Plugin Issue !!!! HELP!!!

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Addode

Plugin Issue !!!! HELP!!!

Post by Addode »

Hello everyone, first time poster, long time searcher
Getting to the point, I Built a plugin and i want to send it to my friend so we can play lan or w/e
Problem is THE PLUGIN DOESNT SHOW UP IN THE PLUGINS FOLDER
i know that the plugin was built, because when i open myth and add a plugin its in the list among the others.
Once again it is not in the plugins folder like the rest of mine

Any help is greatly appreciated
.....Gamer Tec.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

What operating system are you using?

If I'm understanding you right, the plugin DOES show up in Myth, just not in your actual plugins folder, right? You may have somehow accidentally made the file invisible.
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Re: Plugin Issue !!!! HELP!!!

Post by vinylrake »

Addode wrote:Hello everyone, first time poster, long time searcher
Getting to the point, I Built a plugin and i want to send it to my friend so we can play lan or w/e
Problem is THE PLUGIN DOESNT SHOW UP IN THE PLUGINS FOLDER
i know that the plugin was built, because when i open myth and add a plugin its in the list among the others.
Once again it is not in the plugins folder like the rest of mine

Any help is greatly appreciated
Make sure in Fear you checked the "Is Complete" checkbox.

Also, did you specifically 'build' the plugin from Fear? If you didn't, all your work is in your LOCAL folder so you will see it in YOUR plugin list but it won't appear in your plugins FOLDER until you actually build it in Fear.

There's a really good tutorial by Cydonian you can read here.

Here's an excerpt from the section on testing/sharing a plugin/map; You should probably read the sections in the tutorial that come after this, they cover topics like overhead maps, pregame pictures, and giving your plugin a name that will show up in the plugin selection window.

Code: Select all

V. Testing and Playing Your Mesh

Do the following before making the plug-in:

When you have a mesh with all its image maps imported and some units placed, it's time to open Fear. With Fear running, open its "meshes" folder. Inside, you should find the name of your mesh somewhere in the list. Double- click its name to open your mesh tag. Down on the lower left is a box that says "is complete". Check this. If it's a single-player map, check that box. If it's a netmap, check "body count" under 'game scoring types'. Unless you've placed the flags and balls for other game types, leave them unchecked. Make sure that the 'team count' (number of starting locations) is correct. You don't need an overhead map or pregame picture yet, since you're doing a basic test here. We just want to see if your mesh loads and works. Click the 'ok' button and Fear will save any changes to your mesh tag.

To build a plug-in, select "build plug-in" from the main menu in Fear. Name it. Ignore the URL box. Below is a list of all the stuff in your local folder. If there's more there than the stuff for the mesh you're making the plug- in for, you have to check only the boxes for the tags that apply. If your mesh is named "Blood Swamp", your plug-in should at least have tags for 256.Blood Swamp and mesh.Blood Swamp. These are your image map collection and mesh tag. If you've made them already, the reference tags for your overhead, pregame, and any string list will also be there, and should go into the plug-in. Check the boxes for all the tags that apply, and click the ok. Fear builds a plug-in right into your plug-ins folder.

Start up Myth2. If your map is a single-player job, click "new game" while holding the shift key. It should appear in the list. If it's a netmap, you have options. You can try it in an unranked room on Bungie.net if you're testing with a friend. To test it by yourself, all you need to do is "host" a game with the TCP/IP or Appletalk multiplayer option. You don't actually have to be connected to the internet. No one else is playing anyway. In your game options screen, your map should appear in the list. Body Count will be the only game option, unless you set it up for other game types already. Start the game. Myth2 will probably say that it's loading " ", instead of "Blood Swamp". You can fix that later by making a new string list tag. Unless you've made your overhead map already, the game should load up with an error message "overhead map preprocessing failed" but be otherwise normal. Now you can play body count, except that there's nobody to fight. Run around the map and see how it works. You may find glitches in passability that you'll want to fix, or other areas you'll wish to improve. You can keep making changes and testing until you're satisfied. Build a new plug-in for each new version, and delete the old one, or at least move it from the plug-ins folder.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Addode

Post by Addode »

Yes, ive been there and done that tutorial....no luck
I'm Running Vista Home Premium if that helps...
Yes i checked to see if im veiwing hidden files, i am.
Could The build plugin window have possibly crashed when i clicked okay and looked like it was just closing normally?
.....Gamer Tec.
Addode

Post by Addode »

This is still not working, i really need some help people :D
.....Gamer Tec.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Addode wrote:Could The build plugin window have possibly crashed when i clicked okay and looked like it was just closing normally?
If the plugin build crashed I don't think the plugin would work at all.

Sorry, I'm kind of at a loss here. The only thing I can think of is that you're looking in the wrong plugins folder??? Long shot maybe, but you're looking in the 'plugins' folder in your Myth II folder, right, not the 'tags' folder or maybe a plugins folder in a TFL or Myth III install you might have?

Sorry, not much help, I know, but this is a bizarre problem...never heard of it happening before.

Try making sure your local folder is empty and then going into Fear, changing some random tag and then building another plugin to see if THAT one shows up in your plugins folder...name it AAATEST or something to make sure it's easy to find.
The cake is a lie.
Addode

Post by Addode »

Khadrelt wrote:
Addode wrote:Could The build plugin window have possibly crashed when i clicked okay and looked like it was just closing normally?
If the plugin build crashed I don't think the plugin would work at all.

Sorry, I'm kind of at a loss here. The only thing I can think of is that you're looking in the wrong plugins folder??? Long shot maybe, but you're looking in the 'plugins' folder in your Myth II folder, right, not the 'tags' folder or maybe a plugins folder in a TFL or Myth III install you might have?

Sorry, not much help, I know, but this is a bizarre problem...never heard of it happening before.

Try making sure your local folder is empty and then going into Fear, changing some random tag and then building another plugin to see if THAT one shows up in your plugins folder...name it AAATEST or something to make sure it's easy to find.

Thanks a ton, but what your suggesting didnt do a thing.
I SOLVED THE PROBLEM THOUGH XD
This Will definatly help any vista users creating plugins

I went to the myth 2 plugins folder
Saw all my downloaded plugins and whatnot
Then i saw this weird button up top thats bearly noticable, it titled "show compatibilty files"
I have no idea what that is, but i clciked it anyway, and viola my pugins appeared, but my downloaded ones hid.
Weird but YAY it works xD
.....Gamer Tec.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Glad you fixed it.

I don't use Vista so I have no idea what that button is or does...sounds weird.
The cake is a lie.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

I'm still not on terms with Vista, I have it on my laptop that I used/and now use (even got a couple of games played when I found a decent mouse) but there are some obvious problems you'll encounter with different User permissions in Vista. For the longest time the stuff I downloaded didn't appear anywhere on the computer, because somehow my user, one of two (and the first one created) did not have writing permissions to most of the folders on the computer so the stuff I tried to put there got carted into some black hole somewhere.

I solved this by first downloading everything to my desktop and then extracting from there, but recently found that I could set permissions for every folder at once by allowing my user full administrative authority on the entire computer... why this isn't the case from the start I have no idea..!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Khadrelt wrote:Glad you fixed it.

I don't use Vista so I have no idea what that button is or does...sounds weird.
Sounds like the compatibilty switch is toggling between files created IN vista and files NOT created in Vista. e.g. the new plugin was created by an app running in Vista, the older plugins weren't.

WHY it does something weird like that I have no idea, but even XP does weird things with hiding files in certain folders it doesn't think you should be looking in. I can see locking certain system files from being edited interactively, but hiding the files altogether? Pfeh.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.