Play-myth and FlyingFlip are CLOSED.

Talk about anything here.
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

You are right vinylrake, common courtesy does dictate respect, both ways. Unfortunately if you go around expecting common courtesy on the internet, especially on a game server, and especially if some people feel you aren't respecting them back, you are going to be sorely disappointed. Check out the WoW forums or sign on to Bungie.net for Halo and you will see what I mean... Free games are even worse (see maple story, gunbound, etc.). I'm not saying that it's right, I'm saying that he should have known what he was getting himself into (Bungie.net had much worse behavior than PlayMyth.net) and shouldn't have expected a ton of gratitude, or even common courtesy unless he wanted to be disappointed.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Amadeus wrote: No, thats actually actively hating Doobie, and for good reason.
Ama, Blades could have done us all a favor by telling us his intentions; by linking to an alternative; by not promising things he couldn't deliver and leaving us hanging for many months. I see no respect given to any of us who never crossed him. As for "hating doobie, and for good reason...," is that a "good reason" to shit on the rest of us, as you put it? Because that is what he did. He dissed us all in the end.

We owed him respect, as vr said, and many of us gave it to him. Where's the respect in return? I don't "owe" anyone respect after he shits all over me because he has a "good reason" for "hating Doobie." That is childish. I think he took a few petty dislikes and transferred them to all of us -- and most of us aren't the people who crossed him. That's disrespecting hundreds of people. I am not thanking him for that. I'm not thanking him for squat anymore (and I have in the past, personally).

Ama, do you think he handled this very well, as far as the rest of the community is concerned? I'd say he did as much damage to the community at the end as he possibly could. And I'm pissed.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Enough talking about Blades, its getting boring. When he was around he was a walking Myth headline, and he's still getting all the attention now he's gone.

Personally I'd much rather read about positive new stuff - new tournies, new maps, v1.7 of Myth 2, PRing Myth & getting new ppl into the game (as now we actually _can_ get new ppl into the game!).
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

iron wrote:Enough talking about Blades...Personally I'd much rather read about positive new stuff
Boy, did you come to the wrong thread, then!
:roll: :D
Perenold

Post by Perenold »

I thought the news about Blades was the positive new stuff...
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Hehe yes it was, but all the crap about whether or not he should be respected & thanked, or whether he acted nicely or not - who really cares? I don't :)
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

New topic!

How much do we hate Iron after breaking one massive pathfinding bug in 1.7? (after he fixes 50 far more significant others?)
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Hmm ... but if I break a bug, surely thats the same as fixing it?
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Frumius wrote:
Amadeus wrote: No, thats actually actively hating Doobie, and for good reason.
Ama, Blades could have done us all a favor by telling us his intentions; by linking to an alternative; by not promising things he couldn't deliver and leaving us hanging for many months. I see no respect given to any of us who never crossed him.
I mean all this as less confrontational as possible. I realize on the internet things are easy to take the wrong way and I have a flair for typing in flame.

Obviously it could have been handled better, but I don't think he intended anything wrong. If he had intended to do the community harm, I can think of much better ways to do it. Then again, I suppose you know him better than I.

In the end though, I don't see how he owes you or the community anything. As you say yourself - it would have been a favor. To be mad over a favor not given is what would be childish. Especially a favor for a community that is such a cesspool as this one.

I'm not saying that everyone in the community is an asshole, but everyone in the community should take some responsibility for their neighbors imo.

Do I think he should have posted the mariusnet link? Maybe, maybe not.
Do I think you or the community deserves or is owed a link? No, that would be crazy.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

I suppose respect given is always a favor; you never have to give respect to anyone.

However, I expected to be respected.

But no, I wouldn't say I knew him. I just thanked him a couple times and we exchanged pm's. Seemed like a perfectly normal and friendly guy, but then, I was giving him respect.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Amadeus wrote:In the end though, I don't see how he owes you or the community anything. As you say yourself - it would have been a favor. To be mad over a favor not given is what would be childish. Especially a favor for a community that is such a cesspool as this one.
He provided a community with a service. A service they depended on.

So sure he never owed anyone anything, but he did a crummy job as a service provider for a bit there.

Im with iron though. Let's move on shall we?

-DA
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

Death's Avatar wrote: Let's move on shall we?
MLB PLAYOFFS TODAY WOOOOOOO. GO ANGELS!
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Orlando the Axe wrote:
Death's Avatar wrote: Let's move on shall we?
MLB PLAYOFFS TODAY WOOOOOOO. GO ANGELS!
Nifty shirts on the banner in your sig, that your site?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I am not in the habit of or interested in making _excuses_ for Blades' behaviour. That said, I think it's worth noting the difference between personal interactions vs. community interactions. There have been a lot of complaints here about how Blades disrespected the community and several posts from people who had civil exchanges with him on a one-on-one level.

To add to that, I had a few brief communications with Blades over the years, I never felt like I was ever _personally_ disrespected by Blades.

I did feel very let down by the way the 'return' of PlayMyth was talked about for months, then was left hanging then finally just cancelled. _I_ personally was not one of the people who have attacked him over the years, but I am part of a community that regularly heaped abuse on him and whined and bitched at him for seemingly minor issues (or random phases of the moon) so I can understand why he might not have any particular affection for the "Myth Community". It is not of course _accurate_ or fair to lump the rest of the community (me included) with those people who acted like aholes to Blades, but I can acknowledge that the community I am part of includes some people who have and do act like aholes. So, given how the community has frequently treated Blades, I can understand some animosity on his part towards that community.

It is also not too difficult for me to seperate how Blades treated individuals who treated him with respect vs. how he sometimes treated the community at large - which by and large did not treat him with respect. It's human nature to treat people better who respect you than you treat people who treat you badly, so it's not suprising to me that he would have better interactions with some individuals than with the community at large.

I am happy to let this thread die, just thought it worth pointing out a difference between how individuals were treated vs how the community was treated. It kind of fits my general outlook on humans. In general I kind of think humans suck - by and large, in generalizations - get enough of us together and we are incredibly stupid and annoying. I get along well with most humans one-on-one and even like a fair number of them, but as a group I really dislike us humans a lot.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

I think you put that very well. Nice job.