HD Label Misuse

Talk about anything here.
remedial

Re: HD Label Misuse

Post by remedial »

I can agree that I've noticed a lot of things have been adopting the title "High Defintion" or "HD" lately. I guess I find it slightly annoying...but only slightly (in the same way that so many products in the past had adopted the "i" or "e" prefixes and other marketing trends)

But I also don't think it's a topic that holds too much potential for debate- especially in the case of the Myth "HD" units. They look great and probably required a boatload of effort and attention- which, in my opinion, is commendable by any name.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

Khadrelt wrote:NEW MYTH IDEA:

Myth (insert desired number here): The Debate Age.

I can hardly believe what I have just witnessed. As we approached the village of Willow Creek, we saw what appeared to be a band of politicians bloviating to the peasantry. If only it had been so. We rushed to the fray and were able to save a handful of people from the wretched quarrels of the talking dead.
:O hahahahahaha
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

35mm film actually carries far more resolution than 1080x1920 so other factors would be the limiting factor.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Khadrelt wrote:
NEW MYTH IDEA:

Myth (insert desired number here): The Debate Age.

I can hardly believe what I have just witnessed. As we approached the village of Willow Creek, we saw what appeared to be a band of politicians bloviating to the peasantry. If only it had been so. We rushed to the fray and were able to save a handful of people from the wretched quarrels of the talking dead.
Khadrelt you are way behind on this Myth version. Below is the link to the site to get Myth the debate age.

www.projectmagma.net/forums
Point

Post by Point »

oogaBooga wrote:
HD like myth 4 are both miss labels no question or debate needed to know that... though hey par for the course...
Point, kindly shut the fuck up.
wind age are mostly just higher resolution untextured
Wrong. They are completely textured.

Cease from re-iterating your broken-record spiel about how you don't like the name.
texture mapped with dynamic textures... or adjustments in hue changes or something simply looks real plastic on zoom in... especially side by side a greek bitmap...

an appropriate change in the spelling then the spiel ceases. :)
simple how that works. make good choices follow with good actions and good things happen.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Deqlyn wrote: Khadrelt you are way behind on this Myth version. Below is the link to the site to get Myth the debate age.
http://www.projectmagma.net/forums
That link just gets me an error. What was it supposed to link to?

Who DARES to claim he invented the Debate Age before ME??? Have at thee, knave! I shall pierce you through with my rapier wit and bombastic rhetoric!
The cake is a lie.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Remove the "s" from the end and it should work.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

texture mapped with dynamic textures... or adjustments in hue changes or something simply looks real plastic on zoom in...
Mb get your eyes checked.
an appropriate change in the spelling then the spiel ceases. :)
simple how that works. make good choices follow with good actions and good things happen.
A smart decision would be to take your own advice and make sure your own works are up to snuff. The last thing I saw you make had some of the worst animations i've ever seen, and purple outlines everywhere (almost as if someone didn't know how to use alpha maps to get rid of anti-aliased edges on their units).
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

it would be fun if point actually released one of his maps instead of posting the same screenshots every few months. :)
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

hey come on guys, this has turned into a bar brawl
all negative and nothing positive

the only thing I see interesting is what you said Ooga:
and purple outlines everywhere... (... how to use alpha maps to get rid of anti-aliased edges on their units).
what's alpha maps and how do you use that?
my units all have edges that I afterwards need to color hue to take them out, cause I antialias them....

would be cool to know how to do that thing you say.... :wink:
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Point

Post by Point »

lol Oog of course you can be critical of my stuff it isnt meant to be great good or off the hook cool... its meant to be quick and fun to make and be nifty to play.

and I get rid of blue hues as the last step in photoshop with the color plate so sorry if you using my units in the wind age for all this time of TWA betas was so unpleasant for you ;)

If your going to be critical at least be honest about your own plugin, even you aren't that close to see the areas that can be improved.

zeph last map plug i posted has over 300 downloads so there is fun to be had what would be fun is to see more than 8 in a game some time.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

what happened point you were all impressed with our demo at one point in time.

We really like the soldier you made us that can run. We just need a higher res version of him so he can fit in with evreybody else.
Last edited by Renwood on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

so sorry if you using my units in the wind age for all this time of TWA betas was so unpleasant for you ;)

Don't get me wrong point, the soldier you made for us PLAYS really well - he's in fact one of our favorite melee units. I just wish he was a little higher res and didnt have that blueish outline.

The animations also made no sense when you gave it to me originally, so all the melee attacks you see were actually hobbled together from various non-adjacent frames.
even you aren't that close to see the areas that can be improved.

Not quite sure what you mean by this.. I zoom in a lot. I can quickly zoom back out at a moments notice by hitting H then holding zoom out. But then again you could argue that there's added incentive to zooming in when your units are higher res. :P

To both you and carlinho: Graydon showed me the technique to get rid of anti-aliasing so I think i'll describe it as succinctly as I can right here:

Alright, to prepare you're going to need a little plugin for photoshop that allows you to see and interact with the alpha maps in .PNG renders. Unless you're using another image type that already has an alpha channel, in which case you won't need the plugin.

