Get your Myth up Advertising Myth

Talk about anything here.
Point

Get your Myth up Advertising Myth

Post by Point »

Points mythspace

Get your myth up ... pimp myth add your links to your myth on the web contributions... myspace youtube etc....

Lets get the myth out for 10 years of MWC

kudos to the site thats voted most mythy....
Last edited by Point on Sun May 18, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
ditwidget

Post by ditwidget »

Nice job!
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Get your Myth up Advertising Myth

Post by Pyro »

Point wrote:Points mythspace

Get your myth up ... pimp myth add your links to your myth on the web contributions... myspace youtube etc....

Lets get the myth out for 10 years of MWC

kudos to the site voted most mythy....
If you remove those spaces before and after that URL you won't have issues like your link or text not showing up.
doctor 7

Post by doctor 7 »

Good Christ that MySpace page is a jumbled mess
ditwidget

Post by ditwidget »

Lots to look at from various perspectives. Some folks messes are
very informative examples of what Myth is about to others.

Haven't seen a lot of sterile, retentive, and sweet smelling promotions
for this bloody, stinking, mayhem of a game that most of us love with
frenzied passion.

Thank you Point for caring enough about preserving the Myth community
to put forth the effort that most of us tidy folks shy away from.

LOL

:D
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

doctor 7 wrote:Good Christ that MySpace page is a jumbled mess
Without getting involved in an analysis of how someone designs his/her webpages, I think "jumbled mess" is a phrase that could apply to 90%+ of all MySpace pages, the box that MySpace forces you into designwise if you try to do anything more than have a plain vanilla page all but ensures that the result isn't going to be very neat.

<petpeeve> (Everyone is a critic - don't like something? Do it better! Can't do it better? Then appreciate that other people have more drive/skills to devote to helping promote the game of Myth and stop complaining). </petpeeve>
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Point

ummm

Post by Point »

vinylrake wrote:
doctor 7 wrote:Good Christ that MySpace page is a jumbled mess
Without getting involved in an analysis of how someone designs his/her webpages, I think "jumbled mess" is a phrase that could apply to 90%+ of all MySpace pages, the box that MySpace forces you into designwise if you try to do anything more than have a plain vanilla page all but ensures that the result isn't going to be very neat.

<petpeeve> (Everyone is a critic - don't like something? Do it better! Can't do it better? Then appreciate that other people have more drive/skills to devote to helping promote the game of Myth and stop complaining). </petpeeve>

guys im no myspace web guru and i really dont need or want to be... Create something better i dare ya ... i double dare ya ... well hell I'll ask ya...

Im simply putting stuff out there... and if i had limitless time i might find myself editing the page and dressing it up... though really im far enough behind in other stuff.. :)

JUST DO it these online pages or profiles are free and are a great way to get the word and and world of myth spread around ...

I look forward to seeing what people create... I have set the bar pretty low... step over it ;) leap if you can... :)
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
doctor 7

Post by doctor 7 »

I appreciate what you're trying to do but I think it would be more advisable to cut down on the gameplay videos all over the place and maybe have some text as to what Myth is.

A few days ago I made this thread on another forum to interest people there to play some Myth and Myth II:
doctor 7 on other internet forums wrote: Image

What the balls is Myth?
Myth and Myth II are real-time strategy games developed by Bungie back in their pro-Macintosh days set in a fantasy medieval time period. Myth was created by four programmers and three artists over two years. While Myth II was created with two programmers, four artists and two level designers over nine months (very impressive if you ask me). The Myth series focuses entirely on squad management rather than resource gathering as like other RTS games. Each mission you are given a finite amount of units, sometimes you are reinforced in certain missions, which you need to use as effectively as possible to succeed. Squad formation is essential to victory as well as using terrain (eg. get archers to high ground to provide a tactical advantage).

Why the balls would I want to play a game that's over 10 years old?
I know a few of us want to try out classic games, myself included so I think a few of us would really enjoy Myth. It was ground-breaking during its release as it was the first 3D RTS ever. On Metacritic Myth: The Fallen Lords has an overall score of 91/100 and it's sequel has a score of 88/100. Plus it's by Bungie so you can count on it having a great story and setting, Bungie style humor, the ability to save every game as a film for you (and others) to rewatch and killer multiplayer including, and probably most important of all, it features co-op single player. That's right, you can play through every single mission with a buddy. A co-op RTS, that's just bananas! Plus almost every computer ever can run it, including me on my old 400mHz iMac!

Alright doctor 7, you dashing internet bastard, I'm interested but I want to see some screens!
Singleplayer:
Image Image Image
Multiplayer:
Image Image Image

Is there a demo I can try out?
Absolutely. There is a Myth II demo available for Mac and for Windows to see how you like it.

Where can I get a copy of Myth II?
If you're not a devious internet pirate thief you can buy a copy brand new here but I'd suggest going on eBay and simply getting a used copy of Myth II Worlds there for cheap. GameTap also has it available for download, under Goon Recommendations as well, but then you can't play with anyone that doesn't have a GameTap version. Alternatively you can luck out like me and find a used copy at a video game store for $10. :coal:

OK so I have Myth II and that's great but I want to play the original Myth!
Project Magma, the group that also keeps Myth updated, has converted the entire Myth single player campaign to Myth II's engine and it is available for download here as a Myth II plugin.

So I've done all that, now how the crap do I play over the illustrious internet machine?
After Bungie.net stopped supporting Myth games a few Myth multiplayer servers popped up due to Bungie providing people with the Myth server source code (because Bungie is awesome). Currently the place to play Myth online is on Mariusnet, so register an account and we can get some games going.

