MacBook full install issue -- lag, disc spin up

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Myrninerest

MacBook full install issue -- lag, disc spin up

Post by Myrninerest »

I've been playing Myth II on my MacBook for months now, and I've had no significant problems other than this. When I installed the game, I opted for a full install -- however, I still can't play it without the CD, as I'm told that I don't have all the require files.

The main issue is in multiplayer, when the disc spins down because data isn't being read from it. However, when some events (such as a projectile being fired) occur when the disc isn't spnning at full speed, I get around 5 seconds of lag while it spins back up. This makes me lose games and look retarded in co-ops. In single player it's not so bad, because the game doesn't continue while the disc spins up, but it's still frustrating. Is there anything I can do about this? Is it worth trying a reinstall?

Thanks!
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

Are you using the latest version of myth? The CD was required until the 1.6 release. If everything is installed correctly you do not need the CD to play. If you are running the latest version make sure the following files are in your tags folder.

international large install
international small install
large install
medium install
small install

If any of those are missing no worries. You can just drag them over from the tags folder on your Myth II CD.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Hrm, it sounds like you may have a disk scratch or something and it's not recognising some of the files as a result. Have a look at the disk, does it have any scratches or other faults on it? You can try cleaning it with a cloth, make it slightly damp in one corner and wipe your CD from the inner edge (around the hole) to the outer edge of the CD. Then go over it again with a dry corner on the cloth.

After that you want to try going into the "Utilities" folder (inside Applications) and open Disk Utility, use that to try and create a disk-image of your Myth 2 CD, it tends to use more robust reading of the disk which might be able to avoid any damaged areas.

I ended up creating an image of my Myth 2 CD after it started suffering from scratches, the CD drive in my G5 can actually read it okay, but I didn't want to lose it =)

Then you just keep the image somewhere safe, or burn it to CD again so you have a back-up copy, then you can do your full-install and put the CD away where it won't get dirty or scratched again.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Myrninerest

Post by Myrninerest »

Thanks very much, guys. Such quick responses!

My disc is fine -- none of those files were there, though, so I guess that was the problem. TarousZars, your fix worked. Do I need all of those files, or just one of the large ones?

Thanks again. :)
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

You need them all. Unless it is different for Mac OS users we Windows users have those files in the folder "tags" within the "Myth II" folder.
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

You need them all.