Keyboard dead on Mac OS X 10.6.1?

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
KrioniTWF

Keyboard dead on Mac OS X 10.6.1?

Post by KrioniTWF »

I recently upgraded to Mac OS X 10.6.1 and my keyboard no longer works in Myth. I'm running version 1.7 and have the Myth II Soulblighter CD (bought it when it first came out). I haven't played for a few months, but it used to work without a problem. Now it completely ignores my keyboard. As in, I can't even hit Escape to bring up the Save/Load/Quit dialog. Nothing on the keyboard works, while the mouse is fine. I checked my Preferences, and everything appears to be normal.

I also tried completely removing my "preferences" folder while Myth II wasn't running. Same thing. I can't even skip the cutscene.

Any ideas what is wrong, or what other troubleshooting I could try?
Graydon

Re: Keyboard dead on Mac OS X 10.6.1?

Post by Graydon »

This may seem like a totally redundant question, but: Does your keyboard work with all other apps since your upgrade to Snow Leopard?

I updated a couple days after it came out, and havent had a problem with my keyboard so far. I have an aluminum Mac wireless keyboard.
KrioniTWF

Post by KrioniTWF »

It works in other apps.
Here's more information: MacBook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo. 2 GB RAM. 72 GB free disk space.

Tried this both with only built-in keyboard (all USB devices removed) and with external Apple USB keyboard, which worked correctly everywhere else.

Not sure if there's anything else I can try to uninstall. Are there any preferences outside the Myth II folder?

The keyboard seems to stop working while Myth II is active at all. I can't even type in alternate keys for controls in the Preferences -> Controls screen. I have only the "Default" Interface.

In fact, at the main game screen, command-Q no longer quits Myth. I'm sure that it used to. Instead, it the menu "Myth II 1.7" just does a highlight-blink as if a menu item was selected, but doesn't actually take action.

I'll test this in another user account to see if it is specific to this user account.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Just make sure you don't use a GUEST account - unless you want to lose all the files in your normal user account.

I have no problems using a kensington cheapo pc keyboard with snow leopard.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

If you say cmd+Q makes the 'Quit' option highlight in game, that is SOME indication that Myth isnt entirely ignoring your keyboard.

Boot up myth, then quit, then open your mythlog.txt and see if any information regarding the keyboard is reported there?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Try making a new user account and launching Myth II. If the keyboard works, then its some issue with your user account / preferences in Mac OS X.
KrioniTWF

Post by KrioniTWF »

I did try using Myth II in another user account. It worked without a problem there.

(Thanks for the tip on not using a true "Guest Account" - I thought the same thing. *grin* )

So, it appears to be a conflict with something in my user account.Not sure what to try. I already tried moving out the "preferences" folder from the Myth II folder. Are there other preferences specific to Myth that I can remove, or is it some other software in my user account?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

It must be non-Myth preferences that happen to affect Myth. I'm not sure what's the best way to debug it. Perhaps easiest would be just to migrate all your stuff to the other account?
KrioniTWF

Post by KrioniTWF »

Heh. Right. I think what I'll do is just login to the other account when I want to play Myth. Seems to work.

Perhaps when I've got a day or so free, I'll try the wipe-drive-install-OS-and-everything-else method. I've got a bunch of crud that has accumulated over the years, even though I'm running Snow Leopard.
KrioniTWF

Post by KrioniTWF »

By the way, thanks to everyone for chiming in to help - it's nice to see there's still an actual Myth community. I wasn't sure I'd get a lot of response - I haven't been around for a while. I remember back in the early days (I was one of the founders of TWF, back in Myth: TFL and later in Myth II), when it was really booming.

Thanks!
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

No offense but what does TWF stand for?
KrioniTWF

Post by KrioniTWF »

No problem. It was The Wight Foundation - we thought it was sad (sarcasm) the way those poor guys were always sacrificed for the team. :-)

Competed in some early tournaments. Had a lot of fun. About 20 of us in its heydey.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

I just got this problem under mac os Leopard. After joining a game, my keyboard became completely unresponsive in myth...

I'll try to reload the user account and see if it helps

edit : logging off my macos user account and relogging in solved the problem... weird
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Ditto what Zeph just said.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

know what's really odd? I just had this problem last night (OS X 10.6.1) . Started up Myth and the cursor repeatedly speed flashed through all 4 entry fields (username, team name, login, password) . Clicked to login and couldn't type in lobby. Joined game and couldn;ty move or rotate or do anything with the keyboard.

Logged out of mnet, checked preferences - when I went to the input/keyboard screen the cursor zoomed thru all options replacing each one with 'TAB' - did this until I clicked 'cancel'. Checked my keyboard, tab key wasn't pressed. Thinking it was a keyboard malfunction I quit myth and tried a different keyboard. Same thing.

Shut down myth, unplugged keyboard from USB hub and plugged it directly into comp. Same problem.

Other apps worked fine - I could type in textpad or in browser window, but not in myth lobby.

Tried 2 other versions of Myth II - all had the same problem.

Cursed at gods of technology, started myth up again and my keyboard worked. Switched back to original keyboard - it works.

This was definitely a localized to Myth problem.

ps. I did not log off my account or reboot my machine.