http://myth4thewindage.com HAS GONE LIVE!

Talk about anything here.
Point

get real for a second...

Post by Point »

what if a real myth 4 comes out some day ....
with a new game engine killer specs and
a story that makes us all dive into the
carnage

Take 2 presents or bungie
presents or whatever MYTH 4 The Golden Age

get it...

then this is a hicup or ateric on the page...

a stack of reasons why it shouldnt be called myth 4
and I cant think of any fully beneficial reasons to call it that...

The wind age is a great title stick with that until if ever its bought and
made commercial anything else is a prideful tease that could hurt the community and that is souring what should be a great project...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

DRAMA-B-GON(tm)
Last edited by oogaBooga on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Heyas!

It's been a very long time since I posted anything on these forums, though I do lurk once in a while. I was pretty tempted to add my contributions as Blades was being burned in effigy when Mnet finally replaced PMnet (man, what took so long!) but found I couldn't find the right words to properly eulogize and reflect on the past community participation of the guy without sounding like a spittle-sputtering, red-faced, vein-bulging madman. So I just skipped it.

Anyway, hi everyone! :D

Good to see the gang hasn't lost any of it's old vigor. :wink:

Ooga & Ren, I want to wish you guys the best of luck with this project! Knowing how talented ooga alone is, I'm sure it will be phenomenal. I only hope that it doesn't slowly get killed off by the vaporware beast that has claimed the very best, so often.

I haven't read carefully enough to know the current status of things, but here's some friendly advice: Don't name it Myth 4. Retract that you ever even thought about doing so. And not because of any legal ramifications; you'd probably have to take out full page ads and have featured reviews in "Computer Gamer" before word somehow got back to T2.

Put it this way, if the entire TFL/M2 dev team reunited, got a 30 million dollar budget, and made a Myth 4 that was beyond perfect in every conceivable manner, at least 50% of the Myth community would rip it apart, spit on it and stamp their feet about how it could have been done right if only they were in charge. The other half of the community would rise in passionate, perhaps obsessive, defense, and well, you know the rest.

You know I'm right too. So why subject yourself to this or worse when there's so many other things you can call it? More to the point, why subject your beloved project to this kind of controversy and abuse? There're other ways to create hype.

You know, for a year now I've let sit a modified version of Mazz 6. It has the key ingredient which has made each successive Mazz better than the last, and that's the permutations of how and when the waves of monsters attack. I think few people realize it's the pacing of Mazz that makes it fun, and the new version I have is pretty amazing. It doesn't break the 400 unit rule, of course, but you'd bet it does if you played it.

It also has a few dozen other nice touches like expanded levelling, new attacks, balance tweaks and bug fixes. Overall, it's way better than Mazz 6. But I'll never release it, even if I were playing steadily again. Mazz 6 and a half? How lame does that sound? Mazz 7? The expectations would be way too high. It'd need things like new units, a new map, new music, new engine features, etc... and I don't have the time, energy or inclination to attempt to round up a team to do those kinds of things again. Still, the Mazz series is way too dear and personal to me to ever do anything half-assed with it. I'd just hate to disappoint the majority of Mazz fans.

The point is, without every advantage at your disposal (and in your case, this would involve a liscense and at least a million dollars) you only set up a scenerio where people will be disappointed with the end result, even if it's very good. You only need read how heated the reactions of normally cool and wise folks like Vinyl and PPE to know that the expectations behind a Myth 4 on a new engine are so sacred that you should have performed some sort of shamanistic rituals before even broaching the subject.

That said, good luck once again! Blowing people away when they're not expecting it is how you get a following. I'll be checking in once in a while to see how the progress is going.
pompey

Post by pompey »

Okay, I'll try to keep this on topic, but mostly I'm excited to see CP voicing his opinion. I see the word "Mazz" and my vision goes blurry.

Chris, It seems that in your post you're encouraging Ren et al to break the mold and produce something epic, which is great. You also specify that essentially no matter what they do, they're going to meet with resistance. That seems to suggest that while the Project (I'd rather not call it Myth 4, nor Phfor, nor "your little plugin") is certainly generating some opposition, it has merit. Personally, I'm very excited to see what kind of Covenant co-op is in the works, let alone the other expansive possibilities.

So with regard to your own baby as it were, Mazz, I'd hope that you would be interested in perfecting the project precisely because you want the best map put forth. I don't think there's any shame in versioning, even if it was an extremely minor oversight that caused a version 2 of Mazz 6 to be released. Magma has absolutely no reason to be ashamed of their products, and every reason to be loudly praised, yet they're on fourth major revision since the source was entrusted to them. Does that mean they "half-assed" 1.5 so 1.5.1 needed to be released?

Of course, I have powerful personal interest in asking for your "Mazz 6 v3" to reach the public since I enjoy the co-op so much. I can promise that if you want to release the updated version to me and mine, I would vow not to subject anyone in the community at large to it ;)

Back to the Project. I'm actually very excited to see what Ren's team puts together, regardless of its final title. Most major releases go through a variety of codenames before going gold, so we'll see. I'm not an old member of the community (although I have been playing since TFL's release), so I'll stay out of the politics.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

ChrisP wrote:Heyas! Anyway, hi everyone! :D
Hey ChrisP, welcome "back"!
ChrisP wrote:Put it this way, if the entire TFL/M2 dev team reunited, got a 30 million dollar budget, and made a Myth 4 that was beyond perfect in every conceivable manner, at least 50% of the Myth community would rip it apart, spit on it and stamp their feet about how it could have been done right if only they were in charge. The other half of the community would rise in passionate, perhaps obsessive, defense, and well, you know the rest.
Well said. It's like back in the day when record companies tried to generate interest in some new band by saying they were like the Beatles - there's much power in a name, but using a well-loved name often inflames - and unless your sole goal is to get publicity, using a well-loved name is going to create a negative, sometimes even hostile, response - even when the product is REALLY REALLY good.
ChrisP wrote:It also has a few dozen other nice touches like expanded levelling, new attacks, balance tweaks and bug fixes. Overall, it's way better than Mazz 6. But I'll never release it, even if I were playing steadily again. Mazz 6 and a half? How lame does that sound? Mazz 7? The expectations would be way too high. It'd need things like new units, a new map, new music, new engine features, etc... and I don't have the time, energy or inclination to attempt to round up a team to do those kinds of things again. Still, the Mazz series is way too dear and personal to me to ever do anything half-assed with it. I'd just hate to disappoint the majority of Mazz fans.
Hmmm.... so right now this is Mazz 6 with some tweaking, tuning and a *few* new features? Rather than Mazz 6.5 or Mazz 7 (which I agree raises the bar of expectations too far) why not release it with a title something like "Mazz 6: The Director's Cut"? That seems like a reasonable description of what it is - Mazz 6 'remixed'/'recut' with some additional 'footage'/features(eg.attacks) - and doesn't raise expectations too high in the Mazz fan community. From the name everyone will know that's it's Mazz 6 with _some_ new stuff, but no one would be expecting a completely new Mazz with a title like that.

Just a thought.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

DRAMA-B-GON(tm)
Last edited by oogaBooga on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Screw this new Myth, Chris just release this modified Mazz. Personally I don't care how different it is. It doesn't need to be a gigantic update, I just wanna get the ole group together and play it again.

Oh, and call it 'Mazz 6: Reborn'
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

DRAMA-B-GON(tm)
Last edited by oogaBooga on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

I like the whole idea of your project, I don't really give a damn whether you call it myth 4 or myth: beyond the soulblighter (in a Civ 4: BTS rip) or monkey men blow zombies into chewable chunks.

However I don't really like how every 4-5 times I logon there's a different version of our farewell to download. Even after that the games often suck because of a certain idiot (who for some reason people like), joining most of the time.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

Baron LeDant wrote:I like the whole idea of your project, I don't really give a damn whether you call it myth 4 or myth: beyond the soulblighter (in a Civ 4: BTS rip) or monkey men blow zombies into chewable chunks.

However I don't really like how every 4-5 times I logon there's a different version of our farewell to download. Even after that the games often suck because of a certain idiot (who for some reason people like), joining most of the time.
You dare slander me!? Pistols at dawn sir.
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

It's not you.

However your challenge is accepted
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Baron LeDant wrote: the games often suck because of a certain idiot (who for some reason people like), joining most of the time.
Must we all turn grey wondering whether we're the guy you mean!?

Spill it, Dant!
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

A gentleman never divulges names.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

Baron LeDant wrote:A gentleman never divulges names.
I guess it's a game of 20 questions then. I'll start. Is this person's color blue?
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
ozone

Post by ozone »

Baron LeDant wrote:A gentleman never divulges names.
but he can call them idiots? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Stop hiding behind your skirt and spit out the name.

:wink:
do it.