Myth Dev. 16 Sprite Rotations for collections??

Talk about anything here.
asydrayne

Myth Dev. 16 Sprite Rotations for collections??

Post by asydrayne »

With the new updates to Myth that allow for higher resolution collections, has anyone looked into changing the code to allow for sprites with more than 8 rotations? It would be cool to see some high res units with 16 rotations instead of eight.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth Dev. 16 Sprite Rotations for collections??

Post by Pyro »

No code change would be needed. You would just need to make renders on the correct angles and build a collection tag with them.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

That being said, 'high res' units are already rendered at approximately 2-4x scaled height ways meaning more system memory required to render each unit in action in game. By adding in double the bitmaps at the already large scale, you'd surely need a supercomputer to handle it in game.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

my units are rendered with 12 angles medium resolution(must be playable) and they take about 10 megs each :o
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Zeph wrote:my units are rendered with 12 angles medium resolution(must be playable) and they take about 10 megs each :o
I must sound like a broken record here, but I'll say it again:

Collection size on disk is not the same as the amount of memory used during gameplay.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

How about a new contest? First person to make a unit collection so big no one can play it wins!
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Nice derailment of a genuine thread VR. Take your shit elsewhere dood. Seriously.

And yes, as Melekor said, the system memory does not directly relate to the total byte-size of the collection. It's actually exponentially larger.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Graydon I was just reacting to your comment about needing a supercomputer in what was meant to be a humorous way. how was i to know someone peed in your cornflakes this morning?
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

GUYS I WAS NOT REFERRING TO THE LAG jesus

All I'm saying is that my units take a lot of hard disk place compared to original bungie units. I also said I render them in medium-res so it's playable everywhere.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

I'm not sure if there is a limit to the number of angles - I would imagine it's 360, but I havent actually tried it. For all I know there could be 720 angle sprites that change every half-a-degree.

Actually im going to open up the collection editor and see if it lets me.

Oh, wow.

Oh, wow oh wow oh wow. 360 works. Then 720. Then 1440.

I stopped at 1440 because it's pretty clear that it simply does math to divide the degrees up.

Someone make a 1440-angled tree that crashes myth plz.
asydrayne

Post by asydrayne »

Nice.

I didn't realize you could already do more rotations. So I guess what is needed is support for different resolutions of the same textures. That way slower computers could use smaller scaled textures and still play with people who want to use high res textures.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Interesting. So what are you working on Asydrayne? Making more collections to add to the new hi-res?
asydrayne

Post by asydrayne »

Heh, no.

I did do some 3d animation back in the day, but I'm a better programmer than an animator. Myth2 is still one of the best games of all time, and when I heard about hi-res units I had to put in my two cents.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

Well seeing as how the high def collections ooga and i made are hard for some myth users to play with only 8 angles. I belive anything beyond that number is not a good idea. Also we tried more angles with some collections and there is a VERY noticeable fact that the units are changing the side/angle thats facing the camera a LOT MORE.
In fact its rather distracting and i would think maybe 12 angles would be the most sane idea if it was increased at all.

-Ren
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

sometimes 16 angles for units that are too wide is great
but I think it definitely takes a toll on slower computers...by what I'm reading...
or I'm getting it wrong?
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.