The Forge Land Bridge

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
barkless

The Forge Land Bridge

Post by barkless »

First, thanks to all who made the Myth games playable on Mac OS X.
Second, for some reason no one can cross the bridge near the end of the level.
What's wrong?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: The Forge Land Bridge

Post by Pyro »

Did you leave some of your units near the beginning of the map? What happens is that no unit can go over the bridge until later on. Once you don't have any unit near the beginning the map makes it so the bridge caves in. Now you can go over it but no longer under it. Myth has a limitation in which you can't have an area you can go over and under at the same time.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Correct. Myth's terrain is represented by a thing called by a mesh; this is simply a 2d grid, where each point can have a vertical (up/down) height. Because of this, there's no such thing as a "bridge", instead you can have a model that allows units to pass over a pretend bit of land, or under a pretend bit of land.

The Forge's bridge is essentially a mixture of both; when you first encounter it the mesh is lowered so that you can pass under it, but later on the model will change, adjusting the mesh beneath it so that you can pass over. Unfortunately because of this it's impossible to have both situations at once, so you can end up with the bridge being stuck in one mode or the other.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
beggar

Post by beggar »

Hmm, me too. I have all of my units in front of the bridge but it hasn't caved in. I've killed all the immediate myrkridia, soulless and fetch over the other side (easy as they couldn't cross). I even took all my units around the map to try and trigger the collapse but to no avail. Any solution?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

beggar wrote:Hmm, me too. I have all of my units in front of the bridge but it hasn't caved in. I've killed all the immediate myrkridia, soulless and fetch over the other side (easy as they couldn't cross). I even took all my units around the map to try and trigger the collapse but to no avail. Any solution?

Do you have a save game? So I can see what is up with it?
Sivart343

Post by Sivart343 »

I am also experiencing this problem. Is there a way to fix it?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Does it always happen? Do you have a saved game? What build of Myth are you using? When you load it, the top left corner will indicate what version and maybe even build.

Just don't leave any of your units near the start of the map. I once heard someone had to throw molotovs in the area under the bridge to break up some remains. Though I never did this myself. I never had this issue. I wonder how you guys keep managing to do this.
Sivart343

Post by Sivart343 »

It has happened every time I have tried to cross the bridge, yes.

I have a saved game. I am using the 1.7.1 public beta 2, Myth II Classic Build 352.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Can you upload your saved game? (this forum has an upload feature)
Sivart343

Post by Sivart343 »

"The extension is not allowed."
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Zip it up first?
Sivart343

Post by Sivart343 »

Sorry. Never tried this before. Not very tech-savvy. :oops:
Attachments
The Forge.zip
(30.32 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Ok I looked at it and don't know why this issue happened. When I asked if this always happens, I meant from a new start not from the same saved game. (I would still like to know.) Because the saved game will always have it the same. I don't know what caused the issue, but I know of a fix without the need to start over. I placed instructions on the first image, and the second will show you how it should look when it collapses the bridge.

The Forge Bridge Fix 1
The Forge Bridge Fix 2

I'm still curious what caused this issue. It is as if the unit the map makes appear to drop projectiles to "break" the bridge did not work for some reason. Any thoughts, Myrd?

Also, why are you using the classic build instead of modern? Modern is for Windows 2000 and up. Classic is for older Windows or if you have issues with Modern.
Sivart343

Post by Sivart343 »

Thanks, I'll try from New Game again today at some point. I'm using Classic because I had the bug where the game crashed after every level completion on the Modern build.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Sivart343 wrote:Thanks, I'll try from New Game again today at some point. I'm using Classic because I had the bug where the game crashed after every level completion on the Modern build.
Can you try out Myth II 1.7.1 Public Beta #2 Modern and tell us if it still happens?

We're planning to remove the Classic build for 1.8, which means we want to fix any remaining issues with the Modern build, so that it could be used by all players on Windows.