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... ds/Png.8bi

Put that thing in the following folders in photoshop:

Program files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop (CS2 for me)/Plug-Ins/File Formats.

If you havent used alpha channels before, while in photoshop go to the "windows" pulldown menu and choose channel so it's active. Youll see "RGB, red, green and blue", and if your image contains an alpha, below those will be "alpha".

You will want to make your render settings include a "Mask" (another term for alpha) in whatever program you are using, and the following formats usually contain alpha: TGA (targa), PNG, and TIFF. Although tiff is huge.

Also, I cant stress this enough: if you use this anti-alias method, make sure the background is BLACK. This will give you the best result. And yes, I do plan on telling you how to make the background blue for the final bitmaps. But the black is necessary for the visual quality of this technique.

Now, once youve got your images ready and you are sure that they contain alphas, you'll want to make a batch action of the following steps:

Once you have one of your unit renders open (doesnt matter which one, you wont actually be saving any changes onto it, you will only have it open in order to construct the batch action), youll want to go to "Windows/Actions" and hit the file button that starts recording a new batch action. I call mine "anti alias removal".

Step 1: left click once on the "alpha" portion of the channels window, and you will see a black and white representation of the opacity (transparency) in the picture.

Step 2: Go to "Mode", and then "adjustments" and choose "brightness/contrast". Turn the contrast up to 100. Full contrast, meaning only black and white will appear instead of shades of gray in the alpha channel. (NOTE: you will want to make a second batch action with all the steps here, but instead of 100 youll want to change it to 99. This is for use with body parts - sometimes if an image is too small, using 100 will cause the batch action to break and stop working. I have two actions: anti alias removal, and anti alias removal for body parts. All other steps will be exactly the same, just make sure the one for units is set to 100 contrast, and the one for body parts is 99 contrast)

Step 3: Now, you'll want to hold control and left click on the alpha channel in the channel window. This should highlight only the white portion of the alpha image.

Step 4: Keeping the white portion selected, youll want to click once on the "RGB" portion of the channel window. This will keep your selection from the alpha but allow you to work in the colors of the image.

Step 5: Go to "Select/Modify/Contract" and set it to contract by 1 pixel.

Step 6: Go to "Select/Inverse" to inverse the selection. Now you have the background and one pixels width of the image selected all around its edges. Now, you want to set your background color to whatever you normally use for bitmaps (I use 240/100/100, AKA true blue, which is what bungie uses). Make sure you SET the background color and that it is recorded, otherwise it may not be true blue every time (if youve been working on something else, itll simply use whatever background color is currently being used).

Step 7: hit delete. You should now see a blue-backgrounded unit render and no fuzzy blue edges. From this step I usually go to "image/mode/indexed color" and choose either "local(perceptual)" or "local(selective)". I then record a "save as" command, and choose "bitmap", and tell it to go into a folder I use (I call it render dump). Make sure you dont change the name of the saved file - or else it will always save every processed image as the same name, and an entire batch will constantly overwrite itself to a single file, wasting a lot of time.

So, in summary: Set alpha channel contrast to 99 or 100, control-select the alpha in the channels window, contract by 1 pixel, inverse selection, choose background color, and hit delete. Then save-as without altering the name (dont worry if it says "copy" at the end, dont alter anything about the name) into a folder.

Now, you will have created the batch action, so you should make sure you hit "close" and if it asks you to save, say no. Then hit "stop recording" in the batch action window. That way, when youre processing your images, instead of it bringing up 200 images and never getting rid of them after processing, it will only pop up 1 at a time, and close once the action is completed.

Anyways, if there are any questions about this method, let me know. It's worked for over 28 units i've created like a charm.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

carlinho wrote:
and purple outlines everywhere... (... how to use alpha maps to get rid of anti-aliased edges on their units).
what's alpha maps and how do you use that?
my units all have edges that I afterwards need to color hue to take them out, cause I antialias them....
An alpha map is simply per-pixel transparency, i.e - a layer mask or an alpha channel in Photoshop. I wouldn't recommend using them to fix errors in rendered images as they are more complex to render in Myth, really you need to remove the problem from the renders by disabling anti-aliasing, either for the whole render, or for the edges (some programs let you do that, though it may require several complex steps depending on the program).

IMO Myth units don't benefit much from anti-aliasing in the render process, and if you're rendering hi-res units then you don't really need it anyway. You end up with "harder" edges on the sprites, but on OpenGL and Direct3D Myth should blend these anyway, if they're even that noticeable in the first-place.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

thanks Ooga!!! that' s what forums are helpful for!!!!

vinyl, there's much discussion about antialiasing, I know it sucks for myth, but somehow the poser renders I get with it enabled are much better than without,
textures are softened and look much better when i do antialias units ...
but yep blue borders suck

what I usually did was just create a hue change in oak that replaces the blue for black or something similar....but this new info is great!!!
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.