Come and get it - Geomview .02

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

GeomView has been updated to .02. Yes, it's still beta, but it should have at least a little more functionality than the previous version. You can now use it to view Myth models in a 3d window (TFL or SB geoms).

Mac: GeomView .02b for Mac

Windows: GeomView .02b for Windows

You'll need the Quesa Library at www.quesa.org (it's free). GeomView has been bug tested a whole 10 minutes so go easy on it. If things keep going well, an importer might be in the cards.

mauglir

Post by mauglir »

This is a great little app! I'd love to see more from it.

I have a few suggestions:

• It would be nice if the materials tab included some reference info that matched the 3D view window. i.e. Magenta = This Material's Name. This would be handy because materials don't have their own name unless you speficially set up the collection tag with that info using Amber. When I view one of my own .geoms in GeomView, that tab just says Material, Material, Material, etc. With a color reference, you could at least get a visual about which material is which even without any proper names.

• Hotkey camera controls for the 3D view would be groovy, especially if they matched Myth's camera controls =D

• The wireframe view works great, but the solid view looks strange because the backsides of all the surfaces are drawing (they don't in Myth unless the surface is flagged as two-sided).

Great job on this Killswitch! Please keep it up!
Mauglir
Industry

Post by Industry »

The PC version gives me an:
"Unhandled Exception in GeomView_PC.exe: 0xC0000005: Access Violation"
when I try to "Open File" an extracted geom file on Win98.
Previous version would open the files.

Any chance I could get the source since I can't debug assembly language yet. :)

Oh, BTW, I also think this rocks.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Industry wrote:The PC version gives me an:
"Unhandled Exception in GeomView_PC.exe: 0xC0000005: Access Violation"
when I try to "Open File" an extracted geom file on Win98.
Previous version would open the files.

Can you zip the file you're trying to open and email it to me?

send to eldersanders (at) hotmail.com

Oh, and do you have/know Real Basic?

Killswitch
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

They say that idle hands are the devil's workshop...

GeomView has been updated. Consider this the "Mauglir" build :). It has a couple of his ideas rolled in (key commands for model rotation, colors next to materials list). Also a few tweaks and fixes.

Get it while it's hot!

GeomView for Mac beta 03
GeomView for PC beta 03
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

wow that was a quick update
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Nice work Killswitch. Glad you found my suggestions to be good ones.
Mauglir
Industry

Post by Industry »

Killswitch I emailed you one of the extracted tags that was causing me the error.

No, I don't know Real Basic, but I'm ready to learn. According to their website, its similar to VB.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Great app Killswitch!
An importer would be awesome, as I have found just today that Apathy no longer runs in Classic mode under OS 10.3.4 :(
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Yikes, that good to know Haravik. I'd better hold off on the next OSX update until something is done about the tool situation.
Mauglir
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

haravikk wrote:Great app Killswitch!
An importer would be awesome, as I have found just today that Apathy no longer runs in Classic mode under OS 10.3.4 :(

Between you and me and everyone running Jaguar, here's my advice: don't jump into Panther just yet. I've had my fair share of problems from all the little tweaks between Jaguar and Panther. From my experience (this is going on memory, mind you) Jaguar 10.2.8 was quite solid and stable. I've had all sorts of little glitches with Panther.

Bear in mind, however, that I do some oddball stuff - outside the norm, so to speak (like AppleScript development and Myth geometry apps :)

And yes, I'd totally love an importer too! I've run Apathy just enough to not really love it. Feels like what it is: a 1.0 release. Besides, I'm hoping with an app that runs on both Macs and Windows (not that I'm rooting for those poor buggers) maybe the Myth series will get a bigger fan base going once again.

Killswitch
Gholsbane

Post by Gholsbane »

Um, shouldn't a 1.0 release feel complete? Your comment suggests to me that the "release now! patch later!" approach is still thriving... :(
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Apathy isn't even a beta IMO, it has lots of functionality missing (like error messages). I can't stand it, but then I can't remember what format Vegas deals with and seem to remember not being able to find a program that works if it when I did remember =(

And it's too late for me, I'm already on Panther, I love it personally except for this one glitch it's been smooth sailing, and I do some unusual things as well (PHP and MySQL development being just one)
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Hey Killswitch, if you are around, I'd like to talk to you about giving you some code to export .skl (for m3) for it. It looks like you are working out of real basic, and I just happen to have code that translates from meshwork->.skl. Only addition that would need to be done is combining the textures into one big one, but thats easy coding, and I could do that for you too.

This is all if you are interested. I'll go ahead and pm/email you with details
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)
Phex

Post by Phex »