my map is ugly

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
lank

Post by lank »

you can make it so that the black lines appear on the overhead but not on the map itself just by making that layer invisible when you export to pict or bitmap for loathing, and then making them visible again when you make a copy to scale down for the overhead map.
*toot*
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Well, you can even import smiling face as an overhead map :wink:
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

gugusm wrote:Well, you can even import smiling face as an overhead map :wink:
geez, gug - I ASKED you specifically NOt to reveal my plans for my new Myth VII conversion and here you go and spoilt it. :(
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

vinylrake wrote:
gugusm wrote:Well, you can even import smiling face as an overhead map :wink:
geez, gug - I ASKED you specifically NOt to reveal my plans for my new Myth VII conversion and here you go and spoilt it. :(
Hehehe :P It seems that you'll have to change your plans VR :wink:

Oh, and now something related to topic: Is it really so hard to make scrolling OH map, because I've read so somewhere, but I never wanted to do such a thing so I don't know if it's still a problem...
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

sometimes my OH map scroll, sometimes they don't and I have no idea i do such a thing
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

don't try making overhead maps bigger than 150x150 or people playing in low res will yell at you :P

overheads are not resized when playing in low res, so a big map can take half your screen.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

I think my overhead dimensions are 128x171 right now, is that a bad thing?
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

okay got my overhead map working and looking good thanks to souly, now I have this issue of my ground looking too close to observer, thoughts on how to fix this? It feels like I can't zoom out all the way or something.
God of mapmaking
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Try selecting Has Terrain-Following Camera in the mesh section in Fear.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Zaknafein wrote:okay got my overhead map working and looking good thanks to souly, now I have this issue of my ground looking too close to observer, thoughts on how to fix this? It feels like I can't zoom out all the way or something.
the other issue could be the range of elevation you had set when you created your map.

The total range that elevation can be is (i think) -7 (lowest ground furthest away from camera when zoomed out) to +7 (highest ground - closest to camera when zoomed out). If you never changed your map it might be 0-7 and if you have hills the camera is going to be pretty close to it - giving you that "why can't I zoom out more" feeling. [The range could be greater, for some reason I am remembering 7 as the max in each direction]

Before you start, if you are going to mess with this range BACKUP YOUR LOCAL FOLDER. Ok, done? NOW BACKUP YOUR LOCAL FOLDER AGAIN! SEriously. You can completely trash your map without even trying.

Warnings aside, and I take no responsibility for what you do to your map from here on in, if you want to change the elevation range of your map so the camera isn't so close to your units, here's what you need to do - ok, one more warning this is an OVERVIEW from my faulty memory and I am sure I am leaving (perhaps crucial) info out.

This is all done in loathing.

1. Export your displacement map (under the map menu). For good measure export ALL your maps, including your reflection/media map.

2. Under the the map menu -> Displacement map there is (i think) an option called something like 'range' or 'edit range' or something similar. This is where you set the highest and lowest elevations of your map. Set these to a wider range than what is currently there. If you want maximum camera zoomoutage set the high to 7 and the low to -7. (warning: units standing on the lowest elevation of your map will look TINY when you are zoomed all the way out). Unfortunately doing this won't change the way your map looks, you need to export and reimport your elevation/terrain related maps using the new range.

3) Re-import your terrain map. Reimport your reflection/media map. Etc.

CAVEATS:

1) Your water/media level will be all fubared. If you see the surface of your pond suddenly 20' higher than the ground around it, don't panic. Use the mesh elevation tool to find out the height you want your water to be (click a vertex then there's a menu option called something like 'set mesh height' if you select this you can see the height of the selected vertex. (Cancel out of this dialogue box). Now from the same menu select the 'set all media heights' option (assuming all the water on your map is at the same elevation) and type in the number you saw in the 'set mesh height' dialogue box. Then click ok.
This should put the water level back where it belongs. Sometimes you have to fiddle with the 'set all media height' value a bit to get it just right.

2. Because you expanded the elevation range your elevation map will get stretched out a bit. If you don't have a really detailed elevation map you probably won't notice it much. Your hills will be a little taller, your grades a little steeper, your valleys a litter deeper, etc.

I don't have loathing in front of me so I am sure I am misremembering the menu commands - let me know if you need more specifics, I'll have access to a Myth enabled computer this evening.

ps. Did I mention you can REALLY mess up your map by fiddling with the elevation range and reimporting your maps?

Aren't you glad you backed up your local folder?
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

Eddaweaver wrote:Try selecting Has Terrain-Following Camera in the mesh section in Fear.
tried that, didn't work.

VR my range is the exact same as any other map, but their cameras work fine. I'm hoping I don't need to change my range, and that the issue is something else. I'll try your advice though.
God of mapmaking
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

ok, so here is what my camera looks like now:

this look good?
God of mapmaking
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

ok I fixed the media pretty easily, this was good advice that I almost didn't take!
God of mapmaking
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Zaknafein wrote:ok, so here is what my camera looks like now:

this look good?
I can't see anything.

ps. Sure it was easy to fix your media once I told you how... ;) but you should have seen how long I screwed around with things before I found out how to do it.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

[imgi]http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... 20mesh.jpg[/imgi]

sorry about the last link, it should be fixed now. The problem I have in this picture, is that t here is this spike in the mesh that wont go away! I can't lift it back up to flat ground, it only goes farther down. any ideas?
God of mapmaking