I'm completely new, nee help

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
tmaly

I'm completely new, nee help

Post by tmaly »

i have had myth and myth II for as long i can remember, but i have no knowledge of anything regarding multiplayer, fear and loathing, mapmaking, and etc. I want to play multiplayer, and i want to put new levels and stuff on my myth games.
Here's a little problem i have, i downloaded 1.6 something for soulblighter, and if i wanted to download one of the maps or levels or something from thetain.net how would i do it.
like for instance i downloaded dwarf tremor cannons, but i dont know how to get it on my game, any help for any of that stuff would help a ton.
all i know is that it has to do with plugins, and tabs
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Alright one at a time.

To play multiplayer you need an account at Mariusnet (www.mariusnet.com) or playmyth (the more popular server, although there is no account creation at this time). This is very simple and easy to set-up.

Now as to getting your new downloaded mods working.

First you'll probably have to unzip it (winrar or stuffit works for most myth stuff) and then place the plugin file in your 'plugins' folder in your myth install (note if you're on a server and you download something, you'll need to restart myth first).

Load up myth and hit host and then click on the plugins button (center middle top if I remember correctly). You should then be presented with a list of plugins you've downloaded, you need to select it so the plugin you want to use is in the right hand box, when it is, hit ok (might need to have shift held down when hitting ok).
If the plug has new maps, then you might need to hold shift down when hitting the check next to 'single player levels' in order for the map to appear.

Then you select the map (if you're using a tagset plugin, denoted by a triangle, you'll be using different units rather than new maps***) and select you options and have fun!

*** you can combine many plugin tagsets with plugin maps, not all work together though
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
tmaly

Post by tmaly »

ok, thanks a ton, i'm already in the process of getting a mariusnetaccount, and i dont know what to do with the file once i get into winrar
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

tmaly wrote:ok, thanks a ton, i'm already in the process of getting a mariusnetaccount, and i dont know what to do with the file once i get into winrar
expand it or unstuff it or decompress it (there will be a button or menu option under 'File' that should look similar.

Save the uncompressed/unzipped file wherever you want (remember where) then copy that file into your Myth II/plugins folder

Some plugins/maps you download will be just a single plugin or map file which you need to put in your Myth II/plugins folder before you can use the map or plugin.

Some plugins/maps you download will decompress to a folder containing more than one file - often there will the map/plugin file itself and a readme file or a webpage(s) describing the map. You just need to move the file that is the plugin/map into your Myth II/plugins folder.

MOST plugins fall into the 'unit replacement' category - i.e. when you activate the plugin (as described previously) before starting a game, the plugin will replace one or more standard Bungie units with either some other standard Bungie unit (ex. The "I wish I had more dorfs" plugin converts all the standard Bungie units to Dwarves!") or converts standard Bungie Myth II units to some non-standard Myth II unit (ex. the FlareDorfs plugin converts any dwarves on the map you are playing to FlareDorfs). If you have this kind of plugin in your plugin folder and you activated it before starting your game the units will be replaced. Other plugins change different aspects of gameplay or what netgame balls (Steal the Bacon balls for ex) look like or how they act, or they change some other aspect of gameplay.

If you want to use flaredorfs on a map that doesn't already use dwarves you are out of luck. The only way around this would be to dissassemble the map (using a tool like unTag) and add some dwarves to the map yourself (using Fear) then rebuild the map and have fun playing on your customized map.

http://www.mything.org/index.php?a=arti ... 0000000148
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.