Where can I get every Myth, Myth II and Myth III file ever?
Project Magma also provides the Myth file achieve called The Tain which now houses tons of 3rd party maps and mods.

Any suggestions for map and mod downloads?
Chimera is Bungie's official expansion for Myth II which has additional single-player and multi-player stuff. Project Magma converted Myth's multi-player maps into Myth II as Myth TFL Multiplayer Mappack. Aside from that, it's really up to you.

General gameplay tips:
- F1 and F2 control gameplay speed. When things get hairy you can slow gameplay down to 1/4 normal speed to give you a lot more control over issuing orders to everyone at once. Conversely you can save time by speeding up the game, useful for getting different groups into formation and you don't walk to wait a full 2 minutes.

- Assign groups by selecting the appropriate units and then pressing and holding ALT + (1-9) on the keyboard. It will shortly give you a confirmation message, from then on simply tap ALT + (1-9) to quickly select those units.

- Use formations by pressing 1-9 after selecting units. Get your archers in a long line to whittle away at enemy troops, get your melee fighters on either side of your archers to mop up what's left when they move in too close for archers.

- Molotov cocktail tossing dwarfs are great for taking down groups but the blast radius can damage your own units too. Use dwarfs wisely, one can take down tens of thrall if you use a toss and run tactic repeatedly.

- Keep your units alive! After each kill a unit gains experience which continues throughout the singleplayer campaign! More experienced units attack faster and with greater accuracy, so keep this in mind if you need a sacrificial lamb.

- Keep combat on your terms. Lure out enemies into your traps and avoid confrontation where possible.

Anything else I might want to know?
Installing Myth 2 off the cd on Windows XP requires you to run the setup.exe in compatibility mode for 98/ME. Otherwise you get an error at the end of the installation and nothing is actually installed.

If, for whatever reason, you want to look at manuals for either Myth or Myth II they are now online at The Tain, uploaded by yours truly. Myth: The Fallen Lords manual and Myth II: Soulblighter manual.

Handy Myth Websites:
Myth Wikipedia Entry has a lot more information about Myth including specific unit information, multiplayer gametypes, backstory, etc.
Mariusnet is the place to go for multiplayer Myth and Myth II play.
Project Magma continues to update Myth and has a number of great maps and mods.
The Tain holds hundreds of Myth files. Including total conversions for Myth II in WWII and Civil War settings!
Obviously it's been localized to those forums, I doubt on a less laid-back forum I'd start a post with "what the balls," but it sparked some interest, some new and some old Myth flames, and directly because of it I've played a few games of Myth with people on the forum. It's full of interesting information about the game, some screen captures to show what the game looks like, links for further information and specific directions not only how to obtain Myth II but how to get it up and running with the latest PCs and how to play Myth: TFL.

Now I don't suggest spamming internet forums all over the place saying "play Myth!" But if it's generally acceptable on a particular forum to suggest games to others, especially older games, I say have at it.
Last edited by doctor 7 on Mon May 19, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Point

organized...

Post by Point »

Now I don't suggest spamming internet forums all over the place saying "play Myth!" But if it's generally acceptable on a particular forum to suggest games to others, especially older games, I say have at it.

if you look closely on my page there are probably 8 links to what is myth ...

I say get a strategy and spam away... though where that spam leads needs to be really well put together... MWC 08 seems like a good focal point to point to...

btw good job on the above...
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

doctor 7 wrote:Anything else I might want to know?
Installing Myth 2 off the cd on Windows XP requires you to run the setup.exe in compatibility mode for 98/ME. Otherwise you get an error at the end of the installation and nothing is actually installed.
Hmmm? I run Windows XP and I have never had to do this to install Myth II. Maybe XP users without some of the service packs have issues, but I wouldn't know since after a reformat I update XP before reinstalling Myth II. Or perhaps the older versions of Myth II have this issue. For example if you buy Myth II Worlds, then your CD is v1.3 for sure.

Oh and Myth is actually an RTT (Real Time Tactical) game, but then again most people refer to it as an RTS.
doctor 7

Post by doctor 7 »

Pyro wrote:Hmmm? I run Windows XP and I have never had to do this to install Myth II. Maybe XP users without some of the service packs have issues, but I wouldn't know since after a reformat I update XP before reinstalling Myth II. Or perhaps the older versions of Myth II have this issue. For example if you buy Myth II Worlds, then your CD is v1.3 for sure.

Oh and Myth is actually an RTT (Real Time Tactical) game, but then again most people refer to it as an RTS.
I'm on a Mac so the Windows installer suggestion is third party information. It was offered to my by two people who decided to give Myth II a go after reading my post. They both had XP and both had the same experience so I threw it in there.

Also RTT is a sub-genre of RTS and far more people who haven't heard of Myth will know what a RTS is opposed to a RTT.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

nice promotion point! my only negative comment is the GIANT FIGHTING GROUND GOLD MOVIE!
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

We should get some solid word on the compatibility mode issue, I am certain I didn't need to do that on XP, and I think we have even seen a few issues on here caused by it. *Looks at Myrd* Whats the word?

Also, all around nice job sir. That's a pretty good overview of the whole thing!

-DA
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

Nicely done, D7.

Grammar tips: It's is short for it is or it has.

Its is a possessive pronoun, indicating what something belongs to.

If a sentence has its in it, but makes sense substituting it is or it has in the sentence, then the word should be it's.

You may wish to proofread your otherwise fantastic Myth summary against apostrophe abuse.

-Oro
"Harden The Fuck Up." - Dalai Lama, 1990
Baak

Post by Baak »

Been using Myth on XP Pro for about two years with zero problems.

Are you sure their problems weren't with Vista?

P.S. 1000 Registered Users here - sweet!