Starting from Scratch

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Lord Raven

Starting from Scratch

Post by Lord Raven »

So, it's been about six years since I've ever looked at Fear, Loathing, or Photoshop. Back in 'the day', I was young and inexperienced and impatient. Now I'm a little older and just as inexperienced and impatient - but I want to give this map-making gig one last try.

I've noticed a veritable ass-load of walkthroughs, FAQs, and guides when it comes to the matter - but what are considered the definitive guides for mapmaking and scripting at an introductory level?

Really keen to sink my teeth into some old, far from complete projects.
Everyone explodes...
Jagman

Post by Jagman »

I know Fear is small peanuts and Loathing is the really tricky and essential part of the mapmaking process. *grumble*
But if you see me on HL or send me a message I'll do my best to help you with tagwork. :)
vinylrake

Re: Starting from Scratch

Post by vinylrake »

Lord Raven wrote:So, it's been about six years since I've ever looked at Fear, Loathing, or Photoshop. Back in 'the day', I was young and inexperienced and impatient. Now I'm a little older and just as inexperienced and impatient - but I want to give this map-making gig one last try.

I've noticed a veritable ass-load of walkthroughs, FAQs, and guides when it comes to the matter - but what are considered the definitive guides for mapmaking and scripting at an introductory level?

Really keen to sink my teeth into some old, far from complete projects.
in my opinion, the best intro for someone not already familiar with the details are Heal With Steel's Mapmaking for Newbies - it walks you through about EVERYTHING you need to make a map - from A-Z. It's really good - and if you actually follow the tutorial you will have been exposed to all the major stuff you need and will have a working map at the end of the process. The other guide that I use as a quicker reference when I want to know how many colors something has to be indexed to, or what size a pregame picture is supposed to be is Cydonian's mapmaking guide. They are both available at the Myth Graveyard along with lots more stuff. Not to say other tutorials aren't useful, and you may need a more specialized how-to depending on what you do in your map, but these are the two general tutorials I found the most useful.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Lord Raven

Post by Lord Raven »

Cheers for that, guys! Is the famed Mapmaking Food still available for textures?
Everyone explodes...
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

Jagman wrote:I know Fear is small peanuts and Loathing is the really tricky and essential part of the mapmaking process. *grumble*
But if you see me on HL or send me a message I'll do my best to help you with tagwork. :)
No way Jagman! you know as much as I do that fear is the essence of the plugin! :D
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Lord Raven wrote:Cheers for that, guys! Is the famed Mapmaking Food still available for textures?
It's on udogs, and there's another topic on the forums here about that very topic (with a url). I think the topic was something like "Importing Textures".
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.