Myth on xbox360 as xbox live arcade game ?

Talk about anything here.
Tireces

Myth on xbox360 as xbox live arcade game ?

Post by Tireces »

Oops I wanted to post it in "how to reinvent myth" topic.

If only some1 ( cough Project cough Magma cough ) could cooperate with Take2 and M$ and release Myth II on Xbox360 as a xbox live arcade game downloadable via xbox live! ( just like Marathon 2 was released as XBL arcade Marathon: Durandal )
I know that multiplayer would proly suck a lot - Myth definitly isnt similiar to way simplier Halo Wars RTS - but singleplayer would PWN. Well implemented "active-pause" could make Myth playable on xbox pad.
Btw maybe multi could work on xbox as well. AFAIK many xbox users already bought special "thingy" ( to use it with latest Call of Duty shooter ) that allows them to connect both mouse and keyboard to xbox. Whats else can xboxer need tp play Myth ( and have fun ;-) )
In polish this idea would be proly called a "severed head dream"- its proly an idiom - "pipe dream" in english ? Anyways I am sure that this idea is such dream - but damn, that would be best xbl arcade game ever :D
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Jon God

Re: Myth on xbox360 as xbox live arcade game ?

Post by Jon God »

Tireces wrote:Oops I wanted to post it in "how to reinvent myth" topic.

If only some1 ( cough Project cough Magma cough ) could cooperate with Take2 and M$ and release Myth II on Xbox360 as a xbox live arcade game downloadable via xbox live! ( just like Marathon 2 was released as XBL arcade Marathon: Durandal )
I know that multiplayer would proly suck a lot - Myth definitly isnt similiar to way simplier Halo Wars RTS - but singleplayer would PWN. Well implemented "active-pause" could make Myth playable on xbox pad.
Btw maybe multi could work on xbox as well. AFAIK many xbox users already bought special "thingy" ( to use it with latest Call of Duty shooter ) that allows them to connect both mouse and keyboard to xbox. Whats else can xboxer need tp play Myth ( and have fun ;-) )
In polish this idea would be proly called a "severed head dream"- its proly an idiom - "pipe dream" in english ? Anyways I am sure that this idea is such dream - but damn, that would be best xbl arcade game ever :D
Heh, I would prefer PS3, owning both systems, since the PS3 can use user created content. Plus the PS3 supports USB keyboards and mouses.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

PS3 or X360 - no matter - i would like to see it on both : )

Some time ago I started such thread:
http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=4337
but it went a lil off-topic.

It was generaly about PS3 Linux, emulators and Aleph1 working on PS3 = Bungie's Marathon for PS3 owners
So in pure theory PS3 wouldnt even need a Myth II ports like xbox360. In theory maybe some1 who has PS3 could run old linux version ( made by LOKI ) of Myth II. Or not.
Unfortunatly i dont think that any1 tried it yet...

I wonder how hard would it be to port M2 to xbox360...
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Personally I think Myth would be unplayable on XBox 360 or PS3 unless you were using a keyboard and mouse anyway; control using the analogue sticks would be pretty unwieldy, a mouse is pretty important for playing Myth I think.

An iPhone or similar touch-device stands more of a chance, but then they have even fewer control options available, add to that that the screen is fairly small, and while manipulating things your finger(s) will reduce that further, it'd probably be really hard to see what's going on.

Don't underestimate the importance of being able to change a formation to switch to a preset at a single key-press, what would these be replaced by? Most likely you'd end up having to flick through formations/presets, which adds more operations; in the heat of battle that can cost you the game.

So while porting Myth to other platforms is, as always, a cool idea, I think it's an impractical one. Plus I doubt anyone could get Take 2 to do anything about it anyway; if you even got them interested they'd more likely seize control of all source-code, assemble a team of idiots to do the work, and make a complete mess of it.

Not wanting to be the pessimist, but I really dislike Take 2 and other big games producers, and unfortunately I think it's a realistic assessment :(
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

haravikk wrote:Personally I think Myth would be unplayable on XBox 360 or PS3 unless you were using a keyboard and mouse anyway; control using the analogue sticks would be pretty unwieldy, a mouse is pretty important for playing Myth I think.

An iPhone or similar touch-device stands more of a chance, but then they have even fewer control options available, add to that that the screen is fairly small, and while manipulating things your finger(s) will reduce that further, it'd probably be really hard to see what's going on.

Don't underestimate the importance of being able to change a formation to switch to a preset at a single key-press, what would these be replaced by? Most likely you'd end up having to flick through formations/presets, which adds more operations; in the heat of battle that can cost you the game.

So while porting Myth to other platforms is, as always, a cool idea, I think it's an impractical one. Plus I doubt anyone could get Take 2 to do anything about it anyway; if you even got them interested they'd more likely seize control of all source-code, assemble a team of idiots to do the work, and make a complete mess of it.

Not wanting to be the pessimist, but I really dislike Take 2 and other big games producers, and unfortunately I think it's a realistic assessment :(
Halo Wars, while being a pretty boring and crappy game, controlled fine, and it used joysticks. (It made me just wish I was playing Myth, so after playing Halo Wars, I started to play Myth again.)
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

While I haven't played Halo Wars, it's a resource-management RTS; keeping individual units alive is not as important so fine control isn't necessary. I think it's just too different a game to compare really.

In Halo Wars are you ever given only five or six units to use for the entire battle, and have to manage them individually in order to do-so? I don't think you'd fair so well with console controls in that case.

In fact, Halo Wars is an interesting example, as the wikipedia article for it has this quote from Jason Pace who was one of the producers:
Jason Pace wrote:It's something we believe has held strategy games back from succeeding on the console: you can't effectively bring a PC-style strategy game to the console because the fundamental game mechanic is tied to the mouse and keyboard input devices. It's not a question of just changing the control scheme to be gamepad friendly—you need to adapt the underlying strategy mechanic to make sense with the new input device.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

haravikk wrote:While I haven't played Halo Wars, it's a resource-management RTS; keeping individual units alive is not as important so fine control isn't necessary. I think it's just too different a game to compare really.

In Halo Wars are you ever given only five or six units to use for the entire battle, and have to manage them individually in order to do-so? I don't think you'd fair so well with console controls in that case.

In fact, Halo Wars is an interesting example, as the wikipedia article for it has this quote from Jason Pace who was one of the producers:
Jason Pace wrote:It's something we believe has held strategy games back from succeeding on the console: you can't effectively bring a PC-style strategy game to the console because the fundamental game mechanic is tied to the mouse and keyboard input devices. It's not a question of just changing the control scheme to be gamepad friendly—you need to adapt the underlying strategy mechanic to make sense with the new input device.
Hmm. I can see the point, however, I felt that Myth II could be done on a controller, with little hampering of control. I could give an example if you'd like.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Halo RTS has pretty sharp and decent control system - but it defintly wouldnt be enough for Myth multiplayer. Halo Wars are closer to "tap right bumper to select all your units then move right analog stick to the center of enemy units group and then press A button to unleash mayhem" than to micro'ing all units one by one and using formations.
Ofcourse I can imagine that some1 could come up with new polished and great control system for pad - but I bet that even then pad user would quickly loose to some1 with mouse and keyboard connected to xbox360 or any other console - at least when we are talking about Myth - not so sure about Halo Wars tho.

Still I think that Myth singleplayer could rock on any console on even most terrific pad control system thanks to "active pause". Also co-op could probably work well. With 10 or more players when each player hasnt got anything more than a 1 dorf, 1-2 warriors/zerks/other meele units or few arcs - even pad should work fine :D