How do you make your own units?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Graydon

Re: How do you make your own units?

Post by Graydon »

3d.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Zeph wrote:I really dislike the poser renderer
I really dislike Poser in general :)
I mean it's a good enough idea; simplified interface for rendering characters, but for the kinds of things I want to do I'd need to make a ton of props or a whole new character model, which pretty much requires you to do the whole thing in another 3d program anyway :D
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

you are absolutely right
but for people with no 3D skillz like me, Poser is a really good way to do myth units
I did all the greek units in poser
conclusion: if you want to be a Pro and create the units you want FROM SCRATCH
use 3D
if you have no clue as to 3D and somehow your units can be made with existing figures/props, use poser
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Ravenplucker

Post by Ravenplucker »

Bugger, I looked up Poser and its only for Windows, I have a mac... Oh well, I s'pose its learning 3D from scratch...
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

you can use poser 4 in mac
I used to have it in mac...
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

same, im pretty sure poser 4 has a mac version
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Actually, there's also Poser 5, 6, 7, and 8 for Mac. It's always been available for Mac.

http://poser8.smithmicro.com/dr/index.html

As you can see on this site, you can get 8 for Mac from the dropdown menu.
The cake is a lie.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Or possibly at iso*cougH*unt.
Ravenplucker

Post by Ravenplucker »

hehe, I don't know WHAT the hell I was looking at then
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

I know its a bit late but. Blender is what I us for when im trying to edit the movement and the actions of the units that I "make"

blender is a great tool. I really like it

-Sonix
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

2 points for Blender!

Souly uses Blender, he hasnt commented lately, but he'd make a good comment on it, so I'll do it for him. Blender FTW.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

and at least one vote for Poser. Having seen Carlinho's units, I'd have to say Poser is quite up to the task of making units. And I haven't used either Blender or Poser in several years, but last I used either of them, creating a humanish figure and animating it for basic movement sequences in Poser was about 400x simpler to do than in Blender.

I have heard Blender is teh bomb, and it can obviously do many, many things Poser can't do (nor was it designed to). But Poser was designed specifically for animating jointed figures and it does it pretty well. Import some mocap files and your animation work is practically done.
Point

Post by Point »

poser is by far the fastest and easiest way to animate units for myth...

I use poser 7 mac these days... and cinema 4dxl and archicad if I need to build parts or pieces to import into poser... Renderosity and other poser sites provide a wealth of free copyright open stuff as well...

also I do have many of the unit models in poser from myth mods etc... sisters of the blade etc that could be adjusted to give more sequences or simply edited to create a new variant on the unit...

once you have the presets camera lighting and poses rendering a whole army of units becomes rather straight forward... not sure how carlino goes about it though both him and I have managed to role out a lot of units... lol not that I take as much pride and time in them as he does...

anyway I have the basic lighting and camera settings and myth animation poses if anyone wants them... at this point all one really has to do is replace the figure in poser and fine tune all the animations to meet the new figure and props from idle to walk to death hard death etc...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Point wrote:...anyway I have the basic lighting and camera settings and myth animation poses if anyone wants them... at this point all one really has to do is replace the figure in poser and fine tune all the animations to meet the new figure and props from idle to walk to death hard death etc...
Are those settings something that can be exported and zipped? Or would youhave to do screenshots?

Either way, I think that would be a very useful resource for anyone wanting to make units.

If you have any tips or wanted to write up a brief overview of the steps you go through to animate an action from all the different angles that would probably be helpful too.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

I think with patience, time and the tutorial by strangelet "doing units the strange way" or something like that, poser and renderosity.com , daz3d.com you can make some cool units...without any 3d experience...

you can download the tutorial from the tain and from my website.

of course if you want to do something really custom...well, then you need to learn how to do 3D...

pd and thanks vinyl for the praise...! :wink: