Official 1.7 Public Beta Bug Reporting Thread

Talk about anything here.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Had some more annoying things happen in the past few days

1. Everything lags sometimes. Someone said it might simply be my less than reliable broadband but I wanted ot throw it out here in case something can be done.

What I mean by 'everything lags' is that the camera becomes exceptionally jerky, myth doesn't recognise 50% or more of what I've typed and often my units won't respond to orders.

This isn't always happening, I've played lots of myth games since 1.7 and had no problems, but once it starts happening it doesn't stop (at least on the same host).

2. My FPS is incredibly low under 1.7 using Direct3D, on creep my FPS never exceeded 20-30 fps and just running in the north crossing made it dip around 10. I have a Hvergelmir film where my FPS is unable to go higher than 20 (fully zoomed in or out), this was noted in PT and shortly after PT ended.

3. Just a bump on the sound, still horrible so I turn it off during games.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Mercanthyr

Post by Mercanthyr »

The new patch works great as far as I can tell until I get to multiplayer games where I cannot get into the games once they start. You get the normal black screen with the little box saying: "waiting for the other players this may take time etc" and it just sits there. I confirmed that it was loading because there was a recording taken of it where I had entered the game but just sat there and other people were in game.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Mercanthyr wrote:The new patch works great as far as I can tell until I get to multiplayer games where I cannot get into the games once they start. You get the normal black screen with the little box saying: "waiting for the other players this may take time etc" and it just sits there. I confirmed that it was loading because there was a recording taken of it where I had entered the game but just sat there and other people were in game.
How old is your computer, what are you trying to load, has this ever happened with 1.6?
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Baron LeDant wrote:1. Everything lags sometimes. Someone said it might simply be my less than reliable broadband but I wanted ot throw it out here in case something can be done.

What I mean by 'everything lags' is that the camera becomes exceptionally jerky, myth doesn't recognise 50% or more of what I've typed and often my units won't respond to orders.

This isn't always happening, I've played lots of myth games since 1.7 and had no problems, but once it starts happening it doesn't stop (at least on the same host).
Does this only happen in multiplayer? Is there any pattern to when it is happening? An interesting test would be to play in windowed mode and see what the CPU usage does when it happens. On a machine like yours it should not be going near 100%, so if it does then something is going wrong.
2. My FPS is incredibly low under 1.7 using Direct3D, on creep my FPS never exceeded 20-30 fps and just running in the north crossing made it dip around 10. I have a Hvergelmir film where my FPS is unable to go higher than 20 (fully zoomed in or out), this was noted in PT and shortly after PT ended.
What is meant by shortly after PT ended? 1 second? 1 minute? There is a known performance issue with having a dialog up in game, which is low priority for fixing since it doesn't normally matter during gameplay. I'm wondering if this is the same thing.

FYI Based on your system specs from your previous post, you should be able to run OpenGL instead. The Direct3D renderer is only meant for older machines.
3. Just a bump on the sound, still horrible so I turn it off during games.
We're aware of this issue, but it isn't being worked on since we don't have any developers who have Vista at the moment. Sorry. All I can say for now is make sure your sound drivers are all updated.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Melekor wrote:We're aware of this issue, but it isn't being worked on since we don't have any developers who have Vista at the moment. Sorry. All I can say for now is make sure your sound drivers are all updated.
That, and Vista is a steaming pile of crap. :-)
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Mercanthyr wrote:The new patch works great as far as I can tell until I get to multiplayer games where I cannot get into the games once they start. You get the normal black screen with the little box saying: "waiting for the other players this may take time etc" and it just sits there. I confirmed that it was loading because there was a recording taken of it where I had entered the game but just sat there and other people were in game.
Need more information as specified in the OP. Is this happening every time or just sometimes? To your knowledge, did the game commence successfully for the other players?
GodzFire wrote:That, and Vista is a steaming pile of crap. :-)
Not a helpful comment. You've already been warned by Iron about keeping on topic in this thread. Think before you post.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Does this only happen in multiplayer? Is there any pattern to when it is happening? An interesting test would be to play in windowed mode and see what the CPU usage does when it happens. On a machine like yours it should not be going near 100%, so if it does then something is going wrong
This has only happened in multiplayer so far (ran one test game solo with no ill effects) and seems to happen if I've played a few games already. It has never happened in the first few games I play after logging in.

I'll note that it has happened on 2 different hosts on several different maps. Once the problem starts it seems to carry onto the next game.

I'll test it on windowed and check my CPU usage tomorrow if I have time.
What is meant by shortly after PT ended? 1 second? 1 minute? There is a known performance issue with having a dialog up in game, which is low priority for fixing since it doesn't normally matter during gameplay. I'm wondering if this is the same thing.

