The Forge Land Bridge

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Myrd
Site Admin

Re: The Forge Land Bridge

Post by Myrd »

Pyro wrote: I'm still curious what caused this issue. It is as if the unit the map makes appear to drop projectiles to "break" the bridge did not work for some reason. Any thoughts, Myrd?
How is the script / map setup to achieve this?
Sivart343

Post by Sivart343 »

Myrd wrote:
Can you try out Myth II 1.7.1 Public Beta #2 Modern and tell us if it still happens?

We're planning to remove the Classic build for 1.8, which means we want to fix any remaining issues with the Modern build, so that it could be used by all players on Windows.

Okay, I spammed a Timid run in x4 speed on the Modern build and it did not happen.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Myrd wrote:How is the script / map setup to achieve this?
There is an initially active Test Unit called "Blow the bridge?". It looks for Alric in a polygon in the southeast part of the map. If the unit count is greater than zero it succeeds. When it succeeds it triggers 8 actions. One of these is a Unit Control with an invisible unit marked to detonate immediately to become visible. This unit drops a projectile that damages the scenery object that triggers the animation of the land bridge collapse. I looked at a film made from the saved game and it seems that Unit Control was not activated somehow.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

So curious bungie does it this way...

Why wouldn't they use an ANIM. action to just animate the bridge to its 'collapsed' form, then add the extra scenery through a detonating monster like they do. That way it doesnt rely on the detonating monster to detonate. Weird.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

It does sound weird, but think of it this way... if the script broke the player has a way to make it happen without restarting the map. I still can't see how that action failed to trigger. The debugger claims it succeeded.
killerking

Post by killerking »

Graydon wrote:So curious bungie does it this way...

Why wouldn't they use an ANIM. action to just animate the bridge to its 'collapsed' form, then add the extra scenery through a detonating monster like they do. That way it doesnt rely on the detonating monster to detonate. Weird.
Because you can't cheat that way so you won't be able to win in 9min05?
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Is the unit-control definitely not triggering? It seems more likely that it's projectile isn't getting created for some reason perhaps?
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

haravikk wrote: It seems more likely that it's projectile isn't getting created for some reason perhaps?
I was going to suggest this, is alric dispersaling at the time he crosses the line or something?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

It doesn't seem like the map was reaching its projectile limit. The first page has the saved game file as an attachment if any of you wish to see it. Just load the saved game and quit, you will have a film of what happened as the Last Recording. The CTRL does activate, and the unit does appear. However something causes the damage or even the projectile itself to be off centered. If you look at the recording when alric crosses the magma river like area, keep looking under the bridge. Viewing from north to south, you will see that suddenly a bunch of broken arrows will disappear. The myrk remains however are untouched. So the projectile appears and did damage but not on the scenery or enough to blow it.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Here I made a test plug (included a film I made using it) that you can use to test this. It seems there is some sort of conflict when there are projectiles in the area where the projectile meant to "break" the bridge. Fast forward the film to the 7:46 mark where the projectile will appear under the bridge. Some thrall remains will move while the rest will not.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Turns out there's a limit to how many objects an explosion can affect. The limit is currently 88. What's happening is it reaches limit before it gets a chance to damage the scenery that triggers the model animation.

I will see if this limit can be increased for 1.7.1.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I have found a way to fix this issue for good - yet another bug fix for 1.7.1 final.