Marathon Anywhere - help wanted

Talk about anything here.
Baak

Post by Baak »

By way of a follow-up, some info on our top three goes as follows:
  • ISOYG Tagset - 1999-04-25 - 9.7 MB - 3 maps
  • SitH Tagset - 1999-08-16 - 14.4 MB - ? maps
  • MaraMyth - 2003-03-04 - 22.3 MB - 8 maps
Size isn't always an indication of a better tagset, but interesting to me that the MaraMyth set is much newer (might use some 1.5+ features?), bigger, and has more maps.

Maybe this is the one?

Will let you guys see what you think. :)
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Wow rly? Is MaraMyth rly so fresh ? I thought that its the oldest. Check MaraMyth single/coop level "Deck 7". Looks like its incompatible with 1.6 and proly also with 1.5 and 1.4
http://projectmagma.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3730
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Yep, Maramyth is a lot older than that. Maybe its bigger because of its extra maps too...

http://www.rampancy.net/story/game/myth ... lease_soon - this puts it at 2001, but implies the plugin was "done" a while earlier.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Kythers

Post by Kythers »

After playing a few games with frum and demagogue, we came to the conclusion that SitH > ISoYG

We didnt try maramyth yet.

There's lots of work to do, too. Some of the units don't behave like they should!
Baak

Post by Baak »

Kythers wrote:After playing a few games with frum and demagogue, we came to the conclusion that SitH > ISoYG

We didnt try maramyth yet.

There's lots of work to do, too. Some of the units don't behave like they should!
Definitely progress - sweet!

Did you guys compile a list of the problems?

Actually you probably should try MaraMyth first, jic it solves them...

Good work guys! :)

EDIT: I fired up MaraMyth and it appears at first glance to be very much like SitH but not as "complete" - it is missing explosions and lots of little things. Not sure if the gameplay is better/worse though, but right now I would lean towards a "fixed" version of SitH tagset as the base.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Maramyth is definitely the earliest Marathon to Myth conversion, in fact it was started BEFORe Myth II was even released. They stopped work on it when Myth II was released and started converting it to Myth II. A demo map was available for download as far back as 7/3/99. Oddly the conversion itself was called "Whispers of lh'owon" somehow it ended up with the name of the team's website instead of the original name.

Here's a news item from the Maramyth online website:
MaraMyth Online Returns - 4/22/99 [Obitus]

After the release of Myth II the team decided to scrap all that we had laboured on and start fresh on porting over to the Myth II engine, not everything could just be converted straight and it took us these last few months to get this far, but now we have caught ourselves up and once again will be able to provide you with some new information.

With a new look and new info we are back, for starters you may notice the addition of the download section, which will soon carry the MaraMyth screenshots pack. Also I will place the first of our new screenshots on the screenshots page as soon as I get it in, and we have a complete page dedicated to contacts, keep an eye out for a new addition to the features page within the next few days. "

More Maramyth stuff can be found at http://www.mything.org/maps/readmes/maramyth/
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Kythers

Post by Kythers »

Ok so we will most likely use SitH as a base then.. :)

What follows should be intensive tests of unit vs unit fights, and whether the weapons/resistances are like in marathin (or close to it)

It will most likely take a while :)
Baak

Post by Baak »

Thanks, VR! You da man! Mystery solved! :D

Kythers wrote:Ok so we will most likely use SitH as a base then.. :)

What follows should be intensive tests of unit vs unit fights, and whether the weapons/resistances are like in marathin (or close to it)

It will most likely take a while :)
Sounds perfect. Definitely making progress!

I would suggest a two-fold approach:

(1) Remove any units that don't really fit (or that people really dislike or would never use - units that would always be traded away, etc.)

(2) Polish up the ones we want to include by figuring out precisely how they should be changed.

