Orpheus Rising released!

Talk about anything here.
gugusm

Orpheus Rising released!

Post by gugusm »

It has been 71 years since the end of the Great War and the fall of Balor. Eleven years since the fall of his greatest general, Soulblighter, in the second war. Now, the ageing King Alric has committed himself to rebuilding the Old Empire and restoring its former glory. King Alric learned a powerful lesson from the war with Soulblighter: constant vigilance. Stricter laws on the practise of magic and royal subsidies to pay for cremations are just some of the new measures that have been implemented help guard against evil. However, in the small villages of the West, where the letter of the law is stretched ever so thinly, evil can fester once again...

This a new solo/coop map made by me, Sardonac and with music by Fish. It uses colormap made by Bungie (Going to Town). I hope you'll enjoy it, more info in the description at The Tain and in readme file. Here it is:

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/orpheus-rising

Have fun! :D
lank

Post by lank »

sounds interesting. i'll be trying it out as soon as i can. :)

not to nitpick too badly, but in myth lore burial is preferable to cremation. the spirits and undead that arise from the process of cremation are orders of magnitude more terrible than anything that can be reanimated and pulled (or compelled to crawl) out of the ground. :o
*toot*
Grayswandir
Location: Running rampant in the bowels of human stupidity...

Post by Grayswandir »

Good work on this map! I got all the way to the end playing solo on Normal before dying (gonna try again soon, maybe coop on Legendary). I liked how the map made you try different strategies on all the groups of enemies. The lack of dwarves bugged me a bit, but that would have made the map a bit of a cakewalk.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
--Mitchell Radcliffe
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Thanks for playing! :D Well, lack of dwarves was intentional, so you can't just blow undeads up, like we all are used to :wink: I hope you'll also try it online, it makes it even more fun :)
mck2h

Post by mck2h »

Sounds interesting. Because it was made by author of 'Imprisoned', you :lol: . Imprisoned is one of my 'best' solo maps which I have played.

I'll try your new one :D
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Hehe thanks :wink: This is very different from Imprisoned though, but I hope you'll like it :)
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

I grabbed it. Gotta wait until my broken wrist is better before I give it a try, tho. Thanks for making it for all of us!
mck2h

Post by mck2h »

I succeeded 'No Casualties' in Legendary difficulty(and it was the very hard challenge for me :lol: ).

The fight vs Orpheus will be very tough if you wanna win with No casualties. I lured him using 2 Berserks(having green hp bars) on the tile where his fireball(?) couldn't burn. His ghasts were far away from him and Berserks killed him :lol:.

Very Good Job. Although the rescuing part was little boring, but the town defence was really enjoyable. And five stars for the design of the map. Very natural.

PS. If someone need the film, I'll share it(although it is not so good because it was the film of my 1st playing :lol: ).
Last edited by mck2h on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

played this today with a bunch of people, overall i was very impressed and thought it was pretty Mythy!

one big problem it seem to those playing was a lack of resources.

unless i missed a chache of fire arrows or root hidden on the map, there really seems to be too few options for you to fight all that stuff with.

It would be really nice to have wars that can block arrows here as you fight so many souless.

can you get Reinforcements at any point? i never saw that happen.

But then again we didnt beat it.

Anyways nice work keep it up!

-Renwood
Peach Out
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Well, the whole map was Sardonac's (one of the IXers) concept and mainly I was just following his orders and doing what he wanted me to, but of course everything depended on me too. I could say that he was a 'screenwriter' and I was a 'worker' :wink: Anyway I put a lot of effort into it and technically (scripting, mesh and tags editing etc. - the things that I was working on) I made it as much polished as I could. And yeah, maybe the first part is a little bit too long, but oh well, I won't criticize my own work :wink: :P

All in all, thanks for your comments and I hope you've got some good time while playing it :)
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

Good map I beat it on simple yesterday. Renwood is right, there needs to be more roots especially if you are unprepared for orphius's firemortor attack.

-Saint †
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.
Sardonac

Post by Sardonac »

Hi guys!

I'm happy people are enjoying it and we're pleased to have feedback. We've considered re-releasing the map as a v.2 if things seem a bit to rough on people. For example, on the Tain, Toecutter seems to have had a really hard time of it with the ghasts even though the ghasts were really easy to kill with melee.

Good to know about the roots and hidden caches though, we'll keep that in mind.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Renwood TWA wrote:...can you get Reinforcements at any point? i never saw that happen.
You mean other than all the zerks, arcs, warrs and the jman you rescue?

ps. I like this map a lot! At first I thought it seemed too simple, but then got decimated when I wasn't paying attention. Then it happened again with something different I wasn't expecting. It's a good balance - everytime I lose I have that "Oh, I could got past that if only...." feeling - crucial for a good map.

Well done.
Last edited by vinylrake on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Yeah, thanks for your feedback, but I'm not sure if we want to release v2 :wink:

I've always followed the rule that when I upload something, I don't change it anymore (except if there's some major bug like it was with 'The Untold Story'). Some poeple will like it as it is, some won't and changing some details in plugin won't change their mind about it for sure.

EDIT: Hehehe, yeah, I meant all those units were reinforcements :wink:
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

ill try it out next week when i have mucho time :)

ill let you know gugusm, id like to play it coop!