Myth TFL Beta 3 Information Found

Talk about anything here.
GodzFire

Myth TFL Beta 3 Information Found

Post by GodzFire »

We recently were able to get a copy of Myth TFL Beta 4, which is uploaded somewhere on uDogs Hotline. Since then I've been scouring the web for any leads to earlier betas. Unfortunately, I did not locate any surviving copies of TFL Betas 1-3.

I did, however, locate an old article which detailed information on Beta 3. Most are names, flavors, map info, but I thought might be helpful.

I've uploaded a webpage with the information HERE, (note: very long read). I suggest downloading the webpage to your computer, as I'm not sure how long it will be up.
Killswitch

Re: Myth TFL Beta 3 Information Found

Post by Killswitch »

Which beta version is hidden on the TFL disc? (hidden in tags:Local:myth.beta 11.27.96)
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

http://myth.bungie.org/legends/relics/u ... ented.html
Killswitch wrote:Which beta version is hidden on the TFL disc? (hidden in tags:Local:myth.beta 11.27.96)
Huh?
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Myth beta pic
Myth beta file location

The beta files are located in a hidden folder. Use TinkerTool to show hidden files.

Post by Avatara »

Eddaweaver wrote:http://myth.bungie.org/legends/relics/u ... ented.html
Killswitch wrote:Which beta version is hidden on the TFL disc? (hidden in tags:Local:myth.beta 11.27.96)
Huh?
That webpage is the best source of info about Myth:TFL betas. I have read it about a dozen of times, it never gets old :mrgreen:.

Also, it was fortunate that Bungie dropped the idea of having FGs and Trow having long range projectile attacks, which was a really terrible idea. But then in Myth 2 they created the Myrk giant and we all know how that turned out for multiplayer balance.

Is that beta accessible on Windows?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

hmmm... tinkertools doesn't run under 10.2.8, but I can't see the beta in the Terminal app when I do a 'ls -a' so I am guessing maybe the beta wasn't on the Myth TFL CD in the Total Codex pkg?
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

vinylrake wrote:hmmm... tinkertools doesn't run under 10.2.8, but I can't see the beta in the Terminal app when I do a 'ls -a' so I am guessing maybe the beta wasn't on the Myth TFL CD in the Total Codex pkg?
Wow...still running Jaguar?? You're braver than I thought!

Can't say for sure about the Total Codex disc - I'm using an old school original TFL disc. Also, the beta probably won't work on Windows. Just a little hidden gem for Mac folk.

Post by Avatara »

Killswitch wrote:
vinylrake wrote:hmmm... tinkertools doesn't run under 10.2.8, but I can't see the beta in the Terminal app when I do a 'ls -a' so I am guessing maybe the beta wasn't on the Myth TFL CD in the Total Codex pkg?
Wow...still running Jaguar?? You're braver than I thought!

Can't say for sure about the Total Codex disc - I'm using an old school original TFL disc. Also, the beta probably won't work on Windows. Just a little hidden gem for Mac folk.
Well that's sad. Thx for sharing the pictures though, I was surprised by the title screen. Reminded me of Diablo for some reason.
devSin

Post by devSin »

Killswitch wrote:Can't say for sure about the Total Codex disc - I'm using an old school original TFL disc. Also, the beta probably won't work on Windows. Just a little hidden gem for Mac folk.
I don't think that picture is from an original original release... I just popped mine out, and not only is there no beta distribution, but the Local/ folder is completely empty except for the net-only flag file (none of those patch files are there; I don't see the Rendition setup folder either)? This is from the v1.0 physical disc.

It would have been neat to see, though.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Kills, where the HECK did you get that CD from? I have my original TFL Disc here, and I see NOTHING in Local except the flag folder.

You might have something special there. Can you please rip the 'myth.beta 11.27.96' folder and upload it to uDogs? I'd love to check that thing out.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

devSin wrote:I don't think that picture is from an original original release... I just popped mine out, and not only is there no beta distribution, but the Local/ folder is completely empty except for the net-only flag file (none of those patch files are there; I don't see the Rendition setup folder either)? This is from the v1.0 physical disc.

It would have been neat to see, though.
Oops, upon closer look, this is the 1.2 CD. Funny, I thought everyone knew about the hidden beta. It's been talked about since about a decade ago.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

dug around a bit and did manage to locate a Myth TFL Demo v1.0 on a MacAddict CD from January 1998. Doesn't appear to have all the stuff the actual CD had though (understandably).

ps. Jaguar is a steaming pile of weasel dung.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

vinylrake wrote:ps. Jaguar is a steaming pile of weasel dung.
But still lightyears ahead of Vista.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

GodzFire wrote:But still lightyears ahead of Vista.
As much as I dislike the idea of installing Vista on my comp, just hearing godzfire insult Vista makes me rethink my slight distrust of Vista with older computers. I would only use Vista on a newer comp.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

GodzFire wrote:But still lightyears ahead of Vista.
maybe on older hardware but i've been using it on a new work laptop and I am not minding it as much as i've minded previous versions of windows. especially after pimping it out with ssoftware that lets me have different background pix on each monitor (if you have multiple monitors Vista doesn't natively support having a different background image on each), a toolbar on the second monitor that only shows apps open in the second window, and nice very-maclike Dock.

Sometimes I almost forget I am on a PC. almost.