Scripting limits

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
rabican

Scripting limits

Post by rabican »

Okay i had this kind of problem :

I had acli that randomly sends waves of enemies selecting from 8-10 different waves each consisting of some 200 monsters . if less than 50 of them are alive it sends another wave etc untill all are done.

problem is that i think linked too many monsters to the test unit action and it just ends up doing nothing . same script works fine if i split it in 2 halves.

is there a hidden limit to how many actions can be triggered by acli or is there limit for how many monsters can tuni test? or something !

can't provide example of the script as i am using library computer.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

I've never hit too many actions on an acli. In Grave Tidings I had single action lists activating a couple dozen timed waves, maybe more. I do think there's a limit on monsters in a TUNI though--I've used over a hundred, so I'd guess it's 128.

Are there really 200 monsters all appearing and attacking at once? I feel sorry for the players--or maybe each wave consists of multiple sub-waves that attack at slightly different times? In that case, you could make a smaller test that uses monsters from the last half of the sub-waves, assuming that by the time the player fights them most of the earlier monsters will already be dead.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

A-Red wrote:I do think there's a limit on monsters in a TUNI though--I've used over a hundred, so I'd guess it's 128.
Yeah, the limit is 128 monsters, my Loathing even crashed when I tried to use more than 128 monsters in TUNI (using custom subj, monster_identifier). Don't know how it is when you're just using link, but I think it won't work, your Loathing won't crash though :wink:
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

I believe you can link to more than 128 units in a TUNI (that is, use a Link rather than a subj), provided that fewer than 128 of the units you link to are actually visible at any given time.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Well, to be clear, I always use Link instead of subj in TUNI, but I had used subj once and noticed what I wrote.