F7 doesn't display player list

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
oldtrow

F7 doesn't display player list

Post by oldtrow »

I run Myth II v1.7 on Mac OSX. I have default control setup, but in multiplayer, when I press f7, nothing happens and I can't see the player list or current game time. There doesn't seem to be an option to change the control either, when I look in the preferences menu.

Thanks!
Myrd
Site Admin

Re: F7 doesn't display player list

Post by Myrd »

If you try using a different keyboard, does it still not work?
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

The F7 function doesn't have the ability to be re-mapped, ie made to be on another key. However make sure you didn't accidentally map something else to F7.

I have OSX 10.5.8, and I just confirmed that F7 works in both Multiplayer mode and Co-Op mode.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I don't have issues with F7 working for windows. Perhaps your keyboard is messed up? Or maybe you accidently mapped it to something like Godzfire suggested? This is gonna sound silly, but are you sure you pressed F7 and not just the 7 key?
oldtrow

Post by oldtrow »

my keyboard is fine, i've no troubles with any of the other commands. it's a new macbook, anyway. and yes, i did press f7, and not just the 7 key.

i think the problem is that f7 is mapped to "rewind" for audio files, so perhaps that affects the in-game function of f7, as well. i'll have to see.

thanks guys for your feedback.
Methodlessman

Post by Methodlessman »

Just in case- Sometimes I forget this too:

On recent Macs, to use the F keys, you have to hold the Fn button down at the same time (its usually located at the bottom left of the keyboard).
oldtrow

Post by oldtrow »

That's a very helpful reminder. Thanks, I'll try that in-game and see if it works.
oldtrow

Post by oldtrow »

just tried the fn (function) key + f7, and that is the answer. To see the player list on my MacBook I've to press fn + f7.

Thanks for your help!
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Ha if you'd mentioned you were on a Macbook in the first post I would've point this out.

Occasionally even Fn+ F#s are pre-mapped to an OSX funciton. If you utilize Spaces for example, or use Exposé, they'll require a Fn + F#. So, F7 is a poor example since you've solved it and its working, but it is the example I'm going to use. Say Fn + F7 does something to your Mac... Brings up Space #3 for example. In myth, it should've added an EXTRA function key if that makes sense... so you might now have to press Fn + Opt + F7.

This is just a general note about OSX function keys. Sometimes even Fn + F-key isnt enough. F-key alone is almost never enough. :)
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I like to go into the Keyboard section of System Preferences and check the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" option. This makes it so you have to use the Fn key to activate Spaces and Exposé and whatnot, and you can just press the function keys like normal in Myth.
The cake is a lie.