FYI Based on your system specs from your previous post, you should be able to run OpenGL instead. The Direct3D renderer is only meant for older machines
Shortly in this case means 30 secs after PT has ended, at that point I had to leave so I have no idea if it continued. Previous games indicate that the FPS would've stayed low.

I've typically used OpenGL in the past, I did try using all 3 available rendering options but they all lagged equally (software rendering had an extremely jerky camera).
We're aware of this issue, but it isn't being worked on since we don't have any developers who have Vista at the moment. Sorry. All I can say for now is make sure your sound drivers are all updated.
The thing is, I've had the sound issues with the messages being delayed prior to this beta, the sound issue here is all sound sounding....lagged I guess and all over the place. This was not present in 1.6.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Are you sure you don't have other processes running on your system that periodically consume 100% CPU? Something like this would definitely cause lag for Myth...

Check your task manager when the lag happens and see what's taking your CPU, if it's not Myth.
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

the ability to have set captains in a random team game would be great.
what the hell is the pword to my old account?
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Changed affinity on the myth 2 process back to all 4 cores rather than the single one someone had told me to run before. Sound appears to be fixed (not played a multi so I can't say about that yet) when I tested it in solo games.

I'll see how lag is later.

This proves that you should never trust people named Contrai

edit - I noticed in windowed mode that the bottom part of the screen gets cut off, I have to maximise the window in order to see it
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Baron LeDant wrote:Changed affinity on the myth 2 process back to all 4 cores rather than the single one someone had told me to run before. Sound appears to be fixed (not played a multi so I can't say about that yet) when I tested it in solo games.
We purposely set the affinity to the first core because otherwise the network code bugs out - you will likely experience random disconnects from mnet if you do that. If you're 100% sure this fixes the sound, perhaps we can selectively restrict the affinity of the non-sound threads and allow the sound threads to be on any core.
edit - I noticed in windowed mode that the bottom part of the screen gets cut off, I have to maximise the window in order to see it
Not a bug. The title bar and window frame take a little bit of space, so if the game area is the same resolution as your monitor obviously it's not going to all fit. You just need to run at a lower resolution to play in windowed.
Mercanthyr

Post by Mercanthyr »

Mercanthyr wrote:
The new patch works great as far as I can tell until I get to multiplayer games where I cannot get into the games once they start. You get the normal black screen with the little box saying: "waiting for the other players this may take time etc" and it just sits there. I confirmed that it was loading because there was a recording taken of it where I had entered the game but just sat there and other people were in game.

Need more information as specified in the OP. Is this happening every time or just sometimes? To your knowledge, did the game commence successfully for the other players?

I have a quad-core AMD, 4 gigs of ram an nvidia x260 or whatever it is (it's got shader model 3 and 768 megs of ram) I am running vista

No it does not happen in 1.6 and never has, it happend about 3 times before I stopped trying (out of courtesy) in net games. Supposedly others are playing because I saw a recording of saved of the last game where I supposedly had entered the game but was idle while other people talked and played.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Ok it auto reset affinity to a single core and sound seems fine now (still got the message delay (units received, game on etc). Not experienced the horrible ingame lag either in the past few days so hope its gone away.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Mercanthyr wrote:Mercanthyr wrote:
I have a quad-core AMD, 4 gigs of ram an nvidia x260 or whatever it is (it's got shader model 3 and 768 megs of ram) I am running vista

No it does not happen in 1.6 and never has, it happend about 3 times before I stopped trying (out of courtesy) in net games. Supposedly others are playing because I saw a recording of saved of the last game where I supposedly had entered the game but was idle while other people talked and played.
OK, thanks for the followup. This bug sounds really puzzling to me. The networking code has not really changed significantly between 1.6 and 1.7, and so far you are the only one to report this issue. Are you sure it's not a firewall thing? I know you said 1.6 doesn't do it, but have you gone back and tried 1.6 after you experienced it happening in 1.7?
Baron LeDant wrote:Ok it auto reset affinity to a single core and sound seems fine now (still got the message delay (units received, game on etc). Not experienced the horrible ingame lag either in the past few days so hope its gone away.
I'm not really sure what you mean by "it auto reset affinity". The 1.7 beta has always set the affinity to the first core. But if the lag just automagically goes away that makes it seem more likely that it was caused by some other programs.

I was able to optimize the code that draws the unit trading interface under OpenGL, so PT should not lag so much, however that has no bearing on lag after PT.
ducky

Post by ducky »

Ok, my first run with 1.7 so far has gotten pretty serious fps lag. I don't think I've ever had water lag or anything similar in previous versions.

Fps was less than 10 for all maps, and far slower over water.

1.7.9, OSX 10.4.11, 1.25 GHz G4

Max fps unchecked, openGL was the only option.

I played with the cache option a couple times and increased it to 312. this improved fps to about 14 tops but water lag was still about 2.