Sendmap/getmap in 1.7?

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

The Elfoid wrote:It's an idea people have wanted for so long, that its' inevitable almost.
Live a little longer and you'll realize the only thing that's truly inevitable is the inevitability of nothing.
The Elfoid wrote:If a file was downloaded within Myth's interface itself, and added to the plugin folder, would it be possible for the game itself to automatically "URL stamp" the plugin when it arrives in a player's folder, so anyone else can get a recent/working URL? That might be very complicated to implement but just an idea in my head.
It *could* but if I had access to the Tain files, I would probably write something that would parse plugins/maps AS they are added to the tain - extracting the actual unzipped filename that you put in your plugins folder and saving that on the map/plugin record that gets created for every new map/plugin. THEN when anyone in lobby wants to dl a map/plugin some host had activated, 'all' the myth game download code would have to do would be search the tain's plugin database to see if it can find any plugins with the same filename and if so dl it.
The Elfoid wrote:Blades/Clem were gonna have Myth III v1.4 include a similar feature, or so they claimed. Shame no one can get to their files and see if it had anything helpful in it...
I am not losing any sleep over the unlikelihood of this possibility.
neo123

re

Post by neo123 »

What about how its done on battle.net Warcraft 3 or SC, or is that not probable with m2?
Site Admin

Re: re

Post by Death's Avatar »

neo123 wrote:What about how its done on battle.net Warcraft 3 or SC, or is that not probable with m2?
Since SC/WC maps are made from...the built in stuff (there is a more elegant way to say this, but you know what I mean, the tiled landscapes, existing trees, etc), but myth maps often contain new content (colormaps, models, etc.) they are MUCH larger.

Example: Largest map in my starcraft folder is 200K, largest map for myth is 88 MB.

Not to mention the setup has some fundamental differences: SC maps are only one map, while myth has "plugins" which contain maps.

Just some thoughts...

-DA
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I am not losing any sleep over the unlikelihood of this possibility.
Agreed. I just mentioned it in passing as it sprang to mind.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

What about doing some things that other games have done for example Age of Empires 2, you download the plugin from the host, not the url
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

DarthRevan555 wrote:What about doing some things that other games have done for example Age of Empires 2, you download the plugin from the host, not the url
This has been mentioned before, there is a reason that isn't a good idea. For a game like StarCraft, the map is a small file, but a Myth II plugin can be many megabytes in size. Not only might you lag the host if his connection isn't real fast, but some people have a limit on how much they can download/upload per month. It wouldn't be fair for them. Sure, you might than mention an option to allow this, but then how many people will allow users to download a plugin from them? It isn't worth it.
zach

Post by zach »

would it be possible to set it up so in the lobby you could DL a map from multiple seeds that are logged onto the server like p2p. I could imagine seeing a button on the interface for currently active plugins that everyone has, also the number of available hosts. I guess that would also give ya an idea on the most popular plugs also have a feature to limit upload speed an connections. It also wouldnt effect hosting or playing cause dont you technically leave the server once you join a game.

again i dont know to much about this but i figured i would throw it out there
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

zach wrote:...again i dont know to much about this but i figured i would throw it out there
conceptually it's reasonable, but I don't know ANYONE who wants their bandwidth compromised by other people downloading plugins when they are trying to play Myth. I think embedding a P2P application into the Myth lobby code that is smart enough to stop sharing resources when someone is actively playing Myth would be a whole s*load of work.

There is also the issue of WHERE a myth game P2P program is going to look for Myth files - especially on the Mac side there is no standard location for where to install Myth (I have a half dozen different installs). When someone is searching for a plugin do I want them looking in ALL my Myth install plugins folders? Or in my MythII plugin archive folder that has everything I've ever downloaded? Somewhere else? You would have a level of complexity involved in having players configuring the P2p part so it would know where to look for files - you would also have the complexity of where to save files once they are downloaded (I would vote for a 'downloads' folder within the current Myth folder) and of players knowing to look there and unzip/unstuff the files and put them in their plugins folder. Some of it you could automate some not so much. None of this is unsolveable, but it's not _simple_ and adds complexity to the relatively simple process of playing the game.

Given the size of the community, if I were ranking priorities, and there were as much skilled resources and time needed to implement this kind of feature, I'd put them towards converting Myth II so it used 3D scenery and unit animations (ala M3) instead.

;)
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

myth 2 has some 3d scenery, Quarentine has the only 3d myth 2 tree i belive.

3d units......they dont work so well for mythyness. Take a took at M3, the only unit i envy is the Trow Iron Warrior. With his giant hammer that really kills things in an arching swing that matches the hammer's placement and movement, something that cant be done in myth 2.

Other than that, i miss myth 3's super awesome flowing blood that could stick to the feet of untits and be tracked around by those that have walked through blood. The amount the units tracked around blood was dependant on the amount of blood they walked through.

:::Memories:::

-Renwood
Peach Out
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Renwood TWA wrote:myth 2 has some 3d scenery....
wrong.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

vinylrake wrote:
wrong.
Depends what you classify as scenery surely?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

The Elfoid wrote:
vinylrake wrote:
wrong.
Yeah. I've seen that 3D tree. Technically it isn't scenery if you use mapmaking terminology. It is a model that is being used as scenery.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Pyro wrote:
The Elfoid wrote:
vinylrake wrote:
wrong.
Yeah. I've seen that 3D tree. Technically it isn't scenery if you use mapmaking terminology. It is a model that is being used as scenery.
That would be what I meant.

I'm sure VR and Ren both know that already but felt it needed to be made clear since I'm not in the mood to see Ren explode on VR again.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

The Elfoid wrote:I'm sure VR and Ren both know that already but felt it needed to be made clear since I'm not in the mood to see Ren explode on VR again.
If you are talking about Myth from a MAPMAKING point of view, a model is a model and scenery is scenery regardless of what either game object looks like. So, yes you can have a model that looks like a tree, or scenery that looks like a model (?).

Using imprecise language leads to misunderstanding and misinterpretation.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Yeah I figured Ren was speaking in a more casual way, rather than in a "map-maker" way. I would do the same as him, since I'm lazy like that.