I noticed the whitish drone units (apologies for not knowing the unit name) was positioned visually better in MaraMyth (it appeared to be half flying), but had a very large selection box because the bottom half of it was empty. The version in SitH was proportioned properly, but the unit was extremely close to the ground. I would raise this unit to flying height - which might be a little high, but would make it the most realistic possible, and just be sure all units can shoot flying targets. A good example of a little change.
Kythers

Post by Kythers »

Yes, those drones are supposed to fly ;)

I don't think any unit should or needs to be removed. The trade-costs will probably need adjustment though!
Baak

Post by Baak »

Kythers wrote:Yes, those drones are supposed to fly ;)

I don't think any unit should or needs to be removed. The trade-costs will probably need adjustment though!
Trade-costs are another excellent thing to put on your "list" of necessary changes.

I'll leave the gameplay balancing and unit selection/tweaking to you guys to figure out.

I would be willing to get into the Fear side of it all to make the changes happen, but would require the "list" from you guys before diving in.

I'm also pointing Isolder from the OoH Forums to this thread as he contacted me back in November about his desire to make a MaraMyth Anywhere. I'm contacting him now to see if he has made any progress since he noticed similar imbalances and he may have already done some work we could incorporate into the final product.

I'll take a look at the maps from ISOYG and MaraMyth. I haven't been able to find a SitH Mappack although it was mentioned in their readme - it kinda sounded like a "work in progress" which may have never been completed.

I would plan to incorporate the maps into the Anywhere series as well so you could play any of the plugin on it (like you can do with the others). Bushido on Frog Blast? Why not! :D
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Baak wrote: I'll take a look at the maps from ISOYG and MaraMyth. I haven't been able to find a SitH Mappack although it was mentioned in their readme - it kinda sounded like a "work in progress" which may have never been completed.
The only SitH maps I know of are: "Three Eyes on the Plains" and "SitH Town".

3-Eyes is a "Demise on the Plains" map converted for the SitH tagset by Jungle Pickle! The readme for SitH Town just says it's a Myth II map customized for the SitH units.

I've never seen either of the two that were supposed to be in the first SitH mappack - 'Somewhere in the Murk, They are Lurking', and 'SitH Pool Party'.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

Kythers wrote:
The Devlin [...] As a Myth unit, they won't work well in open areas.
:shock: try playing Repemption with SitH tagset
I did...the Devlin just isn't scary when you're in brightly lit areas looking down from 50 m up in the sky. It just looks like a spiky epileptic seizure.

-Oro
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

I've got the following Marathon-related plugins. Tell me if you want me to upload any of them.

FBTVC_Map_1.1
ISOYG_Map_1.0
WWPF_Map_1.1
ISOYG_Tagset_1.0
ISOYG_Tagset_1.1b1
Claustropfhobia v1.0
Death in Realtime v1.01
Deck 7 v1.01
Don't Drink the Water v1.01
Heaven's Gate v1.0
How Few Remain v1.01
MaraMyth Angels pb1.0
MaraMyth Tagset v1.0
Pfhor God & Country v1.01
Thank God It's You! v1.0
SitH_Tagset_1.0
Roadwyrm

Post by Roadwyrm »

The marathon plugin that I was working on was a team effort between OogaBooga and myself, it was based on the "marathon RED" and Im not sure if this plugin had anything to do with what we where working on....All I did was attach the units (most came in two peices) and the amber work.

Last I heard the "red" version kind of came to a dead halt but Oogabooga was still interested in compleating it, he would know more about it and may be a good source for information as to how things worked in the game itself.

I dont think the version mentioned had anything to do with what we where working on if it was released befor MythII came out.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Eddaweaver wrote:I've got the following Marathon-related plugins. Tell me if you want me to upload any of them.

FBTVC_Map_1.1
ISOYG_Map_1.0
WWPF_Map_1.1
ISOYG_Tagset_1.0
ISOYG_Tagset_1.1b1
Claustropfhobia v1.0
Death in Realtime v1.01
Deck 7 v1.01
Don't Drink the Water v1.01
Heaven's Gate v1.0
How Few Remain v1.01
MaraMyth Angels pb1.0
MaraMyth Tagset v1.0
Pfhor God & Country v1.01
Thank God It's You! v1.0
SitH_Tagset_1.0
Edda, does Deck 7 work for you under 1.6 ?
"As long as a single one of us stands..."