What's left for Myth?

Talk about anything here.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Wouldn't it be nice to have a way to distinguish which of your ghols are carrying something without having to click each one? Maybe even a way to distinguish what they're carrying? I know when I'm trying to handle a lot of ghols I quickly lose track of who's got what.
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Khadrelt wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to have a way to distinguish which of your ghols are carrying something without having to click each one? Maybe even a way to distinguish what they're carrying? I know when I'm trying to handle a lot of ghols I quickly lose track of who's got what.
you should check out the "Über Ghôl Riot Anywhere", it does exactly that - besides turning ANY map into a ghol riot map complete with randomly dispersed projectiles for the ghols to throw - when your ghol is selected it shows in the top bar what each ghol is holding. If you select a bunch it tells you how many ghols are carrying what kind of projectile. The plugin itself is ghol riot ^ 10th - More things to pick up and throw then you've ever seen - mortars, pus packets, satchels, cleavers, flaming arrows, stoning pumpkins, exploding dorf heads, exploding pickles, healing melons...

This is a VERY fun plugin. If you like ghol riot maps, you should give this one a try.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

That's a really fun plugin, all right. It's nice to be able to see what the Ghol is carrying - but what I'm talking about is having some way to see which Ghols are carrying something out of a crowd of Ghols - without having to select them. Maybe just something like a Diablo II Paladin-style aura, something smaller and less intrusive though, that your team can see but the enemy can't. I don't know what would work best.
The cake is a lie.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

There is a possible way for you to know and not the enemy, it would require it to be made as a plugin of course. We all know that some units with mana have their mana bars hidden from the enemies but not allies. Well, what if the mana did not regenerate and did nothing but was used for identifying projectiles. The objects most standard Ghols use are pus packets and satchel charges. We can make it so if a ghol picks up a pus packet it would be given full mana while a ghol with a sat will have half mana. This way you can see what ghol has what. The mana would be removed/used once the ghol threw what it had. If some of you are wondering how the mana will appear on the ghol after picking up the object without any type of scripting... simple, give the ghol a special attack that regenerates a specific amount of mana depending on what artifact it is using. By artifact I mean the pus packet or satchel charge. That way it incorporates what that Ghol Riot plug does of having unique status icons for each type of projectile and does what Khadrelt said about showing the player/allies what that ghol has without the enemy knowing too or having to select it.
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

why dont you just name your units like the rest of us :o
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Or you can use presets for each type of ghol item
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Orlando the Axe wrote:why dont you just name your units like the rest of us :o
Name them! I never thought of that. I do use two different presets to distinguish, tho.

Heh, sometimes (too often!) I'll pick up bottles and pus and head out, only to realize I haven't made the presets yet and I don't know which is which! Nooooooo! Chaaaaarrrge! Aieeeeee!

BTW, Über Ghôl Riot Anywhere ~ v1.4g that vr mentioned above is definitely awesome. That's a link to the page containing that plugin and other great OøH plugs.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

when renaming, use different names than "PUSS" or "MORTAR"

its funny to see ghols rushing you with those names, you know what to expect.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Occasionally I name the ghol with pus 'mort' and the one with mort 'pus', since I know I never check enemy ghol names during games, I doubt it matters
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

The problem with naming is you still have to click on the Ghol to see if it's carrying anything. I was talking about a system to distinguish carriers from non-carriers without having to have them selected.
The cake is a lie.
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

well you have to click on a dwarf to see if he has satchels, arc to see if he has flame arrows etc. I wouldn't want all my archers to have little flame symbols over their head or something, I think the current system is fine. You have to select a ghol inorder to tell it to attack anyway. Setting up a preset is faster than clicking, you can rename your units, or you can just remember where you put them (left ghols has pus, right has bottle etc.). So you really have three options there. Seeing what they have in the status bar might be cool but you would have to make icons for everything.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Well the reason why clicking on a dwarf or a bowman to see if they have sats or flame arrows is not the same as ghols and projectiles is that dwarves and bowmen only carry one type of ammo while ghols can pick. But yea the current system is fine, how many times does a player have a pack of ghols to worry about? Not many.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Well...I'm working on a map right now where you do :wink: . Nothing like Uber Ghol Riot, but still there are a lot of ghols.
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:Well the reason why clicking on a dwarf or a bowman to see if they have sats or flame arrows is not the same as ghols and projectiles is that dwarves and bowmen only carry one type of ammo while ghols can pick. But yea the current system is fine, how many times does a player have a pack of ghols to worry about? Not many.
I like the manna idea, that's a very creative solution - especially if it works independantly of maps/scripting as a standalone plugin.

Having an image hover over a unit or having a halo would to me be a bit intrusive - takes me out of the 256 color semi-3D immersive experience to see status bars, or floating icons around the characters - turns the game into something more like a 3D zelda like game.

Maybe something less intrusive is needed....Got it! How about changing which side of the ghol's head it's hair is parted to indicate which kind of ammo it's carrying?

[insert appropriate emoticon here]
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

vinylrake wrote: [insert appropriate emoticon here]

or