how to what?
Dio

Post by Dio »

Baron LeDant wrote:
Hey Dio, didn't I teach you how to archer one day?

If this is Danteski (login dante peak, if I remember)? then yes..aside from early MWC07 (shaking off rust), I am pretty good at arch'n still. I was and still am very thankful for pointers you gave me.

Anthson wrote:
Just learned how to what?
GC is gesture clicking. From what I understand it has been around since early TFL days. The reason I never won a melee fight and the fact I am color blind :) A myther named Blizzard (don't know who this is) Took over an hour showing me how to do it. I used to just click on an enemy and watch..now I gesture click and try real hard to micro click. I learned all this stuff within the past 1.5 years and I have been playing since 99.

Now I just need to learn how to use ghols, trow, melee, dorfs, locks and how to win games :-P

I'm not going into my cave this year between MWC. I plan on being active the full year.
- Joseph Joubert
Anthson

Post by Anthson »

Is it that complicated that it needs an hour to be displayed correctly? Where is this Blizzard and can I take me some lessons? I have sent a mob of melee dudes at another mob of dudes before and come out way behind going "WTF?" because I had more units than my opponent did.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

I dont even know if a mass email is necessary (though undoubtedly very very effective). Playmyth could stand to have links to other myth community sites, in particular MNet, so we wouldn't lose people thinking pmnet is dead. But I have been assured doing so is much to time consuming. Frum Game on Mnet tonight though!

-DA
Dio

Post by Dio »

I would be happy to show you Anthson..it is kinda behind now though..there are guys that blow my mind with the way they set up their melee units. They will have most of their melee preset with 1 number..then preset like a few with another number using shift click attack..I don't have the typing fingers to do that. GC just brought me up to slight average play. Some would think it is great, while others would seem it old and worthless.
It doesn't take that long..I am just a perfectionist.

cya tonight..damn 11:30pm :( ::yawn::
- Joseph Joubert
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

The problem with people being rude to noobs is another reason for a switch to mariusnet. They make you agree not to be rude threting or mean when you register.
Anthson

Post by Anthson »

If everyone from playmyth migrates over to Marius, that problem will still exist. No one's gonna have a change in heart/attitude just because they play in a place with a different name.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Right, but the Mnet administration is a touch more involved, or at the very least more willing to figure things out a bit better.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

the administration is, but PPE can't monitor the community. If a mass migration were ever to happen, there would need to be MNA's appointed and clear & transparent rules for what's allowed & what isn't + what the penalties are.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

Other than getting MNAs, all of that has been done. All that needs to happen, is that MNAs need to be appointed.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Doobs has already been appointed as an MNA, but that is a pretty trivial step. The one that we are having trouble with is the one that matters.